Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1994 Grand Cherokee V8 -- transmission issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8
Default 1994 Grand Cherokee V8 -- transmission issue?

Two years ago I purchased a 1994 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L V8. Aside from performance exhaust and regular oil changes, not much had been done with her. I've replaced tires, brakes, hoses, belts, etc.

Now I'm having issues with my transmission. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is really sticky. All other gears appear fine. My question is, is it worth trying a conditioner to see if that buys me some time or should I just replace the entire transmission?

Anyone else with this specific make/model have any other insights into what I should be expecting as far as issues? My last Jeep was also a '94 but I had the 4.0L engine.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:11 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

How many miles you got on it and has the fluid and filter ever been changed?
Old 04-05-2016, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Miles: 154,000+/-
New filter and fluid.

I am the 4th owner of this Jeep. The first was a tech school that used it to run parts. The second was an older gentleman that kept it in his garage and only drove it minimally during the winter (20 years of oil change receipts seem to confirm this), and the guy I bought it from had it one year and then decided to move somewhere warmer.

There are electrical issues that I'm ignoring for the moment. The last owner replaced a couple of things incorrectly and since I purchased it, I have been slowing replacing the little things here and there. The radiator hose I replaced last month still had factory stickers on it, so when the guy said "all original"... he wasn't joking!
Old 04-05-2016, 10:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 5.9L 360 ci

Originally Posted by GrandAdventures

Miles: 154,000+/-
New filter and fluid.

Is that new "TRANNY" fluid and filter?

1st and 2nd are usually the first to go.

It is always a good idea to inspect your fluids(oil,tranny,brake,coolant,etc) for contaminants, fluid discoloration, or sparkles. Sparkles in the coolant, usually is a strong sign of overheating/headgasket problems.

Sparkles in the Tranny aren't necessarily terrible. These are tiny shavings of the synchros/mesh gears, within the transmission. If you should find these shavings in your transmission, often a true, and HONEST mechanic, will tell you the shavings are probably holding the synchros together.

A fluid swap and filter change could flush all the shavings that are "gluing" the gears together, and cause more problems than you had before.

So unless you are already having major transmission issues, normally just leave it alone, or maybe a partial drain. Then top off with a stop slip additive.

I hope its not too late for your Transmission, but from experience, before you sink too much into saving the tranny, you may just have it inspected and replaced.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:24 PM
Old fart with a wrench

I'm sorry, but I have a strong feeling about transmission additives. In most cases they may help for a short while, but in the long run, they cause more problems that they cure. Mopar certified ATF+4 is all you should EVER use in a jeep automatic transmission other than the AW4. If it doesn't work with that, you should think about rebuilding or replacing it. JMHO however.

BTW, there are no "synchros" in an automatic. All the gears are in constant mesh and the clutches engage the proper gearset for each gear.

Last edited by dave1123; 04-05-2016 at 11:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NCTOM0966 (08-24-2023)
Old 04-06-2016, 07:34 AM

Thanks for the advice! I had a feeling that eventually a new transmission was in my future, so I think I'll just deal with it for as long as I can.

I'm not as familiar with the 5.0L V8 engine, but I've heard that it is a beast and will last awhile, so I'm not too worried about dropping the money for a new transmission when the time comes.

Appreciate the help!
Old 04-06-2016, 09:39 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

On my old '94 5.2L ZJ, it had the exact issue you're talking about when I bought it, I put Lucas Oil Transmission Leak Stop-Fix into the transmission fluid compartment and it stopped slipping almost immediately. Ask for it by name at your local auto parts store, and if they don't have it in-stock (mine didn't), they'll order it for you! Hope this fixes your issue!
Old 04-07-2016, 04:56 AM
Old fart with a wrench

The 5.2L engine is a Dodge 318 and has been around quite a while. It's a good strong motor.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:13 AM

Thanks! I'm going to look into the Lucas Oil Transmission Leak Stop-Fix. Seems like a good first step.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:33 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Well, as I said, I believe it's a stop-gap measure that might work for awhile.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:37 AM

If it buys me some time to save up for a new tranny, then I'm happy.
Old 08-24-2023, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by GrandAdventures
If it buys me some time to save up for a new tranny, then I'm happy.
I know I'm reviving a very old post. But how did that go?
BTW I think the guy meant Lucas Transmission Stop-Slip not stop leak, that's a different type of additive that wouldn't help your transmission problem.
You can also open the transmission pan remove & replace pickup filter and screw in return filter then check your solenoid pack, the pressure governor, shift solenoid can be your transmission issue. If it's old or malfunctioning that electronic component can cause issues with PCM/ECU communications and cause strange shifting symptoms. I've seen many with 1-2 gears malfunctioning in different ways only to completely fix after changing valve body solenoids and shift pressure gov. ONLY USE OEM solenoids and shift packs.
it's my general rule of thumb, when I'm changing sensors or important electrical components I stick with factory OEM brand from a trusted supplier. No aftermarket.
I've seen even well known good brands that had ignition coil wires reversed. And that's a simple example of how aftermarket brands don't understand the critical role, function and design of your make, model, engine and transmission the way OE manufacturer does.

But when it comes to suspension, steering, brakes, wheels, and cooling system components I go Aftermarket (MOOG tie rods/control arms/sway bar links and bushings, Mevotech ball joints, Delphi ignition coils, Denso Radiator is the OEM of WJ, Champion Spark Plugs 439 copper on 4.7l WJ, Spectra Premium Radiator top 5 in radiators.)
​​