Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

P1281 Code

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default P1281 Code

I have an 04 Grand Cherokee Laredo. I have seen on the code sheet in the forum here that it is this. P1281 Engine is Cold Too Long Engine coolant temperature remains below normal operating temperatures during vehicle travel (Thermostat).

Has anyone dealt with this code and what was the solution?

Thank you,

Jason
Old 05-13-2009, 07:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a "rationality" code. If the temp sensor readings were out-of-range, you would have temp sensor circuit failure codes.

Either the thermostat is defective, broken, or wrong temp-range.

Replace the thermostat.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

I ran into this issue today. Replaced the the thermostat. Problem solved.
Old 09-06-2022, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not Always the T-Stat or sensor!

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I have not found this answer anywhere and had to figure it out myself. I Thought it might help somebody else, particularly when a lot of us are not driving as much these days.

Low Battery Voltage, due to short trips (Incomplete charging or weak alternator), may affect P1281 and misfiring too. I have had a random misfires for so long that I just clear the codes from time to time. I might not see them for weeks or month at a time, sometime every day or so. Serendipitously, I was going to be away from my jeep for a week and put it on a NOCO 1 amp Minder/Desulfator/Charger.

When I got back, I cleared the codes and found P1281 which was new. After charging, no new codes have popped up.

So, I started plugging it in every day and my intermittent start up fast idle went away. My temp gauge was not randomly reading low (which was a recent development fitting code P1291)

Misfires never seemed to be cylinders that shared a coil (last time it was 1,4 and 6) Over the years, I had already changed the plugs twice (once back to the factory recommended plug), checked the injector circuits, replaced the injectors. Just before last inspection, I Changed the fuel filter/regulator (which magically cleared the codes by itself immediately!) Replaced the Cam sensor (I had a code at the time, my first one several years ago) It is an I6 and has always seemed rough to me. I chalked it up to being and I6, LOL. But my wife felt the difference with the new Filter/Regulator!

It has only been 10 days of keeping the battery topped off, but with the temp gauge behaving I am cautiously optimistic.

I have read that code P1291 does not always show up under these conditions, So we will see.

I know from experience that my 1998 Ram 360 would not idle after it needed a jump until it ran a while with a foot on the gas. My 1998 ZJ 318 is the same. I chalked it up to the voltage being too low to fire the ignition. But I figured once it was running there would be no problem and in those V8 vehicles I never got a misfire or P1281 code.

When I would get Misfire codes in my I6 2000 WJ, it always seemed to be right around when it would be going into closed loop, sometimes going in to limp mode just as I was trying to get on the freeway, that was always fun.

So IF it comes down to short trip incomplete battery recharge I will be happy, but sad that it hadn't occurred to me sooner.

Last edited by JO00WJ; 09-06-2022 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Gramar
Old 08-25-2023, 04:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JO00WJ
It is not Always the T-Stat or sensor!

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I have not found this answer anywhere and had to figure it out myself. I Thought it might help somebody else, particularly when a lot of us are not driving as much these days.

Low Battery Voltage, due to short trips (Incomplete charging or weak alternator), may affect P1281 and misfiring too. I have had a random misfires for so long that I just clear the codes from time to time. I might not see them for weeks or month at a time, sometime every day or so. Serendipitously, I was going to be away from my jeep for a week and put it on a NOCO 1 amp Minder/Desulfator/Charger.

When I got back, I cleared the codes and found P1281 which was new. After charging, no new codes have popped up.

So, I started plugging it in every day and my intermittent start up fast idle went away. My temp gauge was not randomly reading low (which was a recent development fitting code P1291)

Misfires never seemed to be cylinders that shared a coil (last time it was 1,4 and 6) Over the years, I had already changed the plugs twice (once back to the factory recommended plug), checked the injector circuits, replaced the injectors. Just before last inspection, I Changed the fuel filter/regulator (which magically cleared the codes by itself immediately!) Replaced the Cam sensor (I had a code at the time, my first one several years ago) It is an I6 and has always seemed rough to me. I chalked it up to being and I6, LOL. But my wife felt the difference with the new Filter/Regulator!

It has only been 10 days of keeping the battery topped off, but with the temp gauge behaving I am cautiously optimistic.

I have read that code P1291 does not always show up under these conditions, So we will see.

I know from experience that my 1998 Ram 360 would not idle after it needed a jump until it ran a while with a foot on the gas. My 1998 ZJ 318 is the same. I chalked it up to the voltage being too low to fire the ignition. But I figured once it was running there would be no problem and in those V8 vehicles I never got a misfire or P1281 code.

When I would get Misfire codes in my I6 2000 WJ, it always seemed to be right around when it would be going into closed loop, sometimes going in to limp mode just as I was trying to get on the freeway, that was always fun.

So IF it comes down to short trip incomplete battery recharge I will be happy, but sad that it hadn't occurred to me sooner.
Your saying it's becuse of a low battery? I have had this stubborn misfire since I got the jeep, and replaced the motor recently, and it still misfiring- my codes are

0132 O2 sensor it is an indication of a problem with the 02 oxygen sensor. Specifically, that the oxygen sensor has stayed at a high voltage for too long without switching back
1492 When the P0132 trouble code has been stored by the power control module, it is an indication of a problem with the 02 oxygen sensor. Specifically, that the oxygen sensor has stayed at a high voltage for too long without switching back

It's stumbling and misfiring all the time from 1500-2000 rpm and runs great under full acceleration