Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED Off Road Light Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.
Default LED Off Road Light Install Questions

Hey All!

I am new to the forums here and I am also pretty new to Jeep Life, I come from a Toyota 4x4 background having owned a few Yota Pickups now.

With that said I have picked up a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Leredo that is in overall good condition she has some little things she needs but was a one owner from an older woman in my town.

It has the Factory Fog Lights on the bumper that are from what I understand 55w and draw 4.5 amps if I am not mistaken. I purchased myself a set of 6.5" 36w CREE LED floods for the front.

So my question is would I be able to splice these right in to the factory wiring harness assuming my 36w LEDS do not draw more than 4.5 amps?

Can anyone give me an idea on this?

Here is a link to the ones that I bought.

Amazon.com: Nilight 36w LED Flood Work Light Off Road LED Light Bar Super Bright for Jeep Cabin/boat/SUV/truck/car/ATVs, 2 Piece: Automotive Amazon.com: Nilight 36w LED Flood Work Light Off Road LED Light Bar Super Bright for Jeep Cabin/boat/SUV/truck/car/ATVs, 2 Piece: Automotive
Old 01-08-2016, 08:01 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

correct.

i have the single row version of those (18w) in the stock fog location and spliced into stock fog wiring
Old 01-09-2016, 12:25 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Good to know. I was thinking about swapping out the factory fogs for some LEDs.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:41 PM

Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by rzldzl
correct.

i have the single row version of those (18w) in the stock fog location and spliced into stock fog wiring
Thank you rzldzl for replying to this it was very helpful. My dad and I put the lights on this Friday and they are awesome. We cut the plugs off of the back of the stock light and wired those to the new lights so that everything can be plugged in like it should.

It took a two tries at first to get the wires right because you would think that the black wire is always the ground. which it is on the harness portion of the wiring but on the plug part that is cut off of the old light it is a black wire and a black/white wire.

The Black/White wire is actually the ground on the plug and the black wire is actually the hot wire that you connect to red wire on your new lights. but when you look at the female end of the plug that is still attached to the harness you realize the the male plugs when plugged together that the black/white goes to a black wire and the black goes to a green/black wire on the female side.

Once we got the connection corrected and plugged it all back up BOOM bright new LED lights on the bumper. Cant wait to get up to the mountains soon and really give these a test.

Sorry I forgot to take photos while doing the wiring and the install for everyone I will at least take some after photos and show how bright the lights are in case any one would like to pick some up for theirs.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:44 PM

Default DO IT

Originally Posted by Jonnylaw
Good to know. I was thinking about swapping out the factory fogs for some LEDs.
I would say do it! These things are amazing I will post some photos and maybe a link to a video of the light in action when I can.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:12 PM

Engine: I6 4.0L 242

How did you guys mount the new LED fogs in the OEM locations? My OEM lights are finally dead and I want to swap over to more LEDs.

Haven't poked around enough to see what fabbing I'd need to do.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by k4ylr
How did you guys mount the new LED fogs in the OEM locations? My OEM lights are finally dead and I want to swap over to more LEDs.

The ones that I linked in the first post that I made will come with mounting hardware that will fit directly into the stock locations, although I see that you drive a newer model of the XJ so they do not have them in the same location if I am not mistaken. I will take a photo of them on my Jeep during my lunch break and post them for you so you can see. Good luck!

Last edited by Ajetski07; 01-12-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:23 PM

Engine: I6 4.0L 242

Originally Posted by Ajetski07
The ones that I linked in the first post that I made will come with mounting hardware that will fit directly into the stock locations, although I see that you drive a newer model of the XJ so they do not have them in the same location if I am not mistaken. I will take a photo of them on my Jeep during my lunch break and post them for you so you can see. Good luck!

Gotcha, my 01 has a bracket coming off the lower lip to mount the OEM lights. It's just been too cold to fart around under the heep.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by k4ylr

how i did mine

mounted in stock location in behind air dam

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/le...cation-202330/

dont use em much anymore, put jw speaker headlights in her xj, they provide perfect lighting
Old 01-14-2016, 01:45 PM

Default UPDATE

Sorry for the delays you guys but I got some photos of the new lights on the bumper so anyone interested can see what they look like mounted up. I will put some more photo's up with them in action this weekend. They are very bright and light up the country roads real nice. I think one thing I may change is the mounting bracket that it came with, they do come with a lot of adjustability but they are awkwardly positioned and the added adjustability does nothing in my case. Otherwise I say go get yourself some of these lights you will not be disappointed.

Last edited by Ajetski07; 01-14-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:32 PM

Sorry for the delays again everyone work has been hectic for me lately. Here are some photos of the lights at night on the river road by my house.