Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep started spraying ATF everywhere. Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep started spraying ATF everywhere. Please Help.

Hello everyone,

Last week i purchased a 1991 Jeep Comanche in what i believe to be very good condition. The person i bought it from explained to me that the engine(inline 6 4.0)/trans had been taken out of a newer jeep Cherokee and they had about 90,xxx miles on them.

The Comanche started right up and drove great, only problem was the brakes were a little soft because they had not been bled correctly and the coolant in the radiator looked very old/nasty.

I drove the jeep home, about an hour and a half, some hwy, some back roads and it did great, no problems at all. The next day i flushed the radiator and filled it back up with new coolant. Drove the jeep around the block and everything seemed to be great.

I have not got around to tagging it yet because of how busy work has been, but i drive it around the neighborhood every couple of days just for fun.

Last night i took it on a drive around the block, has to be less then a mile, i checked under the jeep before i left to see if anything looked like it had been leaking, no leaks everything seemed great. Then i pulled back into the drive way after riding around the neighborhood and i could see the jeep was smoking and it had a burning smell to it. I shut it off and looked under the car and there was tons of ATF on the ground and a trail all the way up the drive way. I crawled under it real quick and noticed the outlet line from the trans was where everything was spraying out of, and that where the line met the trans was very loose.

It was dark last night and i had to go to work early this morning so i haven't had a chance to really look at anything yet. But it is definitely leaking ATF and it is definitely coming from that return line. (I'll attach pictures, sorry the first picture of the hose coming out of the trans is upside down)

I was just wondering if anyone has had this happen before or knows why this would have happened just driving the jeep around the neighborhood, especially after it rode an hour and a half earlier in the week with no problems.

Any advice or insight would be much appreciated. Im hoping its just tightening something back down or getting a new hose but im not sure.

Thanks,
-Micah
Attached Thumbnails Jeep started spraying ATF everywhere. Please Help.-photo-dec-12-2-45-57-pm.jpg   Jeep started spraying ATF everywhere. Please Help.-photo-dec-18-7-48-01-am.jpg   Jeep started spraying ATF everywhere. Please Help.-photo-dec-18-8-03-13-am.png  
Old 12-18-2015, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

Hi Micah,
maybe the attached scheme might help. To me it looks like No. 3, but I'm not sure.
Greetings from Germany
Michael
Old 12-18-2015, 10:01 AM

Thanks Michaelo, ill be sure to give that a check when i get off work this afternoon.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

Looks more like No. 2 to me. You probably need to replace the fittings/quick disconnect assembly on that line. Shouldn't cost too much. Looks like the disconnect broke and is not sealing correctly causing fluid to spew out.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:12 AM

I have a feeling it's something along those lines. Thanks for the input 93XJeeper!
Old 12-18-2015, 10:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Agreed with 93XJeeper, looks like the cooling line(s) going to the trans are leaking. Not sure if you know what year the newer engine/trans come out of but they should all be the same. Go to Rockauto.com and look under like a 96 cherokee, 4.0L, go to the "Transmission-Automatic" section and find the "Oil Cooler Line Connector" section.

DORMAN 800714 is what you need. Parts stores might sell this too
Old 12-18-2015, 10:47 AM

Thank you t.mcginley i've been looking all morning for an actually part number for that piece.

Appreciate the help!
Old 12-19-2015, 07:04 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by micahbearden
Thank you t.mcginley i've been looking all morning for an actually part number for that piece.

Appreciate the help!
Pretty sure they're the same as the fuel lines:

Fuel disconnects

Quick disconnect part numbers

The Napa part numbers for just o-rings *is:

Napa 730-5018 3/8 Viton individual o-rings
Napa 730-5017 5/16 Viton individual o-rings
Napa CRB 212305 fuel line repair kit 5/16
*Remember to re-use your old spacer between the 2 new o-rings!!

Mopar repair kits:

83502745 fuel line repair kit 5/16
83504447 fuel line/Trans line repair kit 3/8