Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

After Market Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.
Default After Market Alarm

Hey Everyone,

This seems to be a common thing with the old XJ's like mine and them having really odd alarms on them. I am able to use mine fine, in theory, it doesn't act weird other than the clicker has to basically be at the window to unlock the car. It also seems like my alarm remote is going south on me and I do not know how much longer it will last.

I have read other owners who say that even when the car and remote were new it still had to be right up on it to unlock with the factory alarm. I want to delete the factory one and have an aftermarket system installed on my Jeep.

Do I need to do anything on my own to delete the factory one or should I just take it in to have a new alarm put in and they will disconnect that stock alarm?

Thank you everyone!
Old 03-30-2016, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I'd vote for going with the professionals.

Also, from experience. .. once they install one, FULLY check it out. Lock it. Check all the doors. Unlock it. Check all the doors.

Had mine installed and they forgot to hook up the driver side back door autolock. It only opens when I use the buttons or do it manually. My gf got it for Christmas for me and when I noticed it 2 months later, they said too bad.

Futher, I recommend an autostart function. Let's the Jeep warm up on cool days. It's easier on ol girl.