Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

94 cherokee radio help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 94 cherokee radio help

I just bought a 94 cherokee 2 door and I went to put a radio I bought from advance auto in and it had to find the wiring diagrams for the factory adaptor and for some reason it's still not working. Not power or nothing. I'm getting 12 volts constant to pink I think and 12 volts switched to purple/white. 2 different radios and still no luck. Any advice?
Old 03-29-2016, 04:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

make sure you have a good ground.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...tail/1152.html
Old 03-29-2016, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by mikesignal
I mean its good enough for me to check voltage against. I'm getting volts like I should be. I had it working with the first radio for like 5 seconds. I didn't have the antenna hooked up or it installed in the dash so I unplugged it to finish the rest and when I plugged it back in it hasn't come on since. This ishould aggravating
Old 03-29-2016, 05:47 PM

did you try the old radio? is it powering up from the Jeep wiring?...i would try to bench test the new radio to see if it powers up. Do you have access to a power supply? or just put 12 volts and ground directly to the radio. I use wires with alligator clips to do that.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:28 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

I know the aftermarket wiring harnesses for older Jeeps (my old '94 ZJ Grand Cherokee included) have no ground, so you have to splice the ground spade that was once connected to the back of the stock radio into the ground wire on the wiring harness that came in the box of your new radio (I used electrical tape to tape the ground spade onto the ground connection, and it worked fine the whole time I had the Jeep).

Most aftermarket radios have a 10A fuse (red fuse) inserted into the back of it what provides power to the radio, and trips the fuse if too much power is applied to prevent damage to the radio itself. Did you pull that fuse and make sure it's not blown, replacing it with a good-known 10A (red) fuse?
Old 03-30-2016, 02:12 PM

did you try the old radio? is it powering up from the Jeep wiring?...i would try to bench test the new radio to see if it powers up. Do you have access to a power supply? or just put 12 volts and ground directly to the radio. I use wires with alligator clips to do that.

There isn't one. It had no radio. I think it was my fault. I had the illumination wire connected wrong or something else and it burned out the radio and there is no fuse in the aftermarket radio I bought. Cause I connected it to the battery and still had nothing. But I found an old Kenwood in my shop at work and bench tested that and it worked. So it was something I did. And illumination goes to the switched wire right? Just wanna make sure before I burn more radios lmao.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:19 PM

sounds like you let the magic smoke out--usually happens when you reverse the polarity. There should be a diode inside the radio that burned up. The diode is there to protect the radio in the event the polarity is reversed. You can easily replace it. Not sure of the exact part number but a 1n4001 or 1n4004 diode should work. You might be able to look up the radio schematic to find the part number. You just have to make sure the band on the diode is in the correct side of the circuit.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:42 AM

sounds like you let the magic smoke out--usually happens when you reverse the polarity. There should be a diode inside the radio that burned up. The diode is there to protect the radio in the event the polarity is reversed. You can easily replace it. Not sure of the exact part number but a 1n4001 or 1n4004 diode should work. You might be able to look up the radio schematic to find the part number. You just have to make sure the band on the diode is in the correct side of the circuit.
I just returned it and I'll get another one sometime soon lol.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:21 AM

Got it working. I ordered a factory harness adapter from ebay a few days ago and I got it yesterday and as it turns out the wiring is actually different on this one? But I got it all figured out. Now to swap the speakers -_- and rewire the passenger speaker clip.