Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grates under the front wheels when wenching?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991, 1997 & 2000 (yeah, I got 3)
Model: Cherokee
Default Grates under the front wheels when wenching?

I just installed a steel bumper & 9000 lb winch. If I want to winch somebody out of the ditch then I need to have a way to keep my Jeep stationary. Using the E-brake and the park pawl in the trans would seem...kinda stupid.

So I'm going to whip up some grates using angle steel and chain that you throw in front of the front wheels, run chains to the bumper shackles, and then drive forward onto the grates until the chains come tight. That way I can leave the Jeep in neutral, set the E-brake and git to wenchin'.

Does anybody else do this? Is there a word for this grate thing?

Last edited by goatherder; 12-07-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:44 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 771 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by goatherder
I just installed a steel bumper & 9000 lb winch. If I want to winch somebody out of the ditch then I need to have a way to keep my Jeep stationary. Using the E-brake and the park pawl in the trans would seem...kinda stupid.

So I'm going to whip up some grates using angle steel and chain that you throw in front of the front wheels, run chains to the bumper shackles, and then drive forward onto the grates until the chains come tight. That way I can leave the Jeep in neutral, set the E-brake and git to wenchin'.

Does anybody else do this? Is there a word for this grate thing?
Overkill?
Old 12-07-2014, 10:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

If I'm winching something heavy enough to pull my jeep I hook the back of my jeep to something like a large tree
Old 12-07-2014, 10:18 PM

Then the flat grates become ski's under your tire's. I think a set of wheel chocks would be better than the grates.
Heck those plastic ones are cheap enough you could get 4 of them and chock all 4 of the tires.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by roninofako
Overkill?
Yeah...but I've seen a guy pull stumps using this method. Using a self made wrecker truck with logging winches on it. Big stumps. Like 30" fir trees.

And I got a brand new MIG and a few sticks of 1" angle...

Originally Posted by wiggles
If I'm winching something heavy enough to pull my jeep I hook the back of my jeep to something like a large tree
What if you have no tree? Or if the tree is across the road? What if all you got is a cactus? You might need winching grates...
Old 12-07-2014, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

Dig a hole, burry a anchor...
Old 12-07-2014, 10:40 PM

That idea might work for pulling stumps, but you asked about pulling someone out of the ditch.....so i'm assuming you would be on asphalt or a hard packed dirt road.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Little Red XJ
Then the flat grates become ski's under your tire's. I think a set of wheel chocks would be better than the grates.
Heck those plastic ones are cheap enough you could get 4 of them and chock all 4 of the tires.
You REALLY think I'd make something that would slide like a ski? And the plastic wheel chocks would just end up as smashed muddy trash you'd have to pack home.

Originally Posted by wiggles
Dig a hole, burry a anchor...
Too much mucking around. I'll go make a set and then we can see.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Little Red XJ
That idea might work for pulling stumps, but you asked about pulling someone out of the ditch.....so i'm assuming you would be on asphalt or a hard packed dirt road.
Maybe a dirt road up in the hills, or a snow & ice covered road around here.

If they run off the ashpalt road when there's no snow on it...then screw 'em. They were probably doing something stupid (like texting) and deserve to pay the tow truck.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

I've been using what your describing since the mid 70's I built for my 4wd wreckers in CO. They work excellent on any kind of surface from hard to ice/snow/mud/asphalt.

On my wreckers I had slots cut in the rear bumper (vertical) on each side centered between the duels, for the chain links. The blocks are wedges about 12"-24" long and just wider than the tire. I made mine from 3/16" plate except for the end where the chain attached and it was 1/4" then it was fully welded.

With that finished I took it to a friend at a machine/welding/fab shop and for 1 six pack had him punch 1" holes in the 3/16" plate to make it a little lighter. Then had him weld the 3/8" chain on the wedge end.

I pull my tires up on the wedges the first time till they are almost to the edge. Then I have recovery points on each side 2 D-Rings, I pull the chains tight into the D-Rings and hook them. Then I paint exactly where to hook back into the chain the next time I need to winch, sit them down in front of the bumper then winch myself up onto them to the correct point where they bite best.

Just make sure of your attachment points strength before using this method.