Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

scratching/clicking noise from front

Old 08-21-2015, 05:33 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
mjcxking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 80
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default scratching/clicking noise from front

I have a 1999 jeep Cherokee sport with the 4.0 I just came back from a wheeling trip and when I accelerate I hear a clicking noise or a catching from the front you can really hear it at 15 to 25 mph then it will go away, it doesn't sound good and happened like two days after I got back from my wheeling trip, any ideas?
mjcxking is offline  
Old 08-21-2015, 05:36 PM
  #2  
CF Veteran
 
chipmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Belton S.C.
Posts: 1,280
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by mjcxking View Post
I have a 1999 jeep Cherokee sport with the 4.0 I just came back from a wheeling trip and when I accelerate I hear a clicking noise or a catching from the front you can really hear it at 15 to 25 mph then it will go away, it doesn't sound good and happened like two days after I got back from my wheeling trip, any ideas?
Check all of your u-joints. What you're describing sounds like the death cry of one.
chipmaker is offline  
Old 08-21-2015, 06:12 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
mjcxking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 80
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by chipmaker View Post

Check all of your u-joints. What you're describing sounds like the death cry of one.
I checked the drive shafts no play, I'll have to check the axles
mjcxking is offline  
Old 08-21-2015, 06:23 PM
  #4  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: tucson
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Wheel bearing or u joint
93_xjcherokee is offline  
Old 08-21-2015, 06:31 PM
  #5  
CF Veteran
 
chipmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Belton S.C.
Posts: 1,280
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by mjcxking View Post
I checked the drive shafts no play, I'll have to check the axles
Did you take the shaft out and check it or just try to wiggle it?
chipmaker is offline  
Old 08-21-2015, 06:32 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
mjcxking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 80
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by chipmaker View Post

Did you take the shaft out and check it or just try to wiggle it?
Wiggle the hell out of it
mjcxking is offline  
Old 08-21-2015, 06:37 PM
  #7  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default

Sounds like u joints or a bent dust shield..I thought my u joints were okay..until I replaced them and half of the needle bearings were missing..
kjdad is offline  
Old 08-21-2015, 06:55 PM
  #8  
CF Veteran
 
chipmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Belton S.C.
Posts: 1,280
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by kjdad View Post
Sounds like u joints or a bent dust shield..I thought my u joints were okay..until I replaced them and half of the needle bearings were missing..
Exactly. The only real way to check u-joints is to remove the DS and give em a looking over. It only takes like 10 min to remove the shaft.
chipmaker is offline  
Old 08-21-2015, 07:53 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
mjcxking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 80
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by chipmaker View Post

Exactly. The only real way to check u-joints is to remove the DS and give em a looking over. It only takes like 10 min to remove the shaft.
I might be wrong, but wouldn't there be a lot of vibration if it was yje driveshaft?
mjcxking is offline  
Old 08-23-2015, 09:25 AM
  #10  
CF Veteran
 
chipmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Belton S.C.
Posts: 1,280
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by mjcxking View Post
I might be wrong, but wouldn't there be a lot of vibration if it was yje driveshaft?
Nope not necessarily. The needle bearings could still be intact but dry and beginning to fail
chipmaker is offline  
Old 08-23-2015, 07:17 PM
  #11  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 71
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

My U joints looked okay according to my mechanic but when he took them out to replace them with new.... boy were they ALL really shot to hell. You can't just eyeball or wiggle them... you have to take them out to properly test them There are I think 8 U joints in all to change out. I had him change out all 8 and now I have NO noise or vibration at all period.
twinkiedooter is offline  
Old 08-23-2015, 07:55 PM
  #12  
CF Veteran
 
madmanmarty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 1,052
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default

How bout a twig?
Probably a u joint.
madmanmarty is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
93civEJ1
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
4
04-19-2019 02:25 AM
t.mcginley.jr
Jeep Builds
90
03-03-2018 09:06 PM
MidwestNick
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
10
02-28-2016 02:05 AM
RickJames Bish
Modified XJ Cherokee Tech
5
09-02-2015 03:22 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: scratching/clicking noise from front


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: