Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holy terrifying death wobble batman!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Holy terrifying death wobble batman!

okay, i'll answer my query before i ask, and y'all can tell me if i'm a complete idiot, or just a partial idiot.

I did a 3" lift on the XJ with front spacers and OME rear springs and a rocky road adjustable track bar. i didn't take it to an alignment shop afterwards. it was driving straight, just the steering wheel was off center now. I figured i'd get it in whenever i could. haven't put hardly any miles on it.

SO, the issue... i was going down a side road today by some freight docks on the way home, and this ***** 18 wheeler kept speeding up so i couldn't pass him. so i floored it and got up to about 60.. and hit a bump.

holy crap! i thought the whole front end was gonna come out! scared the hell out of me! thought the wheels were falling off!

pulled over, everything looked okay. got back in hit another bump, shakes like crazy. i pulled over again and noticed that my brand new track bar bushing is DESTROYED... wow.

so, just the alignment being off cause that? and that quickly? i mean, it was fine, and then BAM!!

and anybody know where i can find a bushing that will fit in a RR track bar by monday??

this thing is testing my patience... had a CEL come on yesterday :/
Old 08-28-2015, 07:20 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0
Default Holy terrifying death wobble batman!

Lots of failing parts can lead to DW. Something is worn, possibly a defective bushing in the track bar, and your now out of spec caster = white knuckle butt pickering fun.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by prdgyair
I did a 3" lift on the XJ with front spacers and OME rear springs and a rocky road adjustable track bar.

You are relying on the track bar to lift the rear?????

Well, maybe not complete idiot, or even partial idiot, but badly misinformed.

If you want it lifted, lift it properly, or expect problems.

From the Rocky Road website:

A worn and misaligned track bar can also lead to the dreaded DEATH WOBBLE on our Jeeps.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark

WTD does that even mean? He says he has OME rear springs, and an adjustable track bar.
The grammar is not the best, but READ!

OP, you need to check adjust your toe. When you lifted your vehicle the angle of the drag link changed, which in turn changed your toe. This is a very simple thing to do by yourself or with help. Not necessary to take it to a shop. With that said, replace the trackbar bushing, and center the axle correctly as well.
Also, check all the joints, grease them as necessary, and check for play. Consider replacing your steering stabilizer if it looks worn or stock.

Few easy steps to check/adjust toe.
As your vehicle normally sits, measure width of the inner side wall of the front tires, front and rear. If you have a 242, spec is 0, which means that the measurement should be equal front and rear. If you have a 231, or 2WD spec is 1/16"-1/8" toe in.

To adjust toe, lift the front of the vehicle so that the tires are off the ground, loosen the adjusters on the ends of the tie rod, and turn the tie rod in the direction you need to adjust your toe.
Lower vehicle back on the ground with full weight of the vehicle and check toe again. If corrected properly, tighten the adjusters on the tie rod, and go for a test drive.

If you need to adjust your steering wheel, with vehicle sitting normal, wheels straight, loosen the adjusters on the sleeve of the drag link and turn it to center your steering wheel. Tighten up when you have it set.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark

yeah..... uh, not sure how YOU would think that I thought that a track bar in the FRONT could be expected to lift the REAR of the vehicle. I said, not 20 words prior, OME rear springs. It also said in the original post i put spacers in the front. so not sure where you got that i though a track bar would lift the truck. I'm not a suspension guy per se, but having been turning wrenches for 20 years, i have a pretty firm grasp of the obvious basic idea.... to paraphrase my original post, i lifted the truck, didn't have it aligned and the track bar bushing failed. I just found it odd that it failed within 3-400 miles, that's all. anyway, it's fixed now. taking it to the alignment shop monday!

WAIT! maybe you thought i meant OEM rear springs... that would make it make sense