Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 Xj with a wiring mess , need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 87 Xj with a wiring mess , need some help.

So I’ll keep it short and simple, picked up my 87, runs great, needs some basic stuff, but all my other cherokees weren’t a Renix. And were 93-96. Anyways, this relay panel/mess, I gotta do something with it. Anybody else deal with this? It’s mostlu stock. No add ons wiring wise.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

The Renix engines came with about what you see. However, it appears as if someone has added or spliced some wires as I see sta-cons or crimps. I purchased a couple of marine heat shrink crimp kits; one is ring terminals and the other is butt splices. Some zip ties and wire loom helps it aesthetically, and keeps loose wires from bouncing where they don't belong or from chafing. Pull your relays and apply some oxide inhibitor, and do the same with your GM-style weatherpak connectors.

Otherwise, that's about how American Motors designed it.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:10 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ajpulley
The Renix engines came with about what you see. However, it appears as if someone has added or spliced some wires as I see sta-cons or crimps. I purchased a couple of marine heat shrink crimp kits; one is ring terminals and the other is butt splices. Some zip ties and wire loom helps it aesthetically, and keeps loose wires from bouncing where they don't belong or from chafing. Pull your relays and apply some oxide inhibitor, and do the same with your GM-style weatherpak connectors.

Otherwise, that's about how American Motors designed it.
Agreed.

And the photos are either very poor, or I need more coffee this morning.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I apologize for the terrible quality it was a screenshot of a video i took, LOL. but its dissapointing to know that is just a renix wiring set up, but i cant help but wonder if i can make a newer fuseblock work. got the gears turning
Old 12-19-2017, 04:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by CRAYCRAYXJ
I apologize for the terrible quality it was a screenshot of a video i took, LOL. but its dissapointing to know that is just a renix wiring set up, but i cant help but wonder if i can make a newer fuseblock work. got the gears turning
A disappointment in what? A lot of the vehicles' wiring during, or prior to, this era weren't as neat and tidy as today's. American Motors did use some Weatherpak connectors, but not many. Yes, the relay sockets are in the open compared to tightly closed and sealed compartments of today. But, with preventative maintenance, they still work just fine.

The fuse block is a GM-style carryover of the 80s located under the dashboard on the firewall on the driver's side, just above your left foot- much the same as you would see in C/K pickups of that time. If you have an automatic transmission, then yours is most likely in good shape. If, however, you have a manual transmission, and the clutch master cylinder leaked over the years, guess where it leaked onto? You guessed it, and a lot of the metal inserts of the block will be corroded. I have a replacement waiting to be swapped in for that reason. But, had I maintained and repaired the problem, it wouldn't have happened.

What do you want to replace in the area you photographed?
Old 12-19-2017, 07:53 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ajpulley
A disappointment in what? A lot of the vehicles' wiring during, or prior to, this era weren't as neat and tidy as today's. American Motors did use some Weatherpak connectors, but not many. Yes, the relay sockets are in the open compared to tightly closed and sealed compartments of today. But, with preventative maintenance, they still work just fine.

The fuse block is a GM-style carryover of the 80s located under the dashboard on the firewall on the driver's side, just above your left foot- much the same as you would see in C/K pickups of that time. If you have an automatic transmission, then yours is most likely in good shape. If, however, you have a manual transmission, and the clutch master cylinder leaked over the years, guess where it leaked onto? You guessed it, and a lot of the metal inserts of the block will be corroded. I have a replacement waiting to be swapped in for that reason. But, had I maintained and repaired the problem, it wouldn't have happened.

What do you want to replace in the area you photographed?

I wanna see some clearer photos.