New 2014 Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4 Liter
Default New 2014 Cherokee

Just a few quick bon-fides so you won't think I'm a total noob.

1982 Wagoneer - 1978 J10 - 1989 Wagoneer -1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo, Borla Cat back, K&N Cold Air - 1993 Cherokee - 1992 Cherokee 2X4 - 1989 Cherokee Laredo with 200,000+ miles 2 inch lift, 30.5 X 15 BFGoodrich TA, Gibson cat back, high flow cat, K&N Cold Air & a death wobble that at some speeds you should remember to wear you paper underwear.

All but the 1992 & the 1998 XJs in the happy hunting ground.

Now thats out of the way...I understand any indifference about the new Cherokee. The pictures make them look a little "girly". Much better in person!!! Find one and drive it. It's like setting in your living room with the TV off at 80 miles per hour. Silent!

I drive the 89 200 to 600 miles per week on the job & it's my only car. (the 92 is being trashed by my son). Time for a new one.

Even though I've used this forum to do all sorts upgrades & repairs I've come to have a pretty high regard for many of those using.

I'd like to open a discussion to anyone with 2 pennies to rub together on the new Cherokee. Not that over sixty years of age I need a group consensus
on what to buy but there is a LOT of hands on, get dirty, been there kind of people I'd like to hear from.

Here are an example of questions I have.

If the classic Cherokee is code named the XJ, what do you call the new one?

With a brand new limited release of a new Jeep, is finding a dealer that will sell me one at $100 over his FWP (whatever the hell that is) as opposed to some figure above the MSRP a good thing or am I getting screwed?

Same dealer says any "extras" mud flaps, all weather floor mats... he'll charge me 10% above his cost.

Does anyone know if you can order "skid plates" for any model less that the Trailhawk?

I'm wide open to any number of opinions?

Oh, 4 banger or 6?
Old 11-11-2013, 08:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

You are about to get a lot of people flame you for suggesting the idea of buying one...

No one here knows hardly anything about them, so I wouldn't expect much of anything helpful bud.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:15 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

There's a forum for the new KL Cherokee. I'd suggest asking your questions there.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by emptypockets
There's a forum for the new KL Cherokee. I'd suggest asking your questions there.
Thanks Guy, didn't see it or even know it existed.
As far as the flaming goes, we've to get a Canadian cold front through the Texas panhandle tonight.
Save on heating fuel.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: I6 4.0

Only answer I have for you is that the 2014 Cherokee is the "KL". You might wanna ask your questions over here : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f428/.

Honestly, I think its a well equipped vehicle for the price range, hope you enjoy it when you get it.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:44 PM

Thanks for you quick and kind reply.
Especially for the link, I was having NO luck find it.
If you'll let me bother you just a little more. When I bought both my 82 Wagoneer & the 96 Grand Cherokee I got-ordered-found a full set of shop manuals-parts lists-wireing diagrams for both machines. I've heard that paper is a thing of the past and that DVDs are how shop manuals are distributed now and something about shop foemen have to sign a non-disclosure before they can get theirs.
Have you heard anything like that & didn't several of the independent repair shop groups file law suits based on that some where up north against that practice?
Old 11-11-2013, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: I6 4.0

Originally Posted by hyper.hip
Thanks for you quick and kind reply.
Especially for the link, I was having NO luck find it.
If you'll let me bother you just a little more. When I bought both my 82 Wagoneer & the 96 Grand Cherokee I got-ordered-found a full set of shop manuals-parts lists-wireing diagrams for both machines. I've heard that paper is a thing of the past and that DVDs are how shop manuals are distributed now and something about shop foemen have to sign a non-disclosure before they can get theirs.
Have you heard anything like that & didn't several of the independent repair shop groups file law suits based on that some where up north against that practice?
No problem, sometimes you just need to be a little creative when using Google.
My understanding of new manuals is what you said. I know that lots of shops including big national shops, use software called Mitchell. They pay big money (upfront and yearly fees) for access to this software and can not share it. The software is supposed to be more up to date than the Factory Service Manuals, but I do not know how this software will be affected by new vehicles such as the KL Cherokee.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:51 PM

your owners manual will be a dvd. you can call chrysler customer care and ask for a paper book manual and they will send you one free of charge. As far as a factory service manual, everything is online now. chrysler dealerships have there own wireless network. National stores and independent stores have access to mitchell or alldata. this service is information that the manufactor gives out to mitchell or alldata for them to put into there system. It is usually a few years behind, but then again, most people with new cars don't go anywere but the dealership for a few years anyways. Most people don't worry about service manuals for awhile now since cars come with a 5yr 100k warranty, and you can't do much to new cars without there scanner.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

Why not buy about 10 or so $3,000 xjs instead of a kl?
Old 11-12-2013, 02:33 AM

I still don't get why they called it cherokee. I'd forget about working on it your self, way too much proprietary garbage. That's they way they like it! I'd drive it till the warranty ran out then off load it.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:56 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I sat in one yesterday....
Old 11-12-2013, 07:55 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

If the classic Cherokee is code named the XJ, what do you call the new one?
A big steamy pile of ****!
Old 11-12-2013, 11:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1997

I passed by my local Jeep dealer Saturday to see one in person. They had all eight if them locked in the back parking lot where they hold vehicles to be fixed, none upfront on show. I dunno...
Old 11-12-2013, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by cm75
I passed by my local Jeep dealer Saturday to see one in person. They had all eight if them locked in the back parking lot where they hold vehicles to be fixed, none upfront on show. I dunno...
Torch em.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by cruiser54
I sat in one yesterday....
And, what did you think? I get a huge kick out of the XJ faithful saying the same crap about the KL and the Old Liberty KJ that was said about the XJ when it came out. I test drove new Xjs in 84 and 85 and they were ****. Nobody around here much cared for them until they became really cheap,lol

Quick Reply: New 2014 Cherokee