Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Two questions....

Old 03-02-2015, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Two questions....

1. I'm having problems at times filling up with gas, the fuel keeps backing up to the nozzle causing it to shut off after only a few seconds in some cases or longer in others. I've noticed at some AM PM stations the gas backs up and I've been sprayed through the vent holes on the nozzle. I've taken the fill tube apart and even removed the anti siphon spring so there is no possible obstruction. I have an active recall for a new gas tank. Does anyone think this will solve the problem? Can be very annoying at times.

2. It feels like I'm pulling to the right a bit, had the alignment and front end checked over twice by two different shops one being Les Schwab and no problem with the alignment but Schwab suggested replacing the track bar soon but said that would have nothing to do with it pulling....no unusual wear on the tires. Could it just be the all time 4 wheel drive causing me to feel this?

I have a 97 Grand Cherokee Limited.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L

I have no idea about the filling up issue, but the pulling to the right can be caused by incorrect tyre pressure. The all time 4wd shouldnt have side effect like this. Mine is a 96 with the same 4wd and goes strate like a champ

Last edited by czettlera; 03-03-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:47 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Okay, that anti-siphon valve is not there for that purpose. It's a rollover safety shutoff valve to contain the fuel in the tank. Check to make sure your vent line to the carbon canister is not plugged. There should also be a vent line running from the tank up to just underneath the safety valve to vent tank air when you fill it.

Check to see if you have a dragging brake caliper on that side. Usually just lubing the pins will take care of it.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

I saw a thread talking about a vent in the filler tube (on the car) Basically to prevent the backing up/shutting off of the gas pump nozzle. I don't remember the exact details.

But--it sounds like you've tried taking it out and cleaning it... did you do the vent hole as well? IIRC-- and this sounds like something not to do while its on the car-- they used a wire hanger to clean it out
Old 03-03-2015, 06:37 PM

Thanks for the responses, I only checked the main fill tube and the over flow, wasn't aware there were other things to check for obstruction. Thing is it's not a 100% of the time issue, it was fine for quite a while then the last time I went to fill it up it wasn't taking it...the tank had gotten pretty low and it sits mostly but when I went to another am/pm a mile away it filled up without even clicking off. When it first started happening the only option was to hold the pump handle about halfway up and I could usually get it to fill up but took a while. I replaced the gas cap as well, I'm just thinking of there were some kind of obstruction then this should happen every time or maybe atmospheric pressure/heat etc. and the type of pump may come into play?

I figured if anyone would find a problem with my front end it would be Les Schwab, had tires rotated and they checked the inflation and brakes as well as the front alignment.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

I've had the same thing happen on my 93 ZJ.. But gas being what it was, and being my 2nd car, I never filled it up all the way.

More annoying was the tube on my 95 ZJ that was BARELY big enough to fit the nozzle. really annoying.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:27 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Yes, gas pump pressure can have a lot to do with it. With gas prices being high, most stations slowed down the delivery rate so the price readout could keep up with the flow rate. At higher flow rates, any vehicle with a long fill pipe could have fuel bubbling up the fill pipe and causing blowback.

Another thing that happens is that little sensing port on the pump nozzle sometimes get plugged with ice and doesn't shut off the nozzle when it should.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:10 AM

The first time it backed up and sprayed me it was considerably irritating, I got sprayed in the face and all the way down my chest...Had to remove my jacket and as soon as I got home threw my clothes in the washer and took a shower. Only at AM PM though(a regional ARCO chain).