Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Selec trac 4pt vs Applying brake to stop single spinning wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Selec trac 4pt vs Applying brake to stop single spinning wheel

A) Ok as far as i understand thru all my reading and research....when you have open diffs and one tire looses traction, the other tire spins. Now i understand that the trick to helping the wheel that does have traction is to lightly use the brakes or parking brake....ok simple right...Now every where i read, all the articles and wiki talk about the part time feature on the selec trac. They stop after the part that says the front drive shaft locks with the rear drive shaft for added traction. No one talks beyond this point. If im driving and im in 4 part time, and i lose traction to one wheel up front,isnt the fact that the drive shafts are locked together, the same concept as braking the one spinning wheel with brake pressure?

B)The reason i ask this is because if the front drive shaft is locked to the rear drive shaft and the rear wheels are planted with good traction,then that means if i lose one tire up front,said tire should not begin to spin like crazy because the rear shaft wont let it.....Is this an accurate assumption?

C)If my assumption in B) is accurate, then 4part time should be very good off road until i lose more that one tire. How strong is this method as compared to having a locker?...I understand that the locker is the strongest way to go...just looking for an idea how strong 4 part time is with one wheel in the air?

SO to recap questions....

A1)Is braking technique on spinning wheel same as 4pt engaged with one wheel in the air?

B2)Is my assumption in B correct?

C3)How strong is a locked transfer case with one wheel in the air?...Am i limited to how many degrees uphill i can make it? etc
Old 04-11-2014, 06:37 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

With the 4 part-time engaged, both axles drive at the same speed with equal power. If one axle looses traction, the other still drives. Using the brake to stop a spinning wheel brakes all the wheels, so I don't see what good it is. With one wheel in the air, the other axle will still drive the Jeep, and the wheel in the air should not spin.

When my rear axle blew up, I removed the rear shaft and drove it 150 miles home on just the front shaft in 4 part-time. Either diff is capable of powering the jeep, however the D30 up front is not as strong as the D35 or D44 in the rear.

I think you have it a little wrong. With an open differential, the wheel that looses traction is the one that gets the power and spins.

Lockers are good but they're real fun on ice. If you're not careful, you can do donuts going around corners.

Now full-time is a different ball-game.

Welcome to CF!

Last edited by dave1123; 04-11-2014 at 06:49 PM.