Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Lady's first Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (242) SMPI I6 "Power Tech" engine. Straight 6 Cylinder L/CI 4.0/242
Default Lady's first Grand Cherokee

Hello all! I just acquired my first EVER Jeep... I've wanted one since i was a teen. 34 now and i finally have one!!! It isn't road worthy yet, soooooo many bugs to work out. But man... i love it already!!!
98 Grand Cherokee The motor seems to be great (knock on wood) but there are lots of other things i really need help with... This site is very informative but extremely vast. its hard to find what i need help with specific to my issues. if anyone can point me in the right direction on any of these issues it would be awesome. i hate to bump old threads and don't wanna post asking something that's already been answered before.

-Fuel gauge doesn't work.

-Top center brake light works but the lower left and right brake lights do not work, checked the bulbs already.
:stop lamp switch? (dont think so cause the top light works)

-Drivers door hinges busted door wont close properly.
:i went way out in the woods today and took off a GC door hope it fits. door says date MFG:4-92 WILL IT FIT?

-Front brakes drag after driving a couple miles.(SOLVED!!!-got new calipers today!!! and brake pads )
:collapsed brake hose? (NOPE)
:need new rotors? (NOPE)

-instrument panel lights flicker.(SOLVED!!! idk what it was but i fixed it with my tinkering below)
: clean solder points inside headlamp switch (done)
:headlamp switch fuse(i replaced a fuse that looked a little corroded but i couldn't tell if it was the correct one on the diagram)

i dont know much about mechanics and im on a very tight budget. just steer me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance to anyone that chimes in.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:55 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to Cherokee Forum

the wiring runs down the driver side door jamb under the sill plate(plastic covers)
the wire from the brake switch to the rear lights may be broken/rubbed through/etc, the high mount light is a separate circuit/wire. Just verify that you have power and ground with a test light or multi meter at the brake light socket, if you dont then check the wires where I said
Old 09-10-2016, 12:21 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to the world of fun and heartbreak of owning a jeep!

Question; does it have a trailer hitch? If so, it could be a fault in the trailer lighting module. That's inside the rear panel behind the spare tire. That converts your 4 bulb system to the 2 bulbs of the trailer.

BTW, a bit of information. Normally, the jeeps with the tow package have 3.73 gears and an aux transmission cooler along with the trailer hitch and lighting module. The previous owner could have installed a trailer hitch himself and an aftermarket lighting harness, OR cobbled up the wiring himself. The easiest way to tell if it's factory or not is look for the aux cooler in front of the A/C condenser which is in front of the radiator. It's about 1/2 the size of the condenser. The jeeps without the tow package have 3.55 axle gearing.

You're going to need a lot of information about your jeep. There are 2 publications that are helpful. There's the Haynes Service & Repair manual that gives basic maintenance procedures and fluid recommendations, then there's the Full Service Manual designed for dealer service techs. You can download a copy of that from pacificcoastmanuals.com for $7.99+tax. It's 93 mbs of compressed pdf files and contains EVERYTHING you'll ever need to know about your specific year jeep. There are wiring diagrams, system functions and diagnostic procedures, ever component locations and steps to remove them. You can print out what you need and destroy them after because you'll still have them in your computer. I checked the site and they have one for your 98. Actually, yours is $7.95!

Last edited by dave1123; 09-10-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum!!

I agree with Dave buy the PDF. FSM from pacificcoastmanuals.com I have one for both my XJ and WJ's best money to help you along the way with the detail needed. You can download this on several devices for 24 hrs. as I recall, it can be printed if needed also. I have it on 4 computers and my iPad, one of the computers is an older desk top that I keep in my shop not temp controlled but still works ok for a 9 yr. old computer 4 yrs in the shop lol.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L (242) SMPI I6 "Power Tech" engine. Straight 6 Cylinder L/CI 4.0/242

well i had a big reply typed out but my net took a crap... anyway... the genius that checked the bulbs didnt notice the double filament and that one of them was burned out on each bulb. but i got new bulbs n that issue is fixed. and no... no tow hitch yet. there is a factory recall on it for rear end collisions and the remedy is a tow hitch installed for free. WOOT! so ill be getting one installed asap. but thanks a ton for the info! ill get that pdf asap! also im guessing the issue with the fuel gauge is the sending unit. ??wonder what that will cost me to replace? ugh... idk what im doing... im trying!
Old 09-11-2016, 10:40 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Hey, stay with us. We've got your back. We'll answer any serious question, or at least take a stab at it. Don't print out the whole manual unless you want to use a ream of paper and a couple of ink cartridges! There's like 145 pages just on the transmission.

Caution; you may get some good hearted ribbing now and then, but we're harmless. for the most part.

Hey guys; am I imagining things or are we getting a lot more women posting on the forum? We must be doing something right.

Last edited by dave1123; 09-11-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:52 AM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2L Magnum V8 220hp 285ft-lbs

Welcome to the forum! Good luck w/ your Jeep.

A common problem w/ front brakes dragging is that the steering knuckle gets notches worn in where the brake pads contact the knuckle. Those notches can catch the pads and cause dragging.

A short term fix is new pads that put the pads off the notches. The common fix is the fill in the notches w/ welding, followed by grinding smooth.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

It's not just the fact of having more women come to the forum its that they are working on their Jeeps themselves. I'm glad to see that my wife is not alone anymore and now she's almost 60 yrs. old had been working on cars/trucks/tractors/equipment for over 35 yrs.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:35 AM
Old fart with a wrench

My mother, being a Navy wife, had to learn basic auto mechanics as a matter of survival when my dad was at sea. She was SO HAPPY when I got involved and she didn't have to worry so much after that. She never felt comfortable trying to fix the car anyway. I remember when I was very young, her sitting by the side of the road crying for awhile before trying to deal with it. One of the first things she did before starting out was to check the fuel gauge! She made a big deal about that!

Now that I'm older, I understand her frustration about being alone. This is a 40s housewife we're talking about.

Last edited by dave1123; 09-12-2016 at 11:42 AM.