Project black sky - Page 5 - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

Project black sky

Old 06-30-2010, 12:53 PM
  #61  
Honorary Moderator
Thread Starter
 
96_xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gilbert AZ/Las Cruces NM
Posts: 8,135
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 upgraded
Default

Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
Decent the reason I asked is those lines look identical to the lines on my Jeep and look like a factory line. With my 5 inches of lift I figured there was no way I could still be on the factory cherokee brake lines and have slack in them when it is flexed out.
No problem Yeah well technically they are factory, just not my factory lines
96_xj is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 12:55 PM
  #62  
Honorary Moderator
Thread Starter
 
96_xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gilbert AZ/Las Cruces NM
Posts: 8,135
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 upgraded
Default

Originally Posted by Deathwagon View Post
Lookin wicked.
Its kicking my ***. Tight spot to work in... I have one more cut to make and then to fold up the other side. Then i will grab some RTV and start sealing stuff. I am going to use self tappers for now. And then when i go to build my rear bumper i will weld it all up then
96_xj is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 01:51 PM
  #63  
Member
 
C.J.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 231
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by 96_xj View Post
No problem Yeah well technically they are factory, just not my factory lines
So is it a common thing for XJ guys to use YJ lines? I am still trying to figure out half of the stuff the previous owner did with my Jeep.
C.J. is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 01:53 PM
  #64  
Honorary Moderator
Thread Starter
 
96_xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gilbert AZ/Las Cruces NM
Posts: 8,135
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 upgraded
Default

It is a cheap ($5 at the salvage yard) alternative to buying S.S. lines. Just like the chevy 1500 lines. at $15 a line new and $5 a pair used for 28" lines.
96_xj is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 01:59 PM
  #65  
Honorary Moderator
Thread Starter
 
96_xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gilbert AZ/Las Cruces NM
Posts: 8,135
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 upgraded
Default

WOHOO!!! its done!
Attached Images      
96_xj is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 02:00 PM
  #66  
Member
 
C.J.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 231
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

That looks awesome, can't wait to do this. Any truth to what they say about it hurting some of the structural rigidity of the body?
C.J. is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 02:05 PM
  #67  
Honorary Moderator
Thread Starter
 
96_xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gilbert AZ/Las Cruces NM
Posts: 8,135
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 upgraded
Default

I am going to weld mine up. If there is i think that welding will cancel that out. And after 14 websites that i read last night noone actually could give proof that it does or does not hurt the unibody strength. So once its welded up it will be like it was from the factory again.

I guess we will find out haha.

Thanks, i really like the way it turned out altho it is another thing to make my tires look smaller....
96_xj is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 03:22 PM
  #68  
Honorary Moderator
Thread Starter
 
96_xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gilbert AZ/Las Cruces NM
Posts: 8,135
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 upgraded
Default

some photo updates
Name:  0630001316.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  97.2 KB

Name:  0630001316a.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  96.3 KB

Name:  0630001317.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  97.3 KB

Name:  0630001317a.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  97.9 KB

Name:  063000115501.jpg
Views: 3870
Size:  46.1 KB

Last edited by JeepingDan; 10-02-2011 at 01:22 PM.
96_xj is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 08:08 PM
  #69  
Honorary Moderator
Thread Starter
 
96_xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gilbert AZ/Las Cruces NM
Posts: 8,135
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 upgraded
Default

gave it all new coolant today. 3 gallons of PEAK 50/50 later it runs nice and green.


It was WAY overdue that i did a flush....there was about a 1" layer of grime at the bottom of the overflow tank. Took it out and hosed it all down. ran the system dry. Then filled it all back up! i will watch the level of coolant over the next week to make sure i keep plenty in there as it tops itself off.
96_xj is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 10:48 PM
  #70  
CF Veteran
 
offroadnut36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hollidaysburg, PA
Posts: 5,603
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.
Default

Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
That looks awesome, can't wait to do this. Any truth to what they say about it hurting some of the structural rigidity of the body?
It will crumble and the unibody will taco
Originally Posted by 96_xj View Post
gave it all new coolant today. 3 gallons of PEAK 50/50 later it runs nice and green.


It was WAY overdue that i did a flush....there was about a 1" layer of grime at the bottom of the overflow tank. Took it out and hosed it all down. ran the system dry. Then filled it all back up! i will watch the level of coolant over the next week to make sure i keep plenty in there as it tops itself off.
Sweet. You did a great job on the rear quarters.
offroadnut36 is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 10:56 PM
  #71  
Honorary Moderator
Thread Starter
 
96_xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gilbert AZ/Las Cruces NM
Posts: 8,135
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 upgraded
Default

Originally Posted by offroadnut36 View Post
It will crumble and the unibody will taco

awe crap.....



Originally Posted by offroadnut36 View Post
Sweet. You did a great job on the rear quarters.

Thanks man! i really like the way it turned it out. I cant wait till i build my rear bumper and build my tie in pieces to finish it all off.
96_xj is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 11:26 PM
  #72  
CF Veteran
 
offroadnut36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hollidaysburg, PA
Posts: 5,603
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.
Default

Originally Posted by 96_xj View Post
awe crap.....






Thanks man! i really like the way it turned it out. I cant wait till i build my rear bumper and build my tie in pieces to finish it all off.


Most definitely, that's gonna be sweet.
offroadnut36 is offline  
Old 07-03-2010, 11:46 AM
  #73  
Honorary Moderator
Thread Starter
 
96_xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gilbert AZ/Las Cruces NM
Posts: 8,135
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 upgraded
Default

Alright so this weekend i took it up to the mountains 6%-7% grades the entire 57 miles. with 110* degree heat my needle never moved from 210*-220*(aftermarket mechanical temp gauge) that made me happy. It also made me happy that all of the washboard dirt roads i went down felt awesome with 25 psi in the tires and the new upper and lower control arms! It handled great! and driving home at night i got my roof lights nailed exactilly how i want them. it was nice to be able to see way far ahead and to see around the corners before actually getting to the corners. Turned night into day
96_xj is offline  
Old 07-04-2010, 11:33 AM
  #74  
Honorary Moderator
Thread Starter
 
96_xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gilbert AZ/Las Cruces NM
Posts: 8,135
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 upgraded
Default

I got a stack of sanding disks for my rotary sander! (like 100 disks )

With in the next couple weeks i should have a new paint job! =] (black of course)

Depending on how much i can get paint for i will spray it on with our sprayer. i want it to last atleast a couple years.

cant decide between satin or gloss black tho. any thoughts?
96_xj is offline  
Old 07-04-2010, 11:35 AM
  #75  
CF Veteran
 
offroadnut36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hollidaysburg, PA
Posts: 5,603
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.
Default

Originally Posted by 96_xj View Post
Alright so this weekend i took it up to the mountains 6%-7% grades the entire 57 miles. with 110* degree heat my needle never moved from 210*-220*(aftermarket mechanical temp gauge) that made me happy. It also made me happy that all of the washboard dirt roads i went down felt awesome with 25 psi in the tires and the new upper and lower control arms! It handled great! and driving home at night i got my roof lights nailed exactilly how i want them. it was nice to be able to see way far ahead and to see around the corners before actually getting to the corners. Turned night into day
NICE!!
Originally Posted by 96_xj View Post
I got a stack of sanding disks for my rotary sander! (like 100 disks )

With in the next couple weeks i should have a new paint job! =] (black of course)

Depending on how much i can get paint for i will spray it on with our sprayer. i want it to last atleast a couple years.

cant decide between satin or gloss black tho. any thoughts?
Holy crap load of diskss! lol

I wanna say satin.
offroadnut36 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project black sky


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: