Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wont start - one click then nothing until I disconnect the battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 09:17 PM
gmd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Wont start - one click then nothing until I disconnect the battery

I have a starting problem I can't seem to solve. When I try to start the jeep, I get a single click then I get nothing. After the click, nothing seems to get power -- the dome light goes off, the headlights go out, if I turn the key again, I don't get a click or anything. If I disconnect the ground terminal on the battery and then reconnect it, then everything in the car has power and the lights are bright. But if I try to start the jeep again I'll get a single click and then everything goes dead until the battery is disconnected. I had the battery checked (it checked out fine) and replaced the started (thinking it might be the solenoid).

I was looking around the forums and came across this, but haven't seemed to find the same issue. Any ideas?

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/no...cklist-155216/
Old 04-14-2015, 10:15 PM

Year: 1998

Check your electrical connections to the starter. Often times they begin to corrode and will trip when the key is turned. Replace terminals and check/replace power to the starter.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:28 PM
gmd

Thanks for the response, but I'm not sure I understand. The electrical connections to the starter seemed corrosion free, but I wire brushed them to make sure they were a clean connection. I'm not sure what you mean that they will trip when the key is turned though... When you say replace the terminals what do you mean? I replaced the starter (including the solenoid) so it has clan terminals and I cleaned the cable ends connecting to the starter. I'll try double checking and re-cleaning tomorrow evening though.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:38 PM

Year: 1998

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The battery terminals and the wiring to the starter. Have you replaced them also?
Old 04-14-2015, 11:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

If the starter solenoid is clicking, but the starter motor is not turning, it usually means that the starter motor is not getting enough amperage to turn it.

Corroded cables can be the problem. A bad ground can be too. A discharged battery can also do this.

The corrosion in wiring can move up the wire inside the jacket and you may not be able to see it, and the wiring may be 20 years old if it hasn't been changed before. As a measure of preventive maintenance, you should replace the battery cable and use new terminals.

The grounding point on the block that the negative strap is bolted to can get fouled up with oil and/or loose. Remove the cables bolted there and clean (or replace) the terminals and replace the ground strap. You can use 4 ga and 8 ga audio amplifier wire to make new battery cables with, but get good stuff not the cheap crap.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

This comes up often enough I have it "canned". Something to do anyway>>>

Battery gasses have a nasty habit of helping a thin, hard crust form on the bat post's and clamps. They can look pretty good, but that micro-thin layer is a surprisingly good insulator. SHINNY! Lead is what you want. I use a pocket knife, (gently), for the insides of the clamps. For the posts I might use one of those post cleaner wire brushes, but still scrape it with a blade. If you have a condition where you have power, (dash lights ect.), then when you hit it power goes out altogether, that's a common result of a layer of oxidization there. Btw, a half *** connection could be expected to get hot during cranking, or while it's trying. Cleaning those is something to do now and then anyway, so if you are having starting problems, you might want to make sure you have bare lead on lead. Might save you some grief!
Old 04-15-2015, 07:26 AM
gmd

Thanks. To clarify, the starter solenoid only gives a single click, then the power to everything in the jeep cuts out before I hear the start spin up. If I turn the key back and try again I get absolutely nothing (no click) and everything that uses electricity in the car (headlights, radio, dome light, dash, etc.) stay dark. If I disconnect the battery and reconnect it, then everything works will full power again until I turn the key. If it was oxidation/corrosion, why would everything stay not working until I disconnect the battery?

I replaced the terminal clamps on the power and ground cables and replaced the battery within the past year. I cleaned both with a terminal brush yesterday and everything looked like raw metal on metal with no corrosion, but I'll try cleaning more thoroughly when I'm back home. If the cables need to be replaced, what is the name for the cable that goes to the starter? It seems to have a different end than a standard battery cable.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:32 AM
gmd

One additional thought -- the starter receives its ground from the block, not from a cable, right? If it is a power issue, I wonder if the block isn't sufficiently grounded. Does this sound like the likely problem? I believe I read that there is a ground strap from the block to the firewall -- are there others that I should be checking?
Old 04-15-2015, 11:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Read.

Originally Posted by Crazy 8s
If the starter solenoid is clicking, but the starter motor is not turning, it usually means that the starter motor is not getting enough amperage to turn it.

Corroded cables can be the problem. A bad ground can be too. A discharged battery can also do this.

The corrosion in wiring can move up the wire inside the jacket and you may not be able to see it, and the wiring may be 20 years old if it hasn't been changed before. As a measure of preventive maintenance, you should replace the battery cable and use new terminals.

The grounding point on the block that the negative strap is bolted to can get fouled up with oil and/or loose. Remove the cables bolted there and clean (or replace) the terminals and replace the ground strap. You can use 4 ga and 8 ga audio amplifier wire to make new battery cables with, but get good stuff not the cheap crap.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:20 PM
gmd

It seems like the problem was corrosion in the battery cables. Thank you for helping me track it down. I was able to cut off the very end and clean up the end of the cables and reattached the terminal clamps and the Jeep started strong with no trouble. I think new cables are probably due in the near future as good preventative maintenance as you say.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Cool. Those terminal clamps have been called, "for emergency road repair". In the past I've had some success doubleing the wire there in that clamp with grease, then packing the whole mess in regular bearing grease, (same all over the posts and all).

This has worked fine for decades. Lately I've seen little foil packetts of "oxy guard" for a buck on the counter at the Auto Parts. Put it everywhere, first, then leave one terminal loose enough you can twist it loose without a wrench.

The idea is, with the grease clamped in there the metal touching, the gasses from the battery and oxygen can't get in there to wreck your day.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 04-17-2015 at 01:28 AM.