Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Weird electric fan problem.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:01 PM
  #1  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Chick-N-Picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 461
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Weird electric fan problem.

As a few of you may know I have a thread titled "problem solved but wait there's more.."

Well I was going to keep the problems all in that thread but it was getting a little bogged and I need help with this e-fan bad.

I noticed my e-fan didn't work when I got the jeep when the temps got high but it worked with a/c and defrost. Everyone said it was temp sensor.

I put in a new one and it still didn't work at high temps and now it no longer works with a/c or defrost.

I took out the fan and disconnected negative battery (just in case) and it still works when wired to battery.

So I put back in old temp sensor thinking maybe it will at least work with a/c a d defrost and it didn't work at all still.

I find this strange. Any help please. It's driving me crazy.

PS I also retested relay and its good.
Chick-N-Picker is offline  
Old 08-23-2015, 04:31 PM
  #2  
CF Veteran
 
CCKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 8,357
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Will all that chat on your other thread I would think you would take two minutes to fill out your Jeep data (under your User CP) or enter it in your signature.


Good luck.
CCKen is offline  
Old 08-23-2015, 05:00 PM
  #3  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Chick-N-Picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 461
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by CCKen View Post
Will all that chat on your other thread I would think you would take two minutes to fill out your Jeep data (under your User CP) or enter it in your signature.


Good luck.
Well on my other thread my first post states 1989 XJ 4x4 auto 4.0.

Sorry I just forgot to post that in my op. Thank you for the attempt to help

And it's not that there's "all that chat" as you put it but its a lot of topics going on in one thread so I thought it would be simpler to start this thread.
Chick-N-Picker is offline  
Old 08-23-2015, 05:31 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pa
Posts: 153
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

With the vehicle running does the fan go on when you pull the wire off the front temperature sender? It's suppose to. If it does I would think the temperature sender is good.
JeepsAreForSpeed is offline  
Old 08-23-2015, 06:06 PM
  #5  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Chick-N-Picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 461
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by JeepsAreForSpeed View Post
With the vehicle running does the fan go on when you pull the wire off the front temperature sender? It's suppose to. If it does I would think the temperature sender is good.
No.

It used to come on with a/c defrost but not at high temps (218)

Now it never comes on.

It stopped working with a/c defrost when I put in new temp sensor. So I put back in old temp sensor and it doesn't come with a/c defrost with old temp sensor. This all happened over 12 hours. It's puzzling.
Chick-N-Picker is offline  
Old 08-23-2015, 11:06 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pa
Posts: 153
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Does it have a fan relay and fuse like the 94 does? If the fuse is good try switching the relay with the fuel pump or starter or whatever uses the same relay and see what happens. If it works then or the fuel pump doesnt kick on with the old fan relay then you know it's a bad relay.
JeepsAreForSpeed is offline  
Old 08-24-2015, 08:27 AM
  #7  
::CF Moderator::
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,994
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by JeepsAreForSpeed View Post
With the vehicle running does the fan go on when you pull the wire off the front temperature sender? It's suppose to. If it does I would think the temperature sender is good.
Not that way on an 89....
cruiser54 is offline  
Old 08-24-2015, 08:28 AM
  #8  
::CF Moderator::
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,994
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by Chick-N-Picker View Post
No.

It used to come on with a/c defrost but not at high temps (218)

Now it never comes on.

It stopped working with a/c defrost when I put in new temp sensor. So I put back in old temp sensor and it doesn't come with a/c defrost with old temp sensor. This all happened over 12 hours. It's puzzling.
Did you have the radiator temp switch and the e-fan disconnected at the same time during all this?

Any chance you plugged them into each other's harnesses?
cruiser54 is offline  
Old 08-24-2015, 10:53 AM
  #9  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Chick-N-Picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 461
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

^ no I didn't plug them into each other. I've been careful about that stuff. Plus I've unplugged them and checked stuff over and over. I'm sure I would have plugged it up right at least once haha.
Chick-N-Picker is offline  
Old 08-24-2015, 12:59 PM
  #10  
::CF Moderator::
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,994
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by Chick-N-Picker View Post
^ no I didn't plug them into each other. I've been careful about that stuff. Plus I've unplugged them and checked stuff over and over. I'm sure I would have plugged it up right at least once haha.
Worked on an 88 Saturday that had previously been owned by a respected mechanic and garage owner. Plugs were reversed.......
cruiser54 is offline  
Old 08-24-2015, 08:55 PM
  #11  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Chick-N-Picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 461
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Worked on an 88 Saturday that had previously been owned by a respected mechanic and garage owner. Plugs were reversed.......
My harnesses are plugged up correctly. They will only reach one way anyway plus I know they are right. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Also when I jumped the temp sensor harness and crunk the jeep the e-fan started.
Chick-N-Picker is offline  
Old 08-24-2015, 09:29 PM
  #12  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Chick-N-Picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 461
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

^ hope I didn't sound sarcastic. If I did I didn't mean too I was typing in a hurry.
Chick-N-Picker is offline  
Old 08-25-2015, 08:35 AM
  #13  
::CF Moderator::
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,994
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by Chick-N-Picker View Post
^ hope I didn't sound sarcastic. If I did I didn't mean too I was typing in a hurry.
No worries. Does it come on with AC/Defrost when the coolant switch is plugged in or not?
cruiser54 is offline  
Old 08-25-2015, 11:12 AM
  #14  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Chick-N-Picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 461
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
No worries. Does it come on with AC/Defrost when the coolant switch is plugged in or not?
With temp sensor unplugged it does not come on with a/c or defrost.

The only way it comes on is unplug temp sensor and bypass harness.
Chick-N-Picker is offline  
Old 08-26-2015, 12:35 AM
  #15  
::CF Moderator::
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,994
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by Chick-N-Picker View Post
With temp sensor unplugged it does not come on with a/c or defrost.

The only way it comes on is unplug temp sensor and bypass harness.
So, it doesn't come on with AC or Defrost at all?
cruiser54 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird electric fan problem.


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: