Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sylvania Silverstars

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 12:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Sylvania Silverstars

I’ve had a pair of these headlights for probably 5+ years or so, and recently one went out. I popped out and picked up another SilverStar as they did me well. But the new SilverStar says “halogen” on it instead of the old ones that say “performance”. Not only that, this new one seems far less bright than my years old light.
Anybody know if sylvania is slacking off with these now? I hate it when company’s switch things up a bit and end up making a worse product.
...The new one I bought actually fogged up on the inside within days so I had to exchange it.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

Do you have a job with an opponent of silver star?

Mine have worked great and anytime that I have purchased any of their products...
Old 07-26-2019, 03:51 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

So you bought a defective one that had leaked the xenon gas. Okay then.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 99

Down boys.
No I’m saying I really liked the ones I had, the one being replaced caught a rock that punched a hole in it - and it continued working for 3 years.
It stopped recently, so I bought a new one that fogged up immediately.
Exchanged that one for another SilverStar as it was obviously defective.
Essentially just saying what gives? these new silverstars no longer say performance on the front, and it’s not as bright as my old 5+ year one. Seeing if anyone else has noticed this from having an old one that works, to buying a new one.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Both of my 7+ year old Silver Stars have "performance" on them. I looked at amazon and the image on the front of the Silver Star says the same. Looked at Sylvania's site and both the SilverStar and Xtravision have "performance" on them. The basic has "halogen". I still have the original boxes that mine came in. It does look like the packaging has changed. So any chance you got basic's instead of Silverstar's?
The following users liked this post:
PatHenry (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by EZEARL
Both of my 7+ year old Silver Stars have "performance" on them. I looked at amazon and the image on the front of the Silver Star says the same. Looked at Sylvania's site and both the SilverStar and Xtravision have "performance" on them. The basic has "halogen". I still have the original boxes that mine came in. It does look like the packaging has changed. So any chance you got basic's instead of Silverstar's?
I'm guessing that this is exactly what your problem is. Headlights are like $15, buy a set of the Xtravision or Silverstar ones off Amazon or Rockauto, make sure you have the headlight harness upgrade and you should be good to go.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

I remember when I did the harness upgrade with the SS's and was advised by some that they did last very long. I sure hope the OP either purchased the wrong ones was sold the wrong ones. The beam pattern by the SS's in my XJ is VERY GOOD so I hope they haven't changed.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:37 AM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Did you buy the parts at a parts store? Sometimes people may buy a set of cheap ones and a set of expensive ones, put the expensive on the jeep. Then they take the cheap ones, put it in the expensive box, and return them. Most people working the parts counters won't check. I once brought a wiper motor from a parts store that someone clearly put the old one back in the box and returned it. Check everything before you leave the counter, lol.