Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

Headlight upgrade - Syvlania Silverstars vs. Xtravisions vs. Wagner BriteLites?

Old 12-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 renix
Default Headlight upgrade - Syvlania Silverstars vs. Xtravisions vs. Wagner BriteLites?

So as the title suggests, I want to replace these 6504's with something brighter. The lows just don't cut it, and I have trouble seeing at night particularly when it's wet, and my wife's vision is even worse.

I know I could upgrade the harness and to h4's but honestly it just isn't worth it to me as a daily driver, and the 6504s have too many options for too cheap.

The Sylvania Silverstars are apparently the best, and are on Amazon Prime for $20 a pop, so $40 total. From everywhere I've seen them, though, I've seen plenty of claims of short life (under a year) - like quite a few of these claims actually.

The Sylvania XtraVisions are on Amazon Prime for $13 a pop, so $26 total. All the reviews are pretty awesome and claim to have a very long life. Many claim they are much brighter than OEM, with a few claims that they aren't much brighter (but I don't think I believe that)

The Wagner Britelite (#H6054BL) "fake" Xenon's are on closeout on RA now, and with shipping 2 of them come out to only $19.35. Haven't seen too much about these, but according to some charts they're supposed to put out around 4000k, equal to the Silverstars (though I doubt they're as powerful)

Any suggestions?
Old 12-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Installing a harness with relays is still necessary with the Sylvanias.
I have used the XtraVision and Silverstars then added the harness. The harness made a big improvement, especially on the Silverstars which consume more amps.
Have not had an issue with longevity, 3 years with the Xtravision.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Ya I'm going with the XtraVisions, advance has them for $15 a piece.

Are they still noticeably brighter than OEM without the harness?

I suppose I'll throw them in and just do the harness later on when I'm not lazy.

I'm seeing that the harness is what really makes the difference....hmmmm

Last edited by Stabsthedrama; 12-12-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994

Originally Posted by Stabsthedrama
Ya I'm going with the XtraVisions, advance has them for $15 a piece.

Are they still noticeably brighter than OEM without the harness?

I suppose I'll throw them in and just do the harness later on when I'm not lazy.
Harness should be the first thing you do
Old 12-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Yes, they are a definite improvement over regular sealed beam headlights on stock harness.
The issues is they draw more current, or at least try to, through the stock wiring and switch.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:14 AM

Year: 87

Do not waste your money on the Sylvania Silverstars.
Do it right upgrade your headlight wiring with relays.
Check on the forum for headlight wiring info.
I used Daniel Sterns website for info and parts.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html

Night and day difference with just wiring upgrade, I used 12 gauge wire and relays. Currently running stock head lamps, I tried the Silverstars and not much difference and the low beams burned out in about 1 year, the quality of these headlamps are poor.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Ok so only question left is if I build a harness can't I just use the stock headlight connectors for staying with 6504's instead of having to source/buy the h4/9003 connectors? It seems that the price of the h4 connectors are almost half the cost of just buying a harness pre-made.

I'm guessing that's what you guys did?

And you just used 12AWG for everything?

Last edited by Stabsthedrama; 12-12-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

For Christ's sake just buy a Putco harness and you may be happy with your stock setup, they will be quite a difference even in them. That's how crappy the stock harness is and the Putco is cheap to begin with.

When you ask a question it helps it you listen to what your being told instead of just blowing them off, why ask to begin with.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
For Christ's sake just buy a Putco harness and you may be happy with your stock setup, they will be quite a difference even in them. That's how crappy the stock harness is and the Putco is cheap to begin with.

When you ask a question it helps it you listen to what your being told instead of just blowing them off, why ask to begin with.
Seriously. Hell I bought my harness from a LmC magazine. Love it. Best mod ever. Don't have to worry about any old pieces or re using anything.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Seasoned Member

I'm not blowing them off... as per Cruiser's writeup there's a link to make one yourself.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm

Given that I could make one very easily with a bunch of spare wire, connectors, and relays, I was thinking about just making one.

I just now realized that they sell them on Amazon (prime, free shipping) for $28 (it's $40 + $8 shipping on that euautoworks link I kept seeing)
Amazon.com: Putco 230004HW Premium Automotive Lighting Wiring H4 100W Heavy Duty Harness and Relay: Automotive Amazon.com: Putco 230004HW Premium Automotive Lighting Wiring H4 100W Heavy Duty Harness and Relay: Automotive

So I just bought one. $28 is a deal, couldn't make one much cheaper than that.

I realized as per the comments here and some other threads I've found that yes, the harness is a must-do no matter what - if I didn't want to take advice here I would have just wasted money on new headlights without upgrading the harness...

Last edited by Stabsthedrama; 12-12-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:41 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Stabsthedrama
So as the title suggests, I want to replace these 6504's with something brighter. The lows just don't cut it, and I have trouble seeing at night particularly when it's wet, and my wife's vision is even worse.

I know I could upgrade the harness and to h4's but honestly it just isn't worth it to me as a daily driver, and the 6504s have too many options for too cheap.

Any suggestions?
Yes, upgrade the housings and harness, run H4s, and thank me later. It's really a night and day difference that you'll never get changing just the bulbs. The weak part of the system is the housings, and brighter bulbs just won't make that much of a difference. Also, and someone else mentioned, the harnesses still are a weak point in just changing the bulbs.

Personally, I'd recommend the Hella conversion.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:51 PM
Seasoned Member

It'll be hard for me to get the Hellas when the (pair) of rampages are so cheap

Amazon.com: Rampage 5089927 Halogen Conversion Headlight Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Rampage 5089927 Halogen Conversion Headlight Kit: Automotive

It'll be hard enough to even want to upgrade to these and not just spend $30 on XtraVisions...

Once I get the harness in I'll make up my mind and post an update.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by 87xjDave
Do not waste your money on the Sylvania Silverstars.
Do it right upgrade your headlight wiring with relays.
Check on the forum for headlight wiring info.
I used Daniel Sterns website for info and parts.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html

Night and day difference with just wiring upgrade, I used 12 gauge wire and relays. Currently running stock head lamps, I tried the Silverstars and not much difference and the low beams burned out in about 1 year, the quality of these headlamps are poor.
Daniel Stern's expertise in automotive lighting cannot be stressed enough. He will consult with you answering any and all questions you have for free. He's a much more reliable and knowledgeable source than a group of anonymous Jeepers. Why take my, an anonymous Jeeper's, word for it? Don't. Look him up. After a little Googling of the man, you'll be convinced all on your own.

Last edited by mschi772; 12-12-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

I did also do the harness up grade with the silver stars been over three years still work great.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

He was listening. Try reading.

Stabsthedrama, whatever you do, you really need the harness upgrade just to protect the existing harness and headlight switch. That's one of the reasons for recommending doing the harness first.

So, why not just do that, and see for yourself what the results are? Maybe it will be all you need to do. If not, well, you haven't lost anything; you can still go ahead and take the next step, whatever that is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight upgrade - Syvlania Silverstars vs. Xtravisions vs. Wagner BriteLites?