Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wiring harness alone enough of an upgrade with sealed beam silverstars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Wiring harness alone enough of an upgrade with sealed beam silverstars?

Title says it all, I bought the sealed beam silverstars long ago before I knew better, and I need more light. I will be buying some autopals eventually, but would like to put that off until these burn out if possible. Will simply using an upgraded wiring harness provide a noticeable difference in light output?

I had been using my light bar as my brights or when I needed more light, but got pulled over for it and risk getting a ticket this time if I keep using it on the road.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 4.0 I6 H.O.

Yes, a harness is some of the best money you can spend on a jeep.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:49 PM

Oops, just saw a similar thread on page 2

Anyways, from my limited reading/research, the Putco harness seems like the easiest thing to do. How hard is it to put a fuse in it? I'm not electrically inclined (it took me an hour just to wire my lightbar), so i'm hoping it's simple. Is there another, better option?
Old 12-17-2014, 05:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 renix

That was my thread.

Go with the putco on amazon, it's cheap:
Amazon.com: Putco 230004HW Premium Automotive Lighting Wiring H4 100W Heavy Duty Harness and Relay: Automotive Amazon.com: Putco 230004HW Premium Automotive Lighting Wiring H4 100W Heavy Duty Harness and Relay: Automotive

I wouldn't worry about fuses.

Sand down ground points to bare metal (use any of the bolts near the radiator).

Buy a backup relay just in case:
Amazon.com: Pilot PL-RY1 Auxiliary Lighting Accessory: Automotive Amazon.com: Pilot PL-RY1 Auxiliary Lighting Accessory: Automotive

BE CAREFUL HANDLING THE HARNESS - the relay sockets can have their wires pulled out fairly easily if you aren't careful. Also feed the red power connections and relay sockets through FROM the front of the jeep through the headlight housing, makes the job 100% easier, and you won't need to remove the battery tray or anything whacky.

The harness itself definitely made my stock beams brighter, I'd say maybe a 15-20% increase. This will be even more noticeable when you go to better bulbs.

Don't buy silverstars. They have terrible lifespans. Even 2 guys at work have both had them in the past, one had theirs last 3 months, the other just about 1 - and if you look at reviews, everywhere people slam them bad. Get the xtravisions, $13 on amazon or $16 at an auto store.

There is no reason for getting 100w+, and if you wanted to do that to be like all the other cool kids - don't use this harness, build your own.

All in all the job took me about an hour, and only because I gloss blacked the headlight trim pieces cuz they were all scratched up. Otherwise it might have taken me 30-40 minutes.

Last edited by Stabsthedrama; 12-17-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Stabsthedrama
That was my thread.

Go with the putco on amazon, it's cheap:
Amazon.com: Putco 230004HW Premium Automotive Lighting Wiring H4 100W Heavy Duty Harness and Relay: Automotive

I wouldn't worry about fuses.

Sand down ground points to bare metal (use any of the bolts near the radiator).

Buy a backup relay just in case:
Amazon.com: Pilot PL-RY1 Auxiliary Lighting Accessory: Automotive

BE CAREFUL HANDLING THE HARNESS - the relay sockets can have their wires pulled out fairly easily if you aren't careful. Also feed the red power connections and relay sockets through FROM the front of the jeep through the headlight housing, makes the job 100% easier, and you won't need to remove the battery tray or anything whacky.

The harness itself definitely made my stock beams brighter, I'd say maybe a 15-20% increase. This will be even more noticeable when you go to better bulbs.

Don't buy silverstars. They have terrible lifespans. Even 2 guys at work have both had them in the past, one had theirs last 3 months, the other just about 1 - and if you look at reviews, everywhere people slam them bad. Get the xtravisions, $13 on amazon or $16 at an auto store.

There is no reason for getting 100w+, and if you wanted to do that to be like all the other cool kids - don't use this harness, build your own.

All in all the job took me about an hour, and only because I gloss blacked the headlight trim pieces cuz they were all scratched up. Otherwise it might have taken me 30-40 minutes.
Yeah I saw it was a lot cheaper on amazon, and unfortunately I've already had the silverstars installed for over a year, so I'm stuck with them until they burn out. Thanks for the tips.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the first generation Silverstar lamps in my Firehawk for over 10 years now, and they still work perfectly.................
Vibration, as well as a poor connection at the bulb/lamp are the main causes of failure...............I've had Silverstar Ultras in Autopal housings on the XJ for over a year, and they work the same also.........

Make sure your headlamp retaining rings hold the lamp in securely.........and check the connector (make sure all three prongs connect securely) It can overheat and melt if you have a poor connection.............

Definitely do the relay...............(I have one waiting to be installed on the XJ)..........I did one on my FJ (Yamaha) and that alone made a huge difference in light output..........

Don't use your light bar on the street......................You will get pulled over as soon as you are spotted!

Last edited by Firehawk068; 12-17-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L i6

The relay project was much easier than typical XJ projects.
Here is everything you need to know. Good luck!
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/hea...inners-182360/
Old 12-17-2014, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Firehawk068
Don't use your light bar on the street......................You will get pulled over as soon as you are spotted!
I got away with it for almost a year, I live outside of town so most of my driving is on two lane roads and I never used it in town and turned it off whenever someone was coming. One night a cop was hiding somewhere, I still have no idea where, but he said I completely blinded him. He was cool about it though and even said he liked it, just told me I would get a ticket next time lol.

Originally Posted by BimmerJeeper
The relay project was much easier than typical XJ projects.
Here is everything you need to know. Good luck!
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/hea...inners-182360/
Awesome, thank you! I am that beginner that you're talking about haha.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

You will be pleasantly supersized at what just the harness will give you, a worthwhile upgrade that should have been that way from the factory.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:01 AM

Year: 1999

Have also had the silverstars for over 2 years....still nice and bright.Also have the Putco harness for over 2 years no problem.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:41 PM

Am I reading correctly that I do not need to put fuses in the putco harness if I am just running the silverstars? But I will need to do so if I switch to high wattage h4's?

Or should I do the fuses regardless
Old 12-18-2014, 09:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 renix

Originally Posted by boondocksaint
Am I reading correctly that I do not need to put fuses in the putco harness if I am just running the silverstars? But I will need to do so if I switch to high wattage h4's?

Or should I do the fuses regardless
All's I was saying was the fuses aren't necessary. They would serve little purpose. They would save your relays but still leave you blind at night if they blow until you swap them out. Just keep an extra relay or two in the jeep.

What I was saying was I wouldn't run 100w+ on this harness fuses or not, but maybe that's just me. It's just not beefy enough IMO. I'd be making my own harness out of 12AWG if I was going with that much power draw. A lot of guys here would disagree, as they've been running high wattage bulbs on this same harness for a long time.

Last edited by Stabsthedrama; 12-18-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998

Good info.

thanks.