Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

simple math...me+electrical=disaster

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: inline 6 4.0L
Default simple math...me+electrical=disaster

I don't know what the deal is with the XJs electrical system. ever since the weather has been screwed up here in Illinois my entire system has been on the fritz. It first started out pretty simple, the stereo stopped working randomly, but started back up when I open the driver door. so I figure there's just a loose wire somewhere in there. I didn't really worry about it cuz I rarely use the stereo, but one day when it got fairly warm (50ish) I go to put something in the back of the jeep and shut the tailgate and start to drive down the street and the red idiot light for the tailgate being open was on. so I go to check whats up and its shut.
I started it up the next day and the light is off and stereo was working fine. being it was warm I decide to take the bike to work and drive it for the week, didn't drive the Jeep. I started it yesterday and the tailgate idiot light is on and stereo's not working parked it for the night at a friends house. Came back today and opened the door expecting the interior lights to turn on so I can see (night time) and they didn't. checked to see if it would start (it did). but the things that didn't work were interior lights, stereo and gauges. everything else did, headlights, tail lights, brake lights turn signals, etc.
WHAT IS GOING ON! I mean my jeep does get moody sometimes but damn! never like this. I can live without the radio but when Idk how fast im going, how much gas I have, engine temp, voltage, it becomes a problem. any suggestions on what my problem can be?
Old 02-06-2012, 01:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Have you tried refreshing grounds? They seem to be the root of most electrical issues.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:23 PM

where would all the grounds be. I know the one off the battery on the inner fender and the one to the block. are there any other ones?
Old 02-06-2012, 05:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Grounds can be the root cause of many electrical gremlins. Refreshing grounds is NEVER a bad idea, and the investment of your time in this procedure is always well worth it!

You can't tell much of anything by looking at ground connections!! You must remove, scrape, clean until shiny the cable/wire ends and whatever they bolt to. Be sure to remove all paint from any ground connections.

Start with the one on the back corner of the head, and where it attaches to the firewall, as it deteriorates over time and is an area that makes it susceptible to damage. Best to replace that woven cable with a #4 or #2 gauge cable. You can attach the one end to the intake manifold if you would like.

Next go over to the engine dipstick tube stud. Remove the nut and clean the wire ends and scrape the block until shiny at the stud. Reattach tightly.

If you are so inclined, add at least a #6 cable from the negative terminal of your battery to one of the bolts on your radiator support.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:02 PM

i think I might just have to do that. but what surprised me is no one said anything about fuses. you think that could be a cause? and if so are there charts to show what fuse goes where? just so I can narrow it down a little.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:19 PM

ok well I checked all the grounds and all clean and tight. I just pulled fuses to see if any blew and the one that keeps blowing is the 15 amp mini fuse at the top right in the same area as the one with the black arrow (dont mind the black arrow. not one im talking about) what does this fuse go to. it pops instantly. any suggestions?? ***pic didnt work***
Ill get another soon

Last edited by jeepxj412; 02-06-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:30 PM

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs429....8_459961_n.jpg
Its the top right 15 amp mini fuse
Old 02-07-2012, 05:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Check out this link for a description of "some" of the fuses on the 97-01.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...tification.htm

Looks like the fuse of yours that is blowing is the "ignition off draw fuse" That correlates with what you are describing as well.

Did you do any rewiring lately? Hope you are good with a meter and a wiring diagram. You have a short circuit somewhere on this circuit and you need to determine where. Could be underhood lamp, door jamb switches, etc. Anywhere on that circuit. Good luck and let us know what you find!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...lowing-976759/

http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185144

Last edited by tjwalker; 02-07-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97

Not just Xjs but I have had many vehicles that wires break between where they enter the door and the bulkhead from opening/closing/opening/closing; I know I have this on my current 97 as we speak on the pass side because the speaker will cut in n out and I bump the corrugated boot that the wires are routed in and the speaker will come back..... since it's "just a speaker" I aint too worried about it.
Had the same thing happen on my son's 89 Ramcharger, thought the PW motor died and it wound up being a busted wire there too.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:17 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That same fuse was blowing out on my wifes 98. I would replace it and it worked for a while. Then it would randomly blow out again.

Turned out when she would put it in drive she would turn on the rear defrost, the rear defrost had a a short in it and would pop the fuse...

Moral of the story: There is A LOT of stuff on that circuit. It's going to take some time.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:00 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

you got a short, get familiar with a meter.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
Check out this link for a description of "some" of the fuses on the 97-01.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...tification.htm

Looks like the fuse of yours that is blowing is the "ignition off draw fuse" That correlates with what you are describing as well.

Did you do any rewiring lately? Hope you are good with a meter and a wiring diagram. You have a short circuit somewhere on this circuit and you need to determine where. Could be underhood lamp, door jamb switches, etc. Anywhere on that circuit. Good luck and let us know what you find!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...lowing-976759/

http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185144
I was looking at that first a couple days ago but didnt put 2 and 2 together lol. but yea its looking like that circuit is my problem. the last time I rewired something was 2 years ago when I put new speakers in. the wires were sliced up where the door opens. the underhood lamp hasnt worked since I got the jeep and the only thing on my door jamb switches that isnt working is my lock switch...but the unlock works. whats the deal with that? if one works the other should right?
Old 02-08-2012, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by lowrange2
That same fuse was blowing out on my wifes 98. I would replace it and it worked for a while. Then it would randomly blow out again.

Turned out when she would put it in drive she would turn on the rear defrost, the rear defrost had a a short in it and would pop the fuse...

Moral of the story: There is A LOT of stuff on that circuit. It's going to take some time.
well unfortunately when I put the new one in it pops instantly...and i do take the negative off the battery before i do that. weird thing is when I shut my tailgate while the jeep was off then turned it on was when I first noticed it. so im thinking somewhere in the tailgate or driver door. I still have to figure out how to use a multimeter
Old 02-17-2012, 03:10 PM

well I know its a week later but I finally got around to checking out the problem. I think I have it figured out. in the door jamb where the wires feed through that rubber boot I found 3 wires cut and 3-4 wires pinched with the insulation coming off. so chances are that's my issue. my question is, how do I go about fixing the wires. and not have them get pinched again? now I do plan on making the doors removable this spring and was going to do quick disconnect for the wires but will doing this crush the disconnects?
Old 02-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm also doing that this summer, my plan was to lengthen the wires and just stuff the disconnects into the door