new in wyoming

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I-6
Default new in wyoming

hello from wyoming — sold my 2014 jeep ****** to get rid of the payment and decided on a low-mileage 87 cherokee i found in colorado (with plans on buying a cj in the future). it was tough for me to turn down 100k miles on a 28 year old vehicle. plus, growing up, my mom had an 87 or 88 charcoal pioneer, so it's somewhat nostalgic.

interior is pretty perfect. a couple stitching issues on the leather. the elect. seat control module is broke on the passenger seat. as with the elect. window problem below, i kinda just wish it was manuel. one of the guy's friends made the roof rack. the light wiring is kinda sloppy and i kinda feel like i want a a retail one but it'll come later. he took the fender flares off to get 32 in. tires on. i don't like the wheels and i'm not even sure the 32s are necessary. i want the black steel wheels and possibly 31s and eventually the flat style fender flares.

couple of minor things: something on the steering column is broke. i think something with the tilt, but i'm not sure. steering wheel is loose. the guy said it never caused him problems so he never fixed it so of course, it caused me problems pretty quickly. wouldn't start — the play messed with the ignition, so i replaced the lock and switch, but something was still wrong with it's connection to the starter. for a temporary fix, i bypassed it with a pushbutton starter on the bottom part of the dash below the column.

the guy also said the front passenger window messed up (it's got electric windows and locks, unfortunately. i'd prefer manuel in such an old model) and he had to take the panel off and did something. when my parents were here a few weeks ago the motor broke while my dad was using it. i'm in the middle of working on this. my door panel has been off for about 2 weeks as i waited for parts. ended up just getting the motor, as that's where the noise sounded like it was coming from. soon as my drill charges i'm drilling out the few remaining rivets and hopefully this will be fixed. i could see where the po had taken the panel off and cracked the trim around the window and lock *****. it's just cosmetic, but it annoys me, so if anyone has a spare one i'll gladly take it off your hands. as well as maybe a steering column assembly?

other than that, i'm pretty happy with it. i'd like to do some simple modifications to give it a little more power. from what i've read i'll probably go the simple route of throttle body, cold air intake, header and exhaust. oh, and he put on a newer radiator. i want to say he said from a 91?

anyway, thanks in advance for the advice i'm sure i'll get at some point!
Old 09-27-2015, 07:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Hey welcome to the forum.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:15 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 2.5 td

Welcome from England, good introduction.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:57 PM

Welcome to Wyoming!! Rock River, WY here where ya located? Look me up on facebook as well, name's Pyro Chuck.