Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rebuilt Motor No Start

Old 07-14-2016, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Rebuilt Motor No Start

A while ago I blew the motor in my 97 (piston skirt broke in the 4th cylinder). Over the next few weeks I did a full rebuild on it. I first took the block and head down to a machine shop for a bore and hone and a head rebuild. I bought a "master rebuild" kit for the engine that came with pistons, piston rings, bearings, a new camshaft, timing chain, and seals... and probably some other stuff I am forgetting. All other parts that where reused I made sure where ultrasonically cleaned before they where put back on. I also did a new flex plate while the thing was out. Once the motor was back in I redid all my broken vacuum lines (all the plastic lines). The last thing I did was check all connections, put a new battery in and prime the oil.

The time came to finally try starting it a few days ago and when I tried it just turned over and over. I first thought it was fuel related, but with a couple tests I ruled that out. Next I thought timing, which I was 180 degrees off on per the distributor. I then checked compression and all checks out in all cylinders. I then replaced all the spark plugs, the wires, the distributor cap, and the rotor, still turning over and not firing. Today I replaced the CPS and used a OBD2 reader to see if I was sending out any codes. no codes, no start. One time I heard a single fire of a cylinder, but besides that nothing. I don't know what else to check on the dumb thing. Ill attach a video of the thing just turning over but I can't tell what else to do. Any advise helps, Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
No Start.mov (4.75 MB, 33 views)
Old 07-14-2016, 10:49 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

I would check that you are getting fuel at proper pressure.

Then double check the distributor. Did you align it according to the FSM procedures detailing 1 piston position and distributor at 11 oclock?
Old 07-14-2016, 11:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I had the exact same problem with mine when we replaced with a rebuild. Moved the distributor just ahead of #1 and it fired right up.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by OldTires
I would check that you are getting fuel at proper pressure.

Then double check the distributor. Did you align it according to the FSM procedures detailing 1 piston position and distributor at 11 oclock?
The fuel pressure is at 50 PSI according to the O'Reilly fuel pressure gauge. Seems high but it should still fire at 50 PSI, maybe make a sound or something.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by jhc7399
I had the exact same problem with mine when we replaced with a rebuild. Moved the distributor just ahead of #1 and it fired right up.
Ill check the distributor again, maybe it is the problem.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Many of the spark plug wiring diagrams you see on the 'Net are wrong. They get the starting point wrong, so you may have all the plug wires one off. That ain't gonna work, but I can see it maybe firing a cylinder now and then as you describe.

The correct diagram can be found here.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:28 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,522 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Year: 1990

Here:
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2016, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Many of the spark plug wiring diagrams you see on the 'Net are wrong. They get the starting point wrong, so you may have all the plug wires one off. That ain't gonna work, but I can see it maybe firing a cylinder now and then as you describe.

The correct diagram can be found here.
The spark plugs are correct, I thought about that at first but quickly ruled that out after cross referencing all the freeing order pictures I've seen.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rojito
The spark plugs are correct, I thought about that at first but quickly ruled that out after cross referencing all the freeing order pictures I've seen.
Since you checked spark plugs and replaced the crank position sensor, the next thing I would check is the ASD relay. Be sure you have your 5v on injectors and that the coil is getting power. Pone easy way to narrow down this problem is to put a little dribble of gas in the throttle body. If it runs it not a timing problem or ignition problem, it's a fuel delivery problem, most likely fuel injectors not getting power or pulse signal from ECM
Old 07-17-2016, 05:30 PM

Tried using starter fluid today and managed to get a backfire through the throttle body. I set the engine to top dead center and found the distributor was 180 off. Once I set it correct I tried starting again and now I am getting blowback through the TB every time. Can the timing chain be off 180 or something like that?
Old 07-18-2016, 11:26 AM

Year: 1988
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L w/Renix

Tried using starter fluid today and managed to get a backfire through the throttle body. I set the engine to top dead center and found the distributor was 180 off. Once I set it correct I tried starting again and now I am getting blowback through the TB every time. Can the timing chain be off 180 or something like that?
The timing chain can be off any number of degrees if you didn't get the orientation correct between the cam and crank.

What procedure did you use when installing the new chain as far as the timing between the cam and crank?
Old 07-18-2016, 11:10 PM

So today I finally got the thing to start, the distributor was just enough off for it to not start, thanks for the help everyone!
Old 07-18-2016, 11:52 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,522 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Year: 1990

So today I finally got the thing to start, the distributor was just enough off for it to not start, thanks for the help everyone!
Not surprised. Usually the case.