Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Low growl at slow coast or stopped.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Low growl at slow coast or stopped.

So I've got an 01 WJ. Its got a brand new 247 TC in her. I know she needs new CVs on both sides. The front shaft is probably due for a change as well. In fact lets just say shes due for a complete suspension and drive-train overhaul.

She recently (today) started making this low growl when moving at low RPM and at a slow coast, I noticed too while parking that if I hold down the brakes while shes in drive, its a constant growl.

Now here is the kicker, if I slip her into neutral while holding down the brakes the growl stops.

Also, after starting on and off a few times I noticed the growl is there for a split second during start-up.

I plan on doing all of the work myself, I just really don't want it to be a new TC.

She drives fine, no stutter or vibration, just the low growl.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L

Just FYI, this is the forum for the original XJ Cherokee, not the Grand Cherokee. You'll get mo' betta help here: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/

However, if you are getting a growl when the transmission is in drive but you are not moving, I would suspect TC or other transmission issues. If you are stopped and it is growling, you rule out any CV or driveshaft issues. Best of luck!