Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

More broken bolts...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default More broken bolts...

I was trying to remove my seats today and as fate would have it, I broke the first bolt that I tried to remove. I have sprayed the bolts with pb (a few day ago) but no luck. I was able to drill out the bolt and retap it but I really don't want to do that with all of them. Anyone have any ideas? or had the same problem? By the way the bolts are the ones that hold the seat brackets to the floor/body. 3 (per seat)are bolts and one is a stud/nut combo (that one looks like its in good shape and should not be a problem) Any help would be great.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

More PB and a few more days. Use less torque next time and avoid odd angles of application. Be gentle but firm with your friend...
Old 04-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

done. I only broke one other bolt...not bad if you ask me. I got to see what was under my carpet too.....I guess I'll fix more rust now.
Besides a pressure washer, what is a good way to clean my carpet? Take it to the car wash?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 01

These are the exact same bolts that hold the top of the rear shocks in place that break off too. If you ever see a new one you can even feel that they are not even round. A tap is an exaggerated example of how they are. They corrode in those flutes and then seize when you turn them.After breaking many off on my 95, when I bought my new '01 I pulled as many of these off as I could and put anti seize on them,so far it has worked.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:51 PM

The head rounded on this bolt to the harmonic balancer in the crankshaft. I used a drill with constant PB blaster at a slow pace. Never let the material get too hot, stopping and letting it cool will make the job easier. After the hole is drilled into the thread of the bolt, slowly tap an easy out into the hole. Slowly turn to thread out.
Attached Thumbnails More broken bolts...-vw-crank.jpg   More broken bolts...-vw-crank-1.jpg  
Old 06-19-2011, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 H.O.

Originally Posted by phsycho
I was trying to remove my seats today and as fate would have it, I broke the first bolt that I tried to remove. I have sprayed the bolts with pb (a few day ago) but no luck. I was able to drill out the bolt and retap it but I really don't want to do that with all of them. Anyone have any ideas? or had the same problem? By the way the bolts are the ones that hold the seat brackets to the floor/body. 3 (per seat)are bolts and one is a stud/nut combo (that one looks like its in good shape and should not be a problem) Any help would be great.
what size drill bit and retap did you use, I have the same problem
Old 01-17-2012, 05:23 PM

LOL.... BUMP!!!

Same here....
Old 01-17-2012, 05:32 PM
N8N

Year: 1999

when removing seized-up bolts, always smack the ratchet handle with the palm of your hand, don't just grab it and reef on it like you're lifting weights. Impact/shock can help break loose a rusted-tight fastener, while just pulling on the handle and increasing force until something happens is a good way to twist stuff off. My apologies if you already knew this, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:04 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by N8N
when removing seized-up bolts, always smack the ratchet handle with the palm of your hand, don't just grab it and reef on it like you're lifting weights. Impact/shock can help break loose a rusted-tight fastener, while just pulling on the handle and increasing force until something happens is a good way to twist stuff off. My apologies if you already knew this, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Definately worth mentioning.. I would like to add, even when it finally does turn a little, stop, spray again, turn the opposite way(tighten) just a little, then proceed.