Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electric fan issues.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Electric fan issues.

I have a 97 Jeep Cherokee Sport with the 4.0. Here recently i had issues with my electric fan randomly turning on when the jeep has been off for hours. I replaced the relay, hoping that would fix it but it has not. I can move the relay a little and it stops but i think it is just because its coming unplugged.
Does it sound like i need to replace the fan or is there another possible issue?
Thanks
Name:  017_zpsjzyrwhfd.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  420.1 KB
Here is my jeep.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: I6 4.0L

There is some good discussion here: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/aux...im-lost-97314/

Check your temp sending unit and further test your relay.

Good looking rig, I have a soft spot for white with black grille...here's my machine:
Old 06-10-2016, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

If your fan is coming on when it is supplied with electricity, it's working properly, isn't it? That's what fans are supposed to do, right? Why would you consider replacing a properly working fan? Stop guessing, start thinking.

The problem is not the fan, the problem is that it is being switched on when it should not. The fan isn't switching the voltage. Something upstream of the fan is doing that.

If it stops when you wiggle the relay, start there. That should not happen. It's possible you have a bad relay socket and it is randomly grounding out, thus triggering the fan. A wiggly socket means START THERE.

Also possibly a bad relay.

They are cheap enough. If the socket isn't wiggly, try replacing the relay and see what happens.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

OP CLEARLY stated he already replaced the relay, didn't he? I'd start with actually trying to pay attention to what's written.
Sorry Awork, he threw some shade on a question I had about my fan too. I am willing to bet the problem is with your fuse block itself. Try taking it apart and checking for possible corrosion underneath
Old 06-11-2016, 07:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
If your fan is coming on when it is supplied with electricity, it's working properly, isn't it? That's what fans are supposed to do, right? Why would you consider replacing a properly working fan? Stop guessing, start thinking.

The problem is not the fan, the problem is that it is being switched on when it should not. The fan isn't switching the voltage. Something upstream of the fan is doing that.

If it stops when you wiggle the relay, start there. That should not happen. It's possible you have a bad relay socket and it is randomly grounding out, thus triggering the fan. A wiggly socket means START THERE.

Also possibly a bad relay.

They are cheap enough. If the socket isn't wiggly, try replacing the relay and see what happens.

Well I believe there reason I asked on the forum was to brain storm with people before actually replacing things that don't need replaced. Like I stated in my original post, I have already replaced the relay for the fan. I can do a lot of work on my own but when it comes to electrical issues I have limited experience.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by MsMassakre
OP CLEARLY stated he already replaced the relay, didn't he? I'd start with actually trying to pay attention to what's written.
Sorry Awork, he threw some shade on a question I had about my fan too. I am willing to bet the problem is with your fuse block itself. Try taking it apart and checking for possible corrosion underneath

Oh I understand. There seems to be a lot of people that like to do that on here...

Thanks for the advice, I will try to do that this weekend. Hopefully it is something easy like that. I have already had to deal with a couple electrical gremlins!
Old 06-11-2016, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

No problem, hope it works out for ya.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by awork
Well I believe there reason I asked on the forum was to brain storm with people before actually replacing things that don't need replaced.

That's a weird idea! All wrong. Waaaaay wrong! You are supposed to randomly replace at least $50 worth of parts before doing any troubleshooting or checking!

Like I stated in my original post, I have already replaced the relay for the fan.
Sorry, I missed that.

I can do a lot of work on my own but when it comes to electrical issues I have limited experience.
Which is why I pointed out the thought process - to help you think it through. The fan can't turn itself on, so the fan coming on randomly can't be fixed by replacing the fan. So, look at the components that turn on the fan. That would include the relay (which can be affected by the relay socket), some sensors, and the ECM.

Here's a site that does an excellent job of explaining relays in particular, and 12v circuits in general:

http://www.the12volt.com/
Old 06-12-2016, 09:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

I have already had to deal with a couple electrical gremlins!
Has this vehicle ever been flooded, water leaks?