Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Curious problem...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question Curious problem...

I opened the front door panels on my 98 XJ in an attempt to inspect the speakers' condition (since the right one never worked since I got the Jeep from a previous owner, and the left would only work as it pleased -generally when opening the door).

Logic would imply that a wire was loose or faulty. Everything seemed to be fine and the speakers (stock) was ok as well. Carefully, I closed the door panel again only to find that the power door locks wont lock. I made sure everything was plugged back the way it was, the controls work fine and I can see the "lock" button move slightly but not all the way to actually lock the door (the rear doors lock and unlock from the master with no problems at all). I tried the lock manually and it feels as if something is stopping the button from physically moving to the locked position.

In my attemtpt to solve the riddle, I opened the passenger side door panel and everything seemed (at least to me) to be exactly like I had it on the driver side. So, once again I closed the panel and ran into the same exact problem. The lock controls work fine (you can actually see the metal rods moving when the switch is activated) but the button wont move all the way.

I'm at a loss here, hopefully some of you gentlemen will be able to shed some light into this "mystery".

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Wagoneer

that panel where the automatic windows, doors and locks should come out. so maybe try taking the door off again, where youll see little plastic latches holding the panel in and just push those alittle and pop the panel out from the top. this should free up the wiring so you can inspect it without taking the door off everytime. as for the button, you should be able to inspect it easier now and id check your rain seals and other plastics in the door to make sure their not loose and jamming your linkage.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

you said your front door speakers are coming and going as they want. check the wiring were it comes through the door from the body. My speakers were doing the same thing. I had a wire that rubbed threw the coating and it was grounding out on the door. so just look for exposed wires
Old 10-13-2008, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by sk8ertht540s
you said your front door speakers are coming and going as they want. check the wiring were it comes through the door from the body. My speakers were doing the same thing. I had a wire that rubbed threw the coating and it was grounding out on the door. so just look for exposed wires
That is what I intended to do at first, then to my surprise I found (on both doors) that the wires were in good condition (not stripped or exposed) and they were still bound in what it seems to me the factory wire bundle (with other cables) that goes from the body to the door. I inspected said bundle as well and it seems fine, actually everything inside looks like it has not been disturbed in quite some time.

It is the weirdest thing, I swear.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee

as far as the speaker goes,i've had that problem many times and in my experience the wire can look physically fine but inside the insulation the wires can be corroded or broke,if the speakers cutting in and out when you shut and open the door check the wire from the connection back to where it goes to the body,cut the rubber conduit and pull it out then wiggle it while the speaker is playing when it cuts out (or on) you found the bad spot
Old 10-15-2008, 12:41 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: i6

I have the same problem with my 2001 Cherokee minus the lock issues but i also have the speakers on the top in the back that work when i go over bumps and such how do i get to the speakers on the roof in back?
Old 10-16-2008, 03:00 PM

To get to the speakers on the back is very easy. Just carefully "pop" open (pull down, if you will) the speaker guard/grill and you'll see the exposed speaker. There are two screws holding it in place, remove those and you'll be able to take out the speaker to inspect the wiring.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:29 PM

Year: 1997

my friend at school just did my speakers, same problem guy. i have a 97 sport, he had to pull on the wire going to the lock button ('Push') eventually he got them to move freely and lock on my driver & passenger, only i cant lock it by pushing it anymore i have to use the power lock button.