Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front drive shaft the same as a 4 door?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Default Front drive shaft the same as a 4 door?

Hey all.
Still pretty new here, and new to jeeps. But I need a new front drive shaft. My jeep is a 91 2 door. I don't know what model it is. Xj, or whatever.
But I'm curious if a front drive shaft from a 4 door, would fit a 2 door Cherokee?
Just curious because I went to our local junk yard. Found a two door, but no drive shaft. There's a few 4 door Cherokees there. That have them.
I was thinking it should be the same. The only difference in the drive should be the rear. Maybe I'm wrong.
Thanks for the input y'all. Appreciate it.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 1999 4.0L

The wheelbase is the same for 4-door and 2-door. The factors that determine the driveshaft length are the type of engine and transmission, and type of rear axle for the rear driveshaft.

4cyl vs 6cyl engines have slightly different mounting, which affects the position of the transmission and transfercase that are mated up. Other engines from earlier models are different--generally best to ignore 84-86 as the wheelbase on those is different.

The AX5 is the shortest transmission, while the AW4 is the longest transmission, and since the transfer case mounts to the tail of the transmission, the position of the output yokes on the transfer case can be moved forward or backward by several inches.

Also the pinion length on the rear axle will affect the length of the rear driveshaft. D44 and C8.25 pinions are 1" longer than the D35.

So generally speaking you need to match the engine and transmission for front driveshaft, and the engine transmission and axle for rear driveshaft.