Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zone 3" coil hate

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 07:38 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Zone 3" coil hate

So Ive been running Zones 3" coils and their nitro shocks for close to 2 years. Ever since theyve been on I have been disappointed in how stiff and harsh the ride was. I did the shackle relocation, got rid of AAL for a bastard pack that I tweaked a couple times to get right, added CADs and played with tire pressures. While all of these helped I was still never really satisfied. I could never really bring myself to put out the cash for higher end shocks as so many people recommend in fear that Id still feel dissatisfied and feel like I wasted money.

Recently I picked up some RE lift shackles to replace my OEM ones. While doing the job I realized the zone nitro shocks were toast and being low on non essential funds I searched around for budget alternatives and learned f150 shocks are a good length for my lift height and with a bushing swap they would fit. Never gave a thought that they would be worse than the Zones but boy was that a major oversight. They were so stiff it felt like getting kidney punched over harsh freeway bumps.

So after seeing how they felt and doing some thinking and researching I decided to do some more searching and see what was out there that would fit and from a vehicle closer to an XJs weight. I also wanted SOFT shocks being so sick of a harsh ride. I decided to buy the cheapest shocks I could find locally. Found s10 rears and YJ fronts would fit with some bushing swaps again and found a 30% off coupon for Advanced and picked up 4 Monroe Gas Matics for $60. Spent a few hours getting them modded and installed. Took her out for a 15 mile drive and......

OMG my beast has been tamed. She hasnt rode this smooth since stock. I have no expectations on durability etc on these but I had to share how drastic a difference there is.

So as to the title of the post. I apologize for bad mouthing Zones spring rate. It is so clear now how important the combination of vehicle weight against spring rate against shock stiffness(valving) determines how stiff or soft the suspension is. I knew this somewhere in the back of my mind I just hadnt put it all together. Geometry ties into this equation as well.

Once funds loosen up I will give the so highly recommended Bilsteins a shot. Now that I know how much variance there can be between two different shocks.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

I have a 3" zone kit with full packs and black nitro shocks. The WORST riding lift I've ever had. As much as it kills me to say this, the RC N2.0's are better riding and last longer.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4litre

Bilstein or nothing.

But it seems like you found a nice combo for a reasonable price. Nothing worse than a harsh ride.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

Interesting experience.

I have the 3" Zone kit with full leafs and nitros as well. I love it, no compliants, and it rides just fine & does great offroad...
Old 08-31-2014, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

Based on what I hear, when I buy my first (and cheap) lift, im probably staying with the non-"upgraded" shocks because they apparently ride softer.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

Wimps...LOL. This is a Jeep we're talking about after all!
Old 08-31-2014, 12:40 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
Wimps...LOL. This is a Jeep we're talking about after all!
Nah I just don't wanna pay more for "upgraded" shocks haha
Old 08-31-2014, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

I have been very happy with my Rustys 3"coils and full leafs both American made and on for 2 yrs. zero sag. The coils were the HD ones on mine because I ordered them instead of the std. ones, winch/bumper. Bit rough before I got it all mounted but great afterwards, same for the leafs with HD rear swing out tire carrier bumper and loaded heavy in cargo area.

As far as shocks all the ones that come with the kits are cheap and I ran mine till I put the Bilstein's on, what a difference then
Old 08-31-2014, 01:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

I have an older rusty's 3.5" lift with full leafs and just recently upgraded my shocks to doetsch 8000s and the ride is absolutely amazing, they dampen the bumps and no more body roll or shakes, would recommend them any day. Plus having the rear shocks pistons down for more clearance is nice too.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Banned

Year: 2001

I am running RE coils and leafs, along with Bilsten shocks. It doesn't ride like a caddy but there aren't many caddies that can crawl up a 4 foot ledge. Depends on what you want, ride or off road performance. Myself if it rides a little rough whatever, mine is a daily driver and yes its not the greatest ride but it rocks offroad and that is what counts. I think it is a good balance. It has done the Rubicon Trail and the Mall parking lot with no issues.