Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Coil spacers

Old 09-25-2015, 09:57 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Zach Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Coil spacers

I need some help just got a 96 jeep cherokee country, I'd like to go at least 3inches right now until I can afford a better lift. I found 3inch front coil spacers what is everyone's opinion. I've heard mix reviews.
Zach Smith is offline  
Old 09-26-2015, 06:32 AM
  #2  
CF Veteran
 
4WD4EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In a large sandbox
Posts: 1,619
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by Zach Smith View Post
I need some help just got a 96 jeep cherokee country, I'd like to go at least 3inches right now until I can afford a better lift. I found 3inch front coil spacers what is everyone's opinion. I've heard mix reviews.
That depends on your particular application. A little more info on the build would help you get a more definitive answer. Are you planning on using it as a DD, off-road only, etc.? Is the rear lifted? How much?
4WD4EVER is offline  
Old 09-26-2015, 11:58 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Zach Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by 4WD4EVER View Post
That depends on your particular application. A little more info on the build would help you get a more definitive answer. Are you planning on using it as a DD, off-road only, etc.? Is the rear lifted? How much?
I drive the jeep to work and back home and sometimes to run around in town on weekends I usually take it off road but nothing extreme. And it comes with two options add a leaf or ajustable shackles.
Zach Smith is offline  
Old 09-26-2015, 11:59 AM
  #4  
CF Veteran
 
Fred/N0AZZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Monett, MO.
Posts: 7,554
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

3" is to much for spacers you need new coils they are under a $100 new at Rustys. In fact a complete 3" full leaf/coil/shock/hardware package is only $438 from him. You do know that new shocks are required with a lift I'm sure. Don't be tempted to use either the AAL or just shackles if the leafs are worn out.

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 09-26-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Fred/N0AZZ is offline  
Old 09-26-2015, 12:10 PM
  #5  
CF Veteran
 
4WD4EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In a large sandbox
Posts: 1,619
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0
Default

I'm with Fred. You will not be able to get away with stock shocks and you may even need an SYE. Each XJ varies. I've done 2 XJ's with 3" lift. 1 needed it and 1 did not. What is your budget for this? That may be the more important question.
4WD4EVER is offline  
Old 09-26-2015, 12:26 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Zach Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default

My budget is about $350 with shipping. I looked into rough country's 3inch lift. I was looking I get something better when I had a little more cash.
Zach Smith is offline  
Old 09-26-2015, 12:45 PM
  #7  
CF Veteran
 
4WD4EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In a large sandbox
Posts: 1,619
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0
Default

Honestly Zach, I would strongly encourage you to save a little bit more. As Fred said above, you can get a Rusty's kit that is much more inclusive. Consider checking it out. I believe you'll be much happier and less frustrated if you wait.
4WD4EVER is offline  
Old 09-26-2015, 01:10 PM
  #8  
CF Veteran
 
sycoglitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mercer County, NJ
Posts: 12,692
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO
Default

People are so quick to pull a trigger but I GUARANTEE you'll spend more fixing the crap you buy cheap. Save money, get Rustys kit. Done. Coil spacers and shackles have no place on stock suspension components. Damn shackles did more harm than good to my brand new, at the time, leafs.
sycoglitch is offline  
Old 09-26-2015, 01:11 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Zach Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by 4WD4EVER View Post
Honestly Zach, I would strongly encourage you to save a little bit more. As Fred said above, you can get a Rusty's kit that is much more inclusive. Consider checking it out. I believe you'll be much happier and less frustrated if you wait.
That's probably what I'll do I've heard a lot of things about spacers, good and bad, but couldn't find any opinions for them on an xj. I'll look into the rustys kit, thank you guys for your help!
Zach Smith is offline  
Old 09-26-2015, 01:16 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Zach Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by sycoglitch View Post
People are so quick to pull a trigger but I GUARANTEE you'll spend more fixing the crap you buy cheap. Save money, get Rustys kit. Done. Coil spacers and shackles have no place on stock suspension components. Damn shackles did more harm than good to my brand new, at the time, leafs.
I will look into, I also looked at IRO but it's cost like half the price to ship the kit I want
Zach Smith is offline  
Old 09-26-2015, 01:50 PM
  #11  
CF Veteran
 
sycoglitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mercer County, NJ
Posts: 12,692
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO
Default

Originally Posted by Zach Smith View Post
I will look into, I also looked at IRO but it's cost like half the price to ship the kit I want
If you call IRO and order over the phone and tell them you're a forum member, iirc they may still do discounts. I've ordered a lot from them and I will never regret those purchases. Same with quadratec, they do discounts to if you call them.
sycoglitch is offline  
Old 09-26-2015, 03:24 PM
  #12  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Zach Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by sycoglitch View Post
If you call IRO and order over the phone and tell them you're a forum member, iirc they may still do discounts. I've ordered a lot from them and I will never regret those purchases. Same with quadratec, they do discounts to if you call them.
Alright I'll try that, thank you.
Zach Smith is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ROCKRIDGE 4WD
Vendor Showcase
6
07-13-2016 12:11 PM
nicksan
Cherokee Chat
5
10-08-2015 12:39 PM
studmuffin
Cherokee Chat
8
10-05-2015 01:54 PM
BlvdKreeper
Cherokee Chat
5
10-01-2015 06:34 AM
g1teg
Modified XJ Cherokee Tech
22
09-28-2015 02:39 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coil spacers


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: