Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What shocks i can pick up at autozone for 3 inch lift?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Default What shocks i can pick up at autozone for 3 inch lift?

Which rear and front shocks can I pick up at the local auto parts store for around a 3 inch lift? On a 2001 jeep xj. Or can I still use the original ones?I'm installing new HD leafs on the rear and 2 inch shackles along with spacers on the front coils. Does anyone have the part # or what truck make to ask for on the shocks? Not looking for anything fancy just yet. Something economical. Also would I need to do a transfer case drop with the shackles and new HD leafs?
Old 09-30-2015, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

No you will need new shocks for a 3" lift and they can order what ever you want I would guess, it all depends how much you want to spend on them.

Mid priced ones like the Bilstein 5100 I bet they can order for a 3" lift about $85 ea.

As for a TC drop kit it depends on what happens if you will need one. As for 3" coil spacers forget about it to much lift for a spacer you need a new coil.

Most of the time these do not end well, you should do more reading to know what you can and can't do for a lift.

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 09-30-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Not to turn this into a flame thread. Question. OP, did you do 3" spacers onto stock coils, used old *** old stock coils? As for the shocks, you'll still need to measure after you do the lift to see what you need. Normally AutoZone doesn't carry shocks for lifted trucks. If by chance your lift nets at only 2-3", you may be able to get away with JK Rubicon shocks. People have mixed views on if they work. My JK takeoffs from rockauto work well with BPEs on my 3" upfront and 4-5" rear. I still get good downtravrl with them
Old 09-30-2015, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997

Yea I just read about the jk shocks a while ago. I'm picking up a set of 4 tonight for $40 on Craigslist. I'm still waiting on my leafs from quadratic to get here this week. I honestly wasn't trying To go higher than 2 inches since its my daily. But the spacers they send me look like 3 inch spacers. Then the rear leafs bent after putting on the shackle so I had no choice but to buy new ones. Didn't fell like the bastard pack is worth the hassle. I tore apart the oem shackle on the xj trying to take them off. That's why I didn't buy 3 inch leafs cause I already had the shackles. Didn't know I was going to run into this problem.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by BlvdKreeper
Yea I just read about the jk shocks a while ago. I'm picking up a set of 4 tonight for $40 on Craigslist. I'm still waiting on my leafs from quadratic to get here this week. I honestly wasn't trying To go higher than 2 inches since its my daily. But the spacers they send me look like 3 inch spacers. Then the rear leafs bent after putting on the shackle so I had no choice but to buy new ones. Didn't fell like the bastard pack is worth the hassle. I tore apart the oem shackle on the xj trying to take them off. That's why I didn't buy 3 inch leafs cause I already had the shackles. Didn't know I was going to run into this problem.
I have jk shocks on my jeep. 2 inch in rear and 2.5 in fronts. I have to say that I think the rear need to be 3" minimum because I constantly keep bottoming out in the rear. When I go over the bumps.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by XJwonders
I have jk shocks on my jeep. 2 inch in rear and 2.5 in fronts. I have to say that I think the rear need to be 3" minimum because I constantly keep bottoming out in the rear. When I go over the bumps.
Thank you for posting this. This was my point where so jeepers say it works, some claim they not big enough for 3". Me personally they work great at 4.5" rear whilst using BPE.

I recommend doing the loft and then measuring and finding out the shocks compressed and extended lengths