Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.

Zj fan clutch

Old 04-24-2018, 05:14 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 826
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Zj fan clutch

Hayden 2737 Iíve herd is a good upgrade fan clutch anyone done it? I wanna put one In my 2000 xj.
fannitti is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 05:04 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern CT
Posts: 595
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Turbo 4.0
Default

I was going to go with a zj fan clutch but instead want with the napa oem replacement. I was so impressed now all 3 of the jeeps have one including the supercharged cherokee. It was the fix for the low speed overheating in my case. They are also loud.
Cummins93 is online now  
Old 04-25-2018, 05:49 AM
  #3  
Beach Bum
 
SteveMongr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cape Hatteras, North Carolina
Posts: 6,111
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

The main benefit I found from a HD fan clutch is being able to run AC at idle for as long as needed without coolant temperature creeping up. Also benefited when driving in deep sand which is slow speed with heavy load on motor and transmission.
SteveMongr is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 06:42 AM
  #4  
::CF Moderator::
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,987
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

Watch for radiator clearance and check your motor mounts. LOUD!!!
cruiser54 is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 03:39 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Santa Clarita California
Posts: 807
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default

I was wondering what year and engine does the zj fan clutch fit ? It would make it easier to order .
tech is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 04:16 PM
  #6  
CF Veteran
 
Tbone289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SEMO
Posts: 1,394
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L6
Default

The NAPA HD fan that everyone recommends is part #272310, and the application according to the NAPA website is 1994-2000 XJ w/2.5L 4 cylinder. Not a ZJ.


Last edited by Tbone289; 04-25-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Tbone289 is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 06:19 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
studmuffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 979
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

I did the napa zj swap. It's a tight fit so I'd make sure your motor mounts are in good shape. I've heard of guys whose fan has shredded the radiator. In my case I have brown dog motor mounts on my heep. The zj clutch fan works good but it is loud when accelerating. Almost like when a school bus is taking off from a turn that's how loud I'm not kidding.
studmuffin is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 07:44 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 826
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default

So what is a better option
fannitti is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 07:57 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
studmuffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 979
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by fannitti View Post
So what is a better option
Best option is to eliminate the mechanical fan completely and do an elecric 3 fan setup. If that' out of the budget the napa zj fan is a good choice. You will run cooler than stock.
studmuffin is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 08:29 PM
  #10  
CF Veteran
 
00t444e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Southern OH
Posts: 1,994
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by studmuffin View Post
Best option is to eliminate the mechanical fan completely and do an elecric 3 fan setup. If that' out of the budget the napa zj fan is a good choice. You will run cooler than stock.
That 3 fan electric setup won't pull as much air as the factory clutch fan, I have seen where people switched to the 3 fan setup and had overheating issues and went back to the mechanical fan. For the fan clutch upgrade the one for the 2.5 4cly is the one you want. The 4.0 ZJ had two different fan clutch options, standard and heavy duty. The standard fan clutch was the one that was the upgrade for the XJ 4.0 because the ZJ heavy duty fan clutch wouldn't fit. Now all of the auto parts stores only list the heavy duty fan clutch for the ZJ, which will not easily fit in the XJ. After doing some searching I believe the ZJ standard duty fan clutch, and the 2.5 4cly fan clutch are the same part.
00t444e is online now  
Old 04-25-2018, 09:59 PM
  #11  
CF Admin
 
Outlaw Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lantana, Fl
Posts: 33,674
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 2.9L Stroker
Default

I deleted my fan clutch for a direct drive hub like on the older CJs.
Outlaw Star is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 10:16 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Santa Clarita California
Posts: 807
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default

what fan did you use ? and how loud is it ?
tech is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 11:48 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
studmuffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 979
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by 00t444e View Post
That 3 fan electric setup won't pull as much air as the factory clutch fan, I have seen where people switched to the 3 fan setup and had overheating issues and went back to the mechanical fan. For the fan clutch upgrade the one for the 2.5 4cly is the one you want. The 4.0 ZJ had two different fan clutch options, standard and heavy duty. The standard fan clutch was the one that was the upgrade for the XJ 4.0 because the ZJ heavy duty fan clutch wouldn't fit. Now all of the auto parts stores only list the heavy duty fan clutch for the ZJ, which will not easily fit in the XJ. After doing some searching I believe the ZJ standard duty fan clutch, and the 2.5 4cly fan clutch are the same part.
4.0 runs hot yes but with enough cfm's coming from the fans it does work. I recommend looking into the 3 fan setup offered by Raffi over at k suspension. He sells a setup with a mounting plate and probe/controller. Everything you need for around $270. As far as the clutch fan yes you go with the standard zj not the HD. The HD is too big and you will have fitment issues.
studmuffin is offline  
Old 04-26-2018, 02:35 AM
  #14  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,171
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by studmuffin View Post
I did the napa zj swap. It's a tight fit so I'd make sure your motor mounts are in good shape. I've heard of guys whose fan has shredded the radiator. In my case I have brown dog motor mounts on my heep. The zj clutch fan works good but it is loud when accelerating. Almost like when a school bus is taking off from a turn that's how loud I'm not kidding.
I needed a new fan clutch and was considering the ZJ swap. I work at Napa. My boss, who is a car guy but not a Jeep guy, said that it would be loud and my gas mileage would most likely tank. He said I unless I was towing or having cooling problems to just stick with the stock one. Since I don't tow and was not having cooling problems, with the exception of the fan still spinning after the engine was shut off, I just went stock.
Ralph77 is online now  
Old 04-26-2018, 04:42 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
studmuffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 979
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
I needed a new fan clutch and was considering the ZJ swap. I work at Napa. My boss, who is a car guy but not a Jeep guy, said that it would be loud and my gas mileage would most likely tank. He said I unless I was towing or having cooling problems to just stick with the stock one. Since I don't tow and was not having cooling problems, with the exception of the fan still spinning after the engine was shut off, I just went stock.
Any car guy would tell you to stick with stock. A jeep guy would tell you to run something that will help a hot running 4.0 stay cooler especially if you wheel a lot at slow speeds thats when temps tend to rise above 220 and im in Arizona it gets hot here. I never go over 190 when I wheel but I also have the aux fan wired to a switch. As far as gas mileage tanking I wouldn't doubt it. But then again I'm running 33's on 3.55 gears. My jeep is daily capable but it's mostly a trail rig. My mileage is bad already but I'll take cooler temps over a few mpg 's any day. And by no means am I saying stock is inefficient but a zj clutch is an old upgrade with proven results.

Last edited by studmuffin; 04-26-2018 at 05:13 AM.
studmuffin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Zj fan clutch


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: