Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case removal Q's

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 01:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Transfer case removal Q's

So, i'm pretty far along with getting my T case removed, but had a few Q's along the way.

I've unbolted the front and rear driveshafts. I was kinda hoping that after unbolting them they'd just fall apart from each other. Apparently that's not the case. How do i split them after the bolts/ends are removed? Do i just smack it with a mallet from the side? (I saw that on a tutorial)

Also, how does one remove the 6 x 9/16" nuts that hold the T case to the trans?? There's practically no access to the top nut, even after lowering the transmission/T case. Any trick to this? Better yet, is there a trick to removing the T case nuts that are behind the shift linkage bracket on the driver's side (As in the thick metal plate with 2 access holes for the nuts)

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails Transfer case removal Q's-img-20140214-00146.jpg   Transfer case removal Q's-img-20140214-00149.jpg  
Old 02-15-2014, 03:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by gottarollwithit
So, i'm pretty far along with getting my T case removed, but had a few Q's along the way.

I've unbolted the front and rear driveshafts. I was kinda hoping that after unbolting them they'd just fall apart from each other. Apparently that's not the case. How do i split them after the bolts/ends are removed? Do i just smack it with a mallet from the side? (I saw that on a tutorial)

Also, how does one remove the 6 x 9/16" nuts that hold the T case to the trans?? There's practically no access to the top nut, even after lowering the transmission/T case. Any trick to this? Better yet, is there a trick to removing the T case nuts that are behind the shift linkage bracket on the driver's side (As in the thick metal plate with 2 access holes for the nuts)

Thanks!!
Make sure your wheels are chocked, take off the e brake and put it in neutral. Wiggle the jeep front to back a bit. Then start by pushing the rear driveshaft into the tcase gently, once the u joints pass the yoke on the diff slide it backwards out of the t case. Be ready, earlier model t cases will leak fluid from the case at the output shaft, it's normal. Take some masking tape and wrap the loose caps on the u joints in place, picking up needle bearings is not fun. For the front, it should be the same operation, there definitely won't be any fluid there though. Make sure you put the e brake back on after the shafts come out.

I can't say much more about pulling the cases, I'll be doing it tomorrow though, ill let you know if I find anything helpful.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

Stubby 9/16 wrench and 9/16 ratcheting wrench. I just did mine last weekend.

About the driveshafts, pull hard and use screwdriver between the yoke and u joint, and pry at the same time.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

I'm thinking that due to the difficulty of removing the T case from the trans, it's going to be easier to just install the SYE kit while the T case is still installed.
Is that what most people do?? There's plenty of room down there to take the T case cover off, kill the oil seal on the T case output flange, and remove the output flange. Dunno how i'm going to deal with the big front and rear driveshaft yoke nuts though.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Here is a video, That will give you a good idea how to do it. while t-case is still in jeep .The T-cast in the vid is 231

Last edited by Dumajones; 02-15-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a better video of the install while in the vehicle (close ups, socket/wrench sizes given). Courtesy of Teraflex:

Old 02-15-2014, 06:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

I always choose to uplift the carpet and cut a small hole in the transmission tunnel. turns a frustrating job into a few minutes of work. then replace the piece you cut out and throw in some caulk and slap the carpet back on there

something to consider
Old 02-15-2014, 08:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.slow

You could pick up a set of moon wrenches, get a cheap wrench and cut it half making it a stubby.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

I did this today no problem. I used a 9/16 ratchet wrench on most of them, on the passenger side uppers I used a ratchet and about 18" of extensions. At one point I had lowered everything as much as possible, though I could have done it without going super low.Only one of them gave me trouble. It was in a position so that I couldn't rotate my wrench without hitting something, so I tightened it a bit and it then came out no problem. Don't forget to remove the transmission mount and exhaust hangar, there's one under there. Ill be doing a hack n tap once it's back in, gotta wait for a clocking jig first.

Good luck!