Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transfer Case Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Transfer Case Help

about a week ago I was driving my jeep and I noticed a clicking/popping noise coming from underneath my rear floorboards right in front of the rear seats. it only happened every now and then and wasn't that consistent so I shook it off as just some weird incident. today I drove it and it was much worse and only happened upon giving it gas or putting a load on it, I made it to my friends house and we then proceeded to check my transfer case fluid. as far as we could get our fingers in was dry. so we filled it up with some fluid and I drove it up the street and back. the clicking/popping noise isn't as bad as it was, but it is definitely still there. I figure it is either a broken tooth or a loose chain, but I would really like a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and so on amount of other opinions.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by eepjeep
about a week ago I was driving my jeep and I noticed a clicking/popping noise coming from underneath my rear floorboards right in front of the rear seats. it only happened every now and then and wasn't that consistent so I shook it off as just some weird incident. today I drove it and it was much worse and only happened upon giving it gas or putting a load on it, I made it to my friends house and we then proceeded to check my transfer case fluid. as far as we could get our fingers in was dry. so we filled it up with some fluid and I drove it up the street and back. the clicking/popping noise isn't as bad as it was, but it is definitely still there. I figure it is either a broken tooth or a loose chain, but I would really like a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and so on amount of other opinions.
when it went dry like that the fluid that was left burned up dry to all the moving parts basicly varnish
I dont know of any treatment u can use. But your chain is stretched now for sure.

Last edited by Fireball2020; 04-06-2020 at 03:25 PM.