Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering too quick

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Steering too quick

Recently purchased a 91 Cherokee with a 3 inch lift and 31 inch tires. Steering was too erratic/loose to be safe. (Mfr of the lift kit unknown)
Had it checked out by a well known Off Road store and they made a few adjustments and repairs which improved the situation a lot.
The only problem now is that the steering is way too responsive. The slightest movement of the steering wheel results in an immediate turn in that direction.
I am thinking that a shorter pitman arm (shorter arm would equal less travel for the same amount of steering wheel revolution)might help dampen the steering reaction
Am I on the right track and does anyone make a shorter pitman arm for the Cherokee?
Old 12-02-2015, 05:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Never heard of a shorter pitman arm. I'm sure you could fab one up but I'll bet money that isn't your problem (strange "problem" to have if you ask me). What's your tire pressure at?
Old 12-02-2015, 05:28 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: stock I6

You have some other type of problem that needs to be addressed. Be it alignment or caster or something else. Get a second opinion.

Perhaps a different shop than the one that solved erratic/loose steering with adjustments.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:14 AM

Thanks for the inputs. I could probably live with the problem but it is not comkfortable to drive on rough or uneven pavement. Are you suggesting lower tire pressure. will check mine when it's daylight in California.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by Denver9
Thanks for the inputs. I could probably live with the problem but it is not comkfortable to drive on rough or uneven pavement. Are you suggesting lower tire pressure. will check mine when it's daylight in California.
Check your tire pressure when it's still dark and sitting for a few hours.

Also you need to tell us what adjusts they made. Was it Av alignment only. Just change TRE. They may have set caster wrong.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:37 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Too much toe-in can also cause jeep to 'dart' left or right.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98

I doubt the shop made tightened your steering gear, but you can pull the air intake/filter box and look to find out. there is an adjustment on the steering gear that can tighten or loosen the gear and how it responds. if they over tightened it, the gear will wear out sooner than normal. and could cause the issues you describe. although the alignment issues sounds more likely but could be the gear. the adjustment is right on top of the gear
Old 12-02-2015, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by denverd1
I doubt the shop made tightened your steering gear, but you can pull the air intake/filter box and look to find out. there is an adjustment on the steering gear that can tighten or loosen the gear and how it responds. if they over tightened it, the gear will wear out sooner than normal. and could cause the issues you describe. although the alignment issues sounds more likely but could be the gear. the adjustment is right on top of the gear
That wouldn't cause darting. When you tighten too far the steering gets really heavy.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by denverd1

That is an adjustment that should ONLY be made by someone with experience period and most remove it and place it on a bench to do so.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:37 PM

Default steering too quick

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
Too much toe-in can also cause jeep to 'dart' left or right.
There were no "Adjustments" made just some of the linkage was loose and tightened. I don't know what brand if any My lift was done with. however, a fellow shade tree mechanic said it looked like the original lower control arms were used which were not long enough to adjust caster.
Took it back to the shop and was charged almost $400 to change lower control arms and realignment to add caster.
Got the vehicle back and cannot tell any improvement in the quick steering.
I did notice that the toe-in was set to Zero (0.000).
My many years experience of do it yourself repairs on Jeep CJ's taught me you need SOME toe-in or you would get erratic steering/tracking. With the CJ I set toe - in at between .06 and .093 (1/16 to 3/32) and it worked fine.
What is your feeling on the importance of toe - in and how
much should it be for a Cherokee with 3 inch lift.?
-Denver
Old 12-17-2015, 07:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994

need more caster did the shop that did the last alingment give you a printout ? post it up for us to read
Old 12-18-2015, 10:52 AM

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by Denver9
Thanks for the inputs. I could probably live with the problem but it is not comkfortable to drive on rough or uneven pavement. Are you suggesting lower tire pressure.
sounds a lot like "bump steer" to me. if the steering is fine on even payment but darts when you hit a "bump" well then maybe that is your real problem.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by tinytrax78
need more caster did the shop that did the last alingment give you a printout ? post it up for us to read
I scanned a PDF copy of it but don't know how to post it here. Instructions please and I would be happy to do that.
-Denver