Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3inch lift ?s

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 3inch lift ?s

So I just got my jeep back from the shop (2000 xj 4.0 auto) and they lifted it 3 inches for me. They didn't do the tcase drop because they said they couldn't get the bolts out and now I feel vibes, is this bad? I'm gonna fix it but is it an asap fix? Also a grinding coming from back and a bad smell from back after driving.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by shadowmoses
So I just got my jeep back from the shop (2000 xj 4.0 auto) and they lifted it 3 inches for me. They didn't do the tcase drop because they said they couldn't get the bolts out and now I feel vibes, is this bad? I'm gonna fix it but is it an asap fix? Also a grinding coming from back and a bad smell from back after driving.
What's the smell smell like. Where does the "grinding" sound like its coming from, such as the rear diff, driveshaft etc.

Driveshaft vibes should be taken care of pretty quickly. Who's lift did you do and what came in it.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by brendancfarrell
What's the smell smell like. Where does the "grinding" sound like its coming from, such as the rear diff, driveshaft etc. Driveshaft vibes should be taken care of pretty quickly. Who's lift did you do and what came in it.
it's more of a screeching type noise like metal scraping metal sounds kinda like its coming from breaks. And idk what the smell smells like. I got a rough country 3 inch. The advanced kit, it came with everything I needed and I also got the tcase drop (which they didn't install) but is it like dangerous to drive with vibes, I've heard of people driving with them for awhile with no problems
Old 11-11-2015, 03:46 PM

It only seems to screech/grind when I'm slowing down
Old 11-11-2015, 03:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Well, if you already have the drop, I don't see why you shouldn't put it in...

And if it sounds like the rear drums, pull the rear tires off, pull the drum off and take a look at your pads. When was the last time you did your brakes?

I can't really help with the smell since the internet cannot pass on smells. Take a look at the diff to see if that's leaking, could be brake fluid from when they did the leafs, grease, lots of stuff. Look for leaks.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:51 PM
Seasoned Member

It only seems to screech/grind when I'm slowing down
Rear brake pads probably got contaminated with a fluid, or are low.

If they got contaminated, that could be the smell.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:24 PM

Well, if you already have the drop, I don't see why you shouldn't put it in... And if it sounds like the rear drums, pull the rear tires off, pull the drum off and take a look at your pads. When was the last time you did your brakes? I can't really help with the smell since the internet cannot pass on smells. Take a look at the diff to see if that's leaking, could be brake fluid from when they did the leafs, grease, lots of stuff. Look for leaks.
they checked the breaks in the shop and said they were fine. They did say they adjusted them and now my breaking is way better, maybe it's from when they adjusted them
Old 11-11-2015, 07:45 PM

My dad came to the conclusion that when they adjusted my back brakes they adjusted them to much cause when you drive there's a slight drag like they are slightly engaged so that's what's probably causing the noise and smell
Old 11-11-2015, 09:04 PM
Seasoned Member

My dad came to the conclusion that when they adjusted my back brakes they adjusted them to much cause when you drive there's a slight drag like they are slightly engaged so that's what's probably causing the noise and smell
That was gonna be my next theory. Just can't be on here during my class.

Hope it gets fixed
Old 11-11-2015, 09:24 PM

That was gonna be my next theory. Just can't be on here during my class. Hope it gets fixed
bringing it back tomorrow so they can fix it really quick
Old 11-12-2015, 12:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Was this a 4x4 shop that did this install? From what your saying makes me wonder about a lot of things one not being able to remove those 2 bolts for the drop kit and not knowing the way to adj drum brakes properly.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:05 PM
Seasoned Member

What shop has employees that don't know how to adjust drums. It's a star wheel and springs... Makes me wonder if it was actually a shop.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:57 PM

I brought it back and they drive it and explained what's happening. They said it should stop within a day or 2 and if not to bring it back
Old 11-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Seasoned Member

I brought it back and they drive it and explained what's happening. They said it should stop within a day or 2 and if not to bring it back
That's because if the rear drums are over tightened, the pads will wear prematurely because of the constant contact with the drum.

You need to find a new shop. This one does not sound like a good place. I wouldn't trust a thing they do to any vehicle.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:13 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

That's because if the rear drums are over tightened, the pads will wear prematurely because of the constant contact with the drum.

You need to find a new shop. This one does not sound like a good place. I wouldn't trust a thing they do to any vehicle.
I agree with this. It's not hard to correct this. Just need to pop the drum off and dial back the adjuster.
Also, I had the same problem with not being able to get the transmission crossmemeber off. Get a SYE for your tcase, it's the right way to go.

Quick Reply: 3inch lift ?s