Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locker Suggestion DD

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Default Locker Suggestion DD

So my next mod is lockers, I've pretty much finished all my armor and lift so this is the next logical step. Because this is a DD and my wife uses it frequently I'd like something that works best for our application. We're on 3.5' of lift, 31's, D30 and 8.25 diffs. I wont do heavy rocks/mud but want the capability to go most places, right now we do Uwharrie and overlanding. I'll also loop a regear in this to 4.10's. I don't care to change the axles and am not worried about cost (within reason) as I'd rather do it right and best for our fit.

Thinking an ARB selectable for the D30 and a Detroit Truetrac for the rear. I think the LSD rear would give us the all weather street capability while helping off road and the ARB to help if things get really sticky offroad. Anyone care to offer opinions, questions or thoughts?

Here's where we are at today, fix for the flares coming.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Sounds like a pretty solid plan to me. Both are proven options with a strong history. Your reasoning on wanting LSD in rear and locker in front is also pretty sound and that gear driven LSD is good stuff.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I have Spartans and they work good, but if you use it to drive in the snow, a lot then a selectable or Truetrac in the front, would be a better option. An auto locker in the front is manageable in the snow but it does handle different. My other 2 trucks have auto lockers in the rear and open front differentials and they are great in the snow.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Part of my confusion is, I see folks recommending the Truetrac up front and ARB in the rear. I get this but wouldn't I rather have the Truetrac in the rear where it's always working 2wd or 4wd? Seems like I'd rather have the LSD in a position where it's always helping.

Tough thing is I've read these TT's suck in the snow/ice which sounds counter-intuitive to anything I've read about an LSD.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:13 PM

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ih8cornnuts
Part of my confusion is, I see folks recommending the Truetrac up front and ARB in the rear. I get this but wouldn't I rather have the Truetrac in the rear where it's always working 2wd or 4wd? Seems like I'd rather have the LSD in a position where it's always helping.

Tough thing is I've read these TT's suck in the snow/ice which sounds counter-intuitive to anything I've read about an LSD.

I think your spot on for how you are going to use your XJ. If you where a little more into rock crawling I would say auto locker for the front and selectable for the rear, giving you the option to be fully locked but some better manners on the street and light trails. But for overlanding and hitting moderate trails to have an open front and LSD rear would be mint for snow and light trails and then having the selectable front there to pull you over the rocks and through the gnarly stuff it a perfect combo.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999

I've driven my Cherokee a few times in the snow with a lunch box (power trax no slip) Locker. I didn't have any issue with it. I have a selectable Locker in the front. I would suggest ox lockers over arb lockers since the design of arbs cause premature seal failure which results in pressurizing the housing. Auburn makes a Locker that is selectable and when it is unlocked it is a limited slip. They don't make one for the 8.25 though so it would only be an option for the front. If that sort of thing would interest you. Personally if I had the cash I would do ox lockers front and rear and choose your method of locking (they have a cable actuator, air actuator, and electric actuator I believe) that way you can have open or locked whenever you want it. Before the selectable in the front of my Cherokee I had a true trac and was not a fan. It would load up funky and made it harder to steer in 4wd. I drove around without a rear driveshaft for a while when I was waiting on a custom shaft and the true trac would let one tire spin and then the other tire would violently grab traction. I'm not sure if it's because of it only pulling in the front or what it was, but I didn't like it. That was kind of long and there was some rambling, but I hope something of that will help with a decision.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997

If you are using it on the street then an auto locker or Truetrac in the rear would make more sense. I would never put a selectable locker in the rear because like you said it would be no help on the street. A Truetrac does great in the snow as well.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Which is why my spartan is in the rear axle....
Old 12-05-2018, 05:47 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 5.3

I have TrueTracs front and rear in my XJ. It is fantastic as a daily driver and it does really well in mixed snow/ice/dry conditions, all the way up to really deep snow. It also does great on moderate to difficult trails though I don't take it on the seriously difficult trails, and forget about the extreme stuff. It's also great on dry pavement. I never notice the limited slip in the front.

I have selectable lockers in my JK and my J10 pickup. The JK is mostly a trail rig so that's how I use it. But the truck is also a driver and doesn't see much trail use. It's pretty well a monster in the snow as well. I drive with the lockers open until I find myself in a situation where I'm getting excessive wheel spin. A flick of the switch (or two) and I'm moving again. And then once I'm through the bad patch, I just flick the switch(es) off.

For snow driving alone, I'm not sure I'd spend the money on selectable lockers at all.

If you take serious trails and/or you're out well away from anyone who can come and help you out of a good stuck, selectable lockers would be my choice. The traction you get from a full time selectable locker can't be beat. The Jeep will still do well in the snow and you have the benefit of being able to flip a switch or two and get the traction you need when straight 4HI doesn't cut it.

But whatever you do, don't waste money on an Auburn ECTED. I had one and regret throwing away that money all day every day. It never really locked and the limited slip stopped limiting slip within a year of installing it. An E-Locker now sits in its place.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:56 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by derf
I have TrueTracs front and rear in my XJ. It is fantastic as a daily driver and it does really well in mixed snow/ice/dry conditions, all the way up to really deep snow. It also does great on moderate to difficult trails though I don't take it on the seriously difficult trails, and forget about the extreme stuff. It's also great on dry pavement. I never notice the limited slip in the front.

I have selectable lockers in my JK and my J10 pickup. The JK is mostly a trail rig so that's how I use it. But the truck is also a driver and doesn't see much trail use. It's pretty well a monster in the snow as well. I drive with the lockers open until I find myself in a situation where I'm getting excessive wheel spin. A flick of the switch (or two) and I'm moving again. And then once I'm through the bad patch, I just flick the switch(es) off.

For snow driving alone, I'm not sure I'd spend the money on selectable lockers at all.

If you take serious trails and/or you're out well away from anyone who can come and help you out of a good stuck, selectable lockers would be my choice. The traction you get from a full time selectable locker can't be beat. The Jeep will still do well in the snow and you have the benefit of being able to flip a switch or two and get the traction you need when straight 4HI doesn't cut it.

But whatever you do, don't waste money on an Auburn ECTED. I had one and regret throwing away that money all day every day. It never really locked and the limited slip stopped limiting slip within a year of installing it. An E-Locker now sits in its place.

This^^^. truTrak front and rear.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

for your uses....trutrac front and rear
Old 12-06-2018, 05:24 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts