Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hear me out

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Hear me out

I know Jeeps aren't made for the street and get real cranky and shaky when you go into high speeds, but just hear this.. I know they aren't that fast.. but I live in the Middle East and SUV's racing on the street are a heaven for us, I race land cruisers and nissan patrols all the time.. I actually beat a lot of them.. they always under estimate my torque Jeep.. but due to the speed limiter I had to re tune it with an air filter and headers.. I get max 242 kph, but I'm bored racing almost stock suv's (we race at the same level as in only filter and headers with or without a tune) as I often get smoked by 5.6 nissan patrol strokers and these fanboys telling me they're almost stock (lmao) and don't get me started about land cruisers.. for some reason arabs love sand bagging, I raced a turbo nissan patrol once and he spanked the **** out of me and waited for him to park so I could talk to him and only for him to tell me it had some "head work" done to it. You see where I'm going with this? Anyways my Jeep is about 178 hp 217 torque with a set of long tube headers and a true heat shielded ram intake ( air filter ) tuned by a unichip q+ by a great tuner, but I need to get to the 250 hp without stroking the motor, I will eventually put a 50 wet shot of nitrous, but for now I wanna get my head ported with a high rpm cam, springs, valves, roller rockers, ported 99+ intake and a ported Throttle body.. I wanna know how much will it make? The garage that's doing all of this work for me has a 970 hp Jeep Cherokee xjwhich he beat a Lamborghini Aventador with.. stroked, procharged and a 150 shot of nitrous, it's 2 inches lowered with semi slicks running all wheel drive, he told me I can easily get it to 300hp with all of my spices with the good old c16 race gas, as this is the oldest and the most experienced forum on Cherokees, I ask is it doable? 270-250 hp range would be perfect for the street with a set of 900 street tyres, as I can beat stroked patrols and land cruisers with the benefit of the weight.. I drive a 1998 2wd 2door manual Cherokee. (P.S. I do not want to stroke the motor as i want the reliability to stay even tho he told me it was cheap and will get me to 300 easily) and no any kind of boost and no nitrous till later as I want to pass emissions and don't wanna work the hassle of removing everything when the time for inspection comes) thanks.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:49 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Ain't happening if you don't do a stroker.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

I would look at the Edelbrock head that is made for the 4.0L motor that head and a set of roller rocker arms should give you a good power increase and lighten the jeep a little . then maybe a new cam .
Old 06-11-2018, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by tech
I would look at the Edelbrock head that is made for the 4.0L motor that head and a set of roller rocker arms should give you a good power increase and lighten the jeep a little . then maybe a new cam .

that head is 1700$ which is almost the cost of what I am planning to do which is out of the question.. and by lighten her up abit.. are you talking about the cylinder head "waking her up" or actually put the Jeep on a diet?

lol I'm not gunna pay almost 6000 dhs (which is a lot) for a cylinder head.. I have a budget of 1500$.. 200$ for the head porting, a good set of springs (yet to be chosen I guess I'll get them shipped after I find the perfect specs) roller rocker arms ( in your opinion what are the best? By brand I mean)

cam+springs+roller rocker arms+head ports done+intake ported+headers+300cc injectors+msd ignition coil pack= 220 hp wheel maybe? Hopefully looking for higher..

and as for stroking it... do any company give warranties on their stroker kits? And are there any reliable options without breaking the bank? Cause I am willing to spend more than just 1500$ if stroking it has to get me to the 250-300 range..
sorry for the hassle.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Ain't happening if you don't do a stroker.

i realize the AMC heads are **** and so I've been taught a lot with bad experiences with 00-01's, but it's generally actually that hard to get hp out of the motor?

damn I actually got my hopes up.. as in "I'll just make the head work compatible with the engine" and it should do the trick..
Old 06-12-2018, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by alnahdi27

i realize the AMC heads are **** and so I've been taught a lot with bad experiences with 00-01's, but it's generally actually that hard to get hp out of the motor?

damn I actually got my hopes up.. as in "I'll just make the head work compatible with the engine" and it should do the trick..
The AMC heads are fine. The only real head problems were the 00 and 01 which were flawed castings. And Chrysler was in charge of the 00 and 01 heads. They bought AMC in 1987.

Contact Hesco, Golen and see what they have to say. I know they offer warranties, but not likely to cover racing.

Or, build a "poor man's stroker".
Old 06-12-2018, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Where in the Middle East are you? I have been doing a bunch of work in Bahrain lately. Have really enjoyed it, other than the heat/humidity. Nice people.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:38 PM

The AMC heads are fine. The only real head problems were the 00 and 01 which were flawed castings. And Chrysler was in charge of the 00 and 01 heads. They bought AMC in 1987.

Contact Hesco, Golen and see what they have to say. I know they offer warranties, but not likely to cover racing.

Or, build a "poor man's stroker".

No I didn't mean as in "**** they aren't reliable"... **** as in they don't flow anywhere near efficient, and yes you're rigght.

a poor mans stroker should be unreliable as I suppose? And not pass emissions as we have really huge problems with those...

I have been hearing about hesco all over the forums.. looks like they are actually up to par with I imagine them to be, all I'm looking for is quality, Thank you for the reference, feel free to suggest reliable "poor mans strokers" (:
Old 06-12-2018, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by bad_idea
Where in the Middle East are you? I have been doing a bunch of work in Bahrain lately. Have really enjoyed it, other than the heat/humidity. Nice people.

UAE, and yes Bahrainis are awesome...

the heat problem in the Middle East is easily by passed if you just don't go out in the summer lol... other than that you're fine.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I was there in July and August of last year, it was brutal. I was there in January and it was great.

Sorry to go off on the tangent. Good luck with your build. Post up some pics with it in action.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:54 AM

The heads flow fine. All that HO stuff is bunk. Those heads are not much better at all, and only in the high RPM range if that.

What is unreliable about the poor man's stroker?

click the link below. This guy built his in your neighborhood.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/stroker.html
Old 06-13-2018, 07:36 PM

The final product

And yes we are Jeepers, no matter what the heart of it is, if it's a Jeep it's good enough.
Originally Posted by bad_idea
I was there in July and August of last year, it was brutal. I was there in January and it was great.

Sorry to go off on the tangent. Good luck with your build. Post up some pics with it in action.

No no no it's all good, it's a small world and im glad knowing someone out there met our hospitality, arabs are the same when it comes to guests no matter if they're foreigners or locals.

anyways there's no need to take pictures of my Jeep, as it's full bot ons so I don't see a reason to post, but whenever I start porting I'll revive this post, anyways here's a picture of a project I'm working on with my friends.. a 600 hp 2jz Cherokee
Old 06-13-2018, 07:41 PM

We're working on another supercharged 4.0, we're using a supercharger from 2004 jaguar, forgot what the sc is called but I'm guessing a m112 with lowered compression we're hoping for high hp at 400-450 hp, but we'll see when we finish, the 2jz project is finished it's actually making less than it's supposed to make because of the stock cam and underrated injectors, getting a set of 1000's soon, I'll keep you updated..
Old 06-13-2018, 07:45 PM

The heads flow fine. All that HO stuff is bunk. Those heads are not much better at all, and only in the high RPM range if that.

What is unreliable about the poor man's stroker?

click the link below. This guy built his in your neighborhood.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/stroker.html

oh, 235hp? That sounds great, but I'm not lookin for torque I'm looking for hp, this guy has 268 ft lbs at 5200?, Is it possible to reach 6500 RPM and 250 hp with a huge street cam and a high flow oil pump(ofcourse with the head ported and all of the bolt ons)? Just making sure I got my knowledge straight, I know I'm gunna lose torque but as long as I'm not gunna lose more than 35-40 torque then it's all good, I like high engine speed and the Jeep sounds awesome at high revs, not too ricey but not too growdy(:.