Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumpstop/Shock Length Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Bumpstop/Shock Length Help

Hey everybody. I have been looking and searching and can’t for the life of me figure out the bumpstop length and shock length thing. I don’t do any extreme trail riding but do take my Jeep off-road a lot for hunting and camping reasons. I’d like to get the right bumpstop and shock length for my setup. My XJ sits on 33” tires with 3” lift with cutout fender flares. I need new shocks and would like to order the length that would work best. Like I said, I’m not a trail rider but would like to take advantage of as much flex as I can while keeping a low center of gravity for the places I do go into. If anyone can pony me in the right direction for figuring this out or what they run with a similar setup it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Look at post #5 in the link:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/sh...suring-130806/

Once you have determined that you can determine what length bump stops you need to prevent damage.

A tape measure and your eye are all you really need. Oh, and something solid to flex it on (ramp, loading dock, forklift). Please, do not use concrete blocks or anything unstable.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 MPI "Power Tech HO"

As for what size bump stop, I was having issues with rubbing with 33" and about a 3.5" lift. I bought a pack of used hockey pucks, and added them and tested for effect.
If you already have a hole threaded in the lower perch you just drill a hole in the center of the pucks, and force them in between the springs to add until you have enough. Too much and you can remove a puck.
It is nice to be able to change the bump stop height without having to remove the springs, safer too.
Try to counter sink the bolt in the top puck.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0

You'll have to flex it out with the shocks disconnected to get the right measurements for both the shocks and bumpstops. Each setup is different.