Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 aw4 into an 88 with ba-10/5 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 09:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 89 aw4 into an 88 with ba-10/5 swap

Ok. I got a 89 cherokee with aw4 and np242 behind the 4.0 that I picked up as a parts jeep.

The jeep I already own is an 88 cherokee with a ba-10/5 and an np 231 behind the 4.0

I want to swap the aw4 into my 88 for obvious reasons (like the Peugeot was eating itself alive) and was hoping for some tips. Sticking with the 231 since it works, has more aftermarket support, and I'm pretty sure the 242j is trashed anyway.

The 88 is completely stripped

Both should be 21 spline correct?

What kind of fitment issues am I going to have?
Shaft length difference?
I swapped in a Chrysler 8.25 a few years ago and never changed drive shafts, can't remember if that widened the gap between yoke and t-case or shortened it.
Do I need to swap computers as well?

All tips are greatly appreciated in advance.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:07 PM

Maybe i should have posted in modified tech?
Old 11-20-2015, 08:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989

You will need the auto shafts. Also...
Trans wiring, trans ecu, cables, shifter assy and plate, column, petals, and plate for between engine and trans.
There are obvious parts I left out of the list in hopes that you know you would need them. Some xjs come half wired for the auto. Some don't. You might need the entire harness.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:09 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by tonytwotimes
Ok. I got a 89 cherokee with aw4 and np242 behind the 4.0 that I picked up as a parts jeep.

The jeep I already own is an 88 cherokee with a ba-10/5 and an np 231 behind the 4.0

I want to swap the aw4 into my 88 for obvious reasons (like the Peugeot was eating itself alive) and was hoping for some tips. Sticking with the 231 since it works, has more aftermarket support, and I'm pretty sure the 242j is trashed anyway.

The 88 is completely stripped

Both should be 21 spline correct?

What kind of fitment issues am I going to have?
Shaft length difference?
I swapped in a Chrysler 8.25 a few years ago and never changed drive shafts, can't remember if that widened the gap between yoke and t-case or shortened it.
Do I need to swap computers as well?

All tips are greatly appreciated in advance.
Yes, they should both be 21 spline.

As for engine computers, swap them. The 89 made more horsepower anyway. not totally necessary but a good idea.

Paradise XJ has done this swap successfully. Perhaps he'll chime in.

And yes, I'm moving this to Modified Tech.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After months (yes, really months) of screwing with the wiring, I finally went and pulled an engine bay wiring harness from the junkyard from an automatic equipped 1989/1990 XJ...because the wiring for an AW4 isn't the same in a BA-10. I also took the TCU. Remember that the male part of the TCU wiring (the new harness you'll need) has to be the same color as the female connector on the TCU. If not, you'll wonder why you're not getting any voltage to the TPS.

You'll also need to have the plugs for AW4. They just don't exist in a Jeep with a BA-10.

You also might have an issue with the flexplate to engine bolts. The flywheel is thick, the flexplate is thin. So flywheel to crank bolts are longer than flexplate to crank bolts. Get new bolts. Also, get the right flexplate. Also, my biggest issue after the swap was that I had 3.07 gears...I needed to go down in tire size until I regeared because it was the gutless wonder with 31's on there, so either regear to 4.1o's to get that pep back.

When I did it, the donor was a 94 AW4 so there were a few things I had to work out that you won't have to deal with. I'm NO master mechanic, but if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by ParadiseXJ
After months (yes, really months) of screwing with the wiring, I finally went and pulled an engine bay wiring harness from the junkyard from an automatic equipped 1989/1990 XJ...because the wiring for an AW4 isn't the same in a BA-10. I also took the TCU. Remember that the male part of the TCU wiring (the new harness you'll need) has to be the same color as the female connector on the TCU. If not, you'll wonder why you're not getting any voltage to the TPS.

You'll also need to have the plugs for AW4. They just don't exist in a Jeep with a BA-10.

You also might have an issue with the flexplate to engine bolts. The flywheel is thick, the flexplate is thin. So flywheel to crank bolts are longer than flexplate to crank bolts. Get new bolts. Also, get the right flexplate. Also, my biggest issue after the swap was that I had 3.07 gears...I needed to go down in tire size until I regeared because it was the gutless wonder with 31's on there, so either regear to 4.1o's to get that pep back.

When I did it, the donor was a 94 AW4 so there were a few things I had to work out that you won't have to deal with. I'm NO master mechanic, but if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
This is great. Just what I was looking for. I appreciate all the feedback from you guys.

The jeep is stripped completely so I'll just start fresh with the whole harness from the donor (since it appears to be in better shape anyway)

I may end up swapping axles anyway so the regear may wait.

Thanks again
Old 09-01-2021, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by tonytwotimes
This is great. Just what I was looking for. I appreciate all the feedback from you guys.

The jeep is stripped completely so I'll just start fresh with the whole harness from the donor (since it appears to be in better shape anyway)

I may end up swapping axles anyway so the regear may wait.

Thanks again
I am currently in the process of doing a swap from the peugeot ba10/5 to a 1994 aw4. ParadiseXJ do you remember what wires you had to splice into with the harness from the 1994 to the 1988