Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00-01 Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2020
Default 00-01 Exhaust Question

Hi, From what I understand Only newer Model Cherokees have this. It looks like I have 3 Cats on my exhaust. I believe its a California emissions package I found a local shop that said they would remove the last one because as long as I'm still running a cat its legal, ill actually have 2. My questions comes in will it show a CEL? its a DD and I need it to pass emissions only the 2 up front have censors on them. This shouldn't cause it to notice anything different correct? how would the computer know that the muffler I changed didn't increase the extra flow? Thanks
Old 03-25-2016, 03:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 01
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Puffmanny
Hi, From what I understand Only newer Model Cherokees have this. It looks like I have 3 Cats on my exhaust. I believe its a California emissions package I found a local shop that said they would remove the last one because as long as I'm still running a cat its legal, ill actually have 2. My questions comes in will it show a CEL? its a DD and I need it to pass emissions only the 2 up front have censors on them. This shouldn't cause it to notice anything different correct? how would the computer know that the muffler I changed didn't increase the extra flow? Thanks
Technically, yes, only the two upstream cats have sensors but your downstream still serves a purpose. I doubt you'll throw a code but the downstream cat still reduces tailpipe emissions so their bung that they stick in your tailpipe could very well read that your jeep isn't reaching catalyst efficiency. Honestly, a high flow cat doesn't affect performance in anything but a marginal way. If you're needing to pass an emissions test, I'd either leave your stock cat or get a new high flow.