Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Correct size for front swaybar link?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Correct size for front swaybar link?

Hi Everyone,

I need to replace the front swaybar links, and I'm trying to figure out what size I'll need. It's a 98 Sport, and it does have a Rubicon express lift from previous owner, something between 2 an 3".

The parts I'm looking at online are all over the place, even at Quadratec. Some list the sizes, some don't, some are in mm, some are in inches...just wondering if it really makes a difference here, and if I need to go with the exact size that's on there now.

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2016, 10:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by XJ9884
Hi Everyone,

I need to replace the front swaybar links, and I'm trying to figure out what size I'll need. It's a 98 Sport, and it does have a Rubicon express lift from previous owner, something between 2 an 3".

The parts I'm looking at online are all over the place, even at Quadratec. Some list the sizes, some don't, some are in mm, some are in inches...just wondering if it really makes a difference here, and if I need to go with the exact size that's on there now.

Thanks!
Does it have a sway bar drop bracket installed with the lift? If it does then stock length should be fine. These would be whatever you get from Advance auto, autozone, etc.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:52 AM

Good question; I'll have to crawl underneath and take a look to confirm, but from memory, I'm 90% sure there are no drop brackets installed.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:48 PM

Just to recap, I finished this job last night and it went surprisingly quickly. Probably about an hour fifteen total once I figured out what I was doing to do both sides and the frame bushings.

There was no extension bracket/it was just the stock swaybar and links.

Replaced them with Moog links from Advanced Auto (30% off coupon, got both sides for 40 bucks total). I would have preferred quick disconnects, but at that price for both I really can't complain. Thankfully they both matched stock size.

I've read some instructions referenced a pickle fork or pittman arm puller, but thankfully for my model (98 sport) all I had to do was loosen the top nut, remove the 19mm bolt that threaded onto the toque head bolt, and whack the link off and call it a day.

The links both slipped onto the threaded toque bolt perfectly once I figured out the smart way to do it was just to loosen the frame bushing brackets and let the whole bar swing down...before that I spent a while cursing as I tried to push the sway bar up that final centimeter to get the bracket to slip onto the bolt. Ended up just removing the bar completely to install the frame bracket bushings, and it went back in just as easy, so for anyone out looking to do this job I'd say just remove the whole thing from the start.

As always, PB Blaster, a torch, and a breaker bar were my best friend...and I can once again thank the Jeep gods they all came off without stripping or breaking.