Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Thinking of getting back in the game

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Thinking of getting back in the game

Almost a year ago, I traded in my 99xj for a 13jku. After a year, I've put 20k mi on my "new" wrangler and am looking for a 2nd, inexpensive vehicle to keep the mileage down. I'm still paying for the wrangler, and will for some time, so I've been playing the craigslist game searching for a diamond in the rough (warning: 0 mechanical experience, and I live in an apartment complex so I can't really do any work there even if I had the know how)

I used this forum consistently with my old xl, and am asking for help identifying the right jeep to make an offer on. For this thread I'm thinking I will post the ad, and the peanut galler can have at it. Worst case, someone in the northeast sees some good finds on here.

What I'm looking for:
Jeep Cherokee xj, 1997-2001, or grand Cherokee of any year, with no frame rust or major physical/mechanical flaws. Would prefer mileage under 150k, but mileage is all relative on care taken by p.o. Price range is up to $1500, maybe $2k if I find the perfect vehicle and have saved enough by the time I can pull the trigger. Willing to travel to NJ, NY (LI, Albany area, NYC), and CT.

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds, and hopefully with your help I can find the right rig!
Old 11-17-2015, 03:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Good luck, but I hope you at least have access to a garage to occasionally wrench on an XJ. They aren't getting any younger, and stuff breaks.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:22 AM

Here is the first decent option I have found. 98 XJ, 121k, 2wd. Owner says that he has replaced the catalytic converter and muffler since he purchased it in the spring. There is an electric issue, which his mechanic thinks is an aftermarket radio draining the battery. The Jeep is also throwing a P1899 code, but some research on here says that cleaning the NSS should do the job, which I could attempt. The body and interior seem to be in great shape, which bodes well for the underbody. He's asking 1K, but I dont think I'd pay that much with the risk of major electrical issues, and the NSS being a bigger problem

Old 11-18-2015, 07:23 AM

Original listing from Clist:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/5311117062.html
Old 11-18-2015, 08:06 AM

Next is a 96 Grand Cherokee, 118k, asking $1600
Listed Recent maintenance as:
New tires
New battery
All new fluids
New exhaust
New brakes
Fresh tune up
New air filter
New distributer
New wires and plugs
New belts
New alternator
New ignition coil

Have not contacted owner yet for more info. Original listing here:

http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/5320741290.html

Old 11-18-2015, 08:09 AM

Finally a 99 GC, 123k, asking $2900. No list of recent service. Have not contacted owner for more information.
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5291278947.html

Also, if anyone has any insight on what to ask to help identify issues, feel free to share. I remember some of the common issues from my old XJ, but some of you may have more experience and may know how to ask (ie, does the muffler rattle when idle, any oil leaks or drips, knocks and noises to ask about, etc.)
Old 11-18-2015, 03:01 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by BlueSteel
What I'm looking for:
Jeep Cherokee xj, 1997-2001, or grand Cherokee of any year, with no frame rust or major physical/mechanical flaws. Would prefer mileage under 150k, but mileage is all relative on care taken by p.o. Price range is up to $1500, maybe $2k if I find the perfect vehicle and have saved enough by the time I can pull the trigger. Willing to travel to NJ, NY (LI, Albany area, NYC), and CT.
After looking for six months before finally finding an XJ like you are describing I would expect it be listed at $4k or above (at least in Colorado) One in your price range would have > 200k miles or something wrong. Clean Cherokees are getting hard to find here.

Prices for any used 4x4 vehicle are pretty nuts out here, though. Might not be as bad on the east cost.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:24 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l

It's a shame you don't have garage access or some mechanical abilities. I have come across a few in my area that are in your budget but need a bit of this or that. I paid $1k for mine and it needed a head gasket, radiator and a new balancer. With the cost of a new thicker casting head, the accompanying parts, and a few other parts (for insurance and knowledge of their mechanical status) I ended up with mine for under $1800 doing all of the work in my buddies garage. Best of luck!