XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Synthetic Oil + SeaFoam + STP Oil Treatment = Engine Rebuild in a Can

Old 11-20-2013, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Synthetic Oil + SeaFoam + STP Oil Treatment = Engine Rebuild in a Can

I'm running Valvoline 5w30 Full Synthetic ("SynPower") oil in my XJ, for the second time. So, before I changed the oil a little over a week ago, I filled up my gas tank and used an entire can of SeaFoam in there, and halfway through that tank of gas, I added about 8 ounces of SeaFoam into the crankcase and hauled *** around some of my favorite empty back-roads for about an a our, then brought it back home to change the oil. It was extremely dirty.

After replacing the old oil with a new 6 quarts of full synthetic I added 2 ounces of SeaFoam and just half a bottle of STP Oil Treatment.

That's what I've been running for the past week or so, and I really gotta say, the results have been not only very noticeable, but extremely pleasing. It honestly feels like a brand new engine. It used to be that my throttle response / power in overdrive was nearly non-existent. The PCM would always downshift in order to accelerate at a reasonable rate. Now, I'm accelerating from 50 MPH in overdrive at low RPMs. The best part is that the PCM has apparently caught on well - if I apply plenty of throttle, it downshifts and pulls really well in third gear. Those two are the most noticeable affects, but I have been feeling the benefits across the board.

So, if you're like me and your XJ has never had any of that sort of treatment before, I highly recommend trying it. I've been very impressed considering that I haven't even done the intake treatment with the SeaFoam (with the brake booster vacuum line and such) because I was worried about the engine poop jamming up my catalytic converter more than it already probably is. However I've now got a new exhaust (headers to tailpipe) in the mail so I'll probably do that within the week and report back.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Yea SeaFoam is the bomb, my dad drank a bottle and it cured his inoperable brain cancer, that stuff's amazing.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:12 AM
Moderator of Jeeps

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1993 YJ Wrangler
Engine: 4.0 I6

Turbo,
Look up how to adjust your kickdown cable. It'll be like a new XJ.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:04 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L L6

I can't wait til this weekend. I'm pretty sure I'll finally have a chance to put on this new valve cover gasket and before I do I'm going to run Seafoam through the gas, intake, and crankcase. Then pull the valve cover, clean it up, drain the oil, then put it all back together and fill the tank with some nice fresh unleaded.

Just wish I had waited to do plugs until after the seafoam. I've heard its better that way....
Old 11-20-2013, 07:29 PM

Year: 97

so your saying you're approximately 2 quarts overfull ??

I'm not familiar with sea foam so I can't comment there, but I will say having your crankcase overfull is not good, maybe the seafoam cause's it not to 'foam' while being overful or causing it not to leak elsewhere..??

you'll lose pressure, leak into other areas, foam up, blowby, non of which can be good for a motor....

EDIT:: maybe I'm wrong, can someone please enlighten me...??

Last edited by DieselDaze; 11-20-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:21 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L L6

Originally Posted by DieselDaze
so your saying you're approximately 2 quarts overfull ??

I'm not familiar with sea foam so I can't comment there, but I will say having your crankcase overfull is not good, maybe the seafoam cause's it not to 'foam' while being overful or causing it not to leak elsewhere..??

you'll lose pressure, leak into other areas, foam up, blowby, non of which can be good for a motor....

EDIT:: maybe I'm wrong, can someone please enlighten me...??
Not sure who you're referring to...
Old 11-20-2013, 09:57 PM

so your saying you're approximately 2 quarts overfull ?? I'm not familiar with sea foam so I can't comment there, but I will say having your crankcase overfull is not good, maybe the seafoam cause's it not to 'foam' while being overful or causing it not to leak elsewhere..?? you'll lose pressure, leak into other areas, foam up, blowby, non of which can be good for a motor.... EDIT:: maybe I'm wrong, can someone please enlighten me...??
I think you misread his post... He added 2 ounces of Seafoam not 2 quarts. Seafoam is amazing stuff. If you do a little searching you'll find a bunch of research articles and tests that show its benefits in cleaning carbon and just about anything else out of engines. I can tell you I use it consistently in all of my small engines and as a periodic fuel and crankcase clean out in all my vehicles. The 1987 f-350 dump still runs like a champ. Now if I could just get rid of all the dents and dings on the outside...
Old 11-20-2013, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2014
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.6

Seafoam is the best, but there is no way I would leave it in the crankcase like you did. It is meant to be a cleaner, not an additive. You probably won't do any harm with just a couple of ounces, but it certainly won't do any good.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:36 PM

LOL ... 2 ounces....

disregard gentlemen, I'm off researching seafoam... gonna be an interesting read I'm sure, (i'm not a huge fan of additives ) unless of course they have been proven preferably thru colleges...
Old 11-20-2013, 11:05 PM

Okay its been around 25 minutes of mindless chit chat looking this stuff up..

does anyone have any independent testing links they can point me to??

I say this because I watched a lot of snake oils unfold when broken down in the lab, its a long read and confusing at best but facts are facts, most "additives" are more harmful to your motor then adding "nothing"...

links would be greatly appreciated... tia
Old 11-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by 95Cherokee
Yea SeaFoam is the bomb, my dad drank a bottle and it cured his inoperable brain cancer, that stuff's amazing.
Stopped my male pattern balding.

Originally Posted by NewKindOfClown
Turbo,
Look up how to adjust your kickdown cable. It'll be like a new XJ.
+1 every automatic owner should be doing this.

Okay its been around 25 minutes of mindless chit chat looking this stuff up..

does anyone have any independent testing links they can point me to??

I say this because I watched a lot of snake oils unfold when broken down in the lab, its a long read and confusing at best but facts are facts, most "additives" are more harmful to your motor then adding "nothing"...

links would be greatly appreciated... tia
Independent testing links for controversial additives with concrete results? This is the Internet, man! That kind of stuff gets deleted immediately!

If its the STP Motor Treatment I'm thinking of it's a knockoff of SeaFoam. Mostly paraffin and kerosene. Not supposed to be in there for any period of time.

OP I'm glad you got the crap out of your engine. You used a real filter I hope, yes?
Old 11-21-2013, 03:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997

I sprayed water into the tb after chocking it at 4 k rpm with a screwdriver. seemed to remove any and all carbon fairly quickly lol. I also *gasp add some e85 to the gas on fill ups. it has noticeably idled smoother. I think my jy 703 injectors had some buildup in them and that dreaded awful terrible e85 cleaned them out.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:54 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,522 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/free-quick-fix-41821/ Trans cable adjustment.

I'll use BG 44K in the gas before Seafoam which is mostly alcohol anyway.

Water through the intake, done properly, works very well.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by salad
Independent testing links for controversial additives with concrete results? This is the Internet, man! That kind of stuff gets deleted immediately!

If its the STP Motor Treatment I'm thinking of it's a knockoff of SeaFoam. Mostly paraffin and kerosene. Not supposed to be in there for any period of time.
LOL, *delete*...

ouch, paraffin??

label laws what a joke, you can label a product (paint) 100% acrylic, LOL liquid acrylic(acrylics natural state is solid)..... most are near 10% by volume if you're lucky... They only have to tell you whats in a can, they don't have to tell you if its good for your motor.... .that's your laws for ya...

There's only a small handful of products I would add to my vehicle. Techron, redline and some of the gumout products.. If added to the gas I always leave half gas then what they recommend, give it that extra ummpphh

so far the only thing I've found out is whats in it... roughly 55% pale oil,(mineral oil) 25%naphtha (mineral spirits), adn 20% isopropyl (rubbing alcohol)......

so far the chemistry make-up seems to be pretty lame to me...

drink up
Old 11-21-2013, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by JDHDrum
If you do a little searching you'll find a bunch of research articles and tests that show its benefits in cleaning carbon and just about anything else out of engines.
I'd be happy with one test at this point....

as stated so elegantly above, *even water will clean carbon .....

Last edited by DieselDaze; 11-21-2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: add smiley... .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil + SeaFoam + STP Oil Treatment = Engine Rebuild in a Can