Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Purchasing a cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Purchasing a cherokee

Alright im a noob to 4x4s so be easy on me haha, so i just traded ky 1970 vw bug for a 1994 cherokee xj and im going to pick it up today, its got an eight inch lift, long arm suspension, coil overs in the rear, and a custom driveshaft, and 35 inch beadlock tires, an offroad machine, but i will be using as my daily just to drive about 15 mins every day, now when i pick it up i must drive it from mississippi back to Florida about 3 and a half hour drive, he says their may be a lot of vibration, if i stay around 35 40 mph with my emergency lights on home will i be ok (vibration wise)?Also once i get it home im going to put a slip yoke elimanator on it since he does not have one on currently, or i was going to do the hack method where no slip yoke is needed, my question is with either of those methods since the lift is at 8 inches will i need to buy a custom drive shaft or should the adjustable cv drive shaft they sell on rough country work?
Thanks in advance!
Old 12-12-2015, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Most of us don't lift higher then 6 inches so we might not be much help,To know how long of a driveshaft you need you won't know tell you get under it with a tape measure.If you need one made try a local diesel shop most can make them.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

With that much lift, you will probably be looking at a custom shaft. Only real way to tell is do the SYE and measure it out, or at least order the SYE and mock it up.

You might be able to shim the axle, thus rotating the rear diff up some and get away without the SYE. I'm at 6.5" on the front 7.5" on the rear without an SYE but I'm shimmed and it runs fine.

The thing you need to figure out is WHAT is causing the vibration. Does the seller KNOW it's the rear driveshaft? Could be tires, could be worn ball joints, etc. LOTS of thing can cause vibrations on rigs that high. Hell, if I wheel in the sticky adobe we have out here in New Mexico my rig shakes like hell until I can wash it off, even AFTER the wheels have spun it all off. It could just be unbalanced tires, maybe one or more lost their weights, or is out of round. Could be death wobble, too, especially that high.

Good luck-
Old 12-13-2015, 11:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

FWIW I would find a friend with a truck and trailer and pay for his gas to go with you and haul it back if it's in the shape you say it is and not knowing about it. I can see more than just a few issues with driving it back if it even made that long of a trip.

It's what you don't know that's a show stopper every time, go prepared for it!
Old 12-13-2015, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Brayden43
he says their may be a lot of vibration, if i stay around 35 40 mph with my emergency lights on home will i be ok (vibration wise)
This whole situation sounds very dangerous and expensive. I'll bet once the vibration stops, the whole thing does too.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You should definitely trailer it back home, don't take a chance with yours and other people's safety.