XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

96 Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 Grand Cherokee

Hi all, new here.

I'm going to test drive a 96 Grand Cherokee today and was wondering if anyone had any advise on any common problems to look for. From what I know about the jeep it's been well taken care of, the seller used to live across the street from me.

138xxx miles
auto
All stock equipment to my knowledge, never been off road.

I currently own a 92 Comanche
AX15
181,xxx
Done most of the work on it myself, so I know my way around the 4.0 engine.

Looking to get a new daily driver so the MJ can become more of a project Jeep.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-08-2015, 08:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Besides the normal test drive and test the 4x4,I would check every power option it has see if it works.The rockers can rust out and the rear lower control arm body mounts can rust out also.The good thing most grands was used like minivans so it shouldn't be used and abused.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:31 AM

I've read that the transfer case sends power to the front wheels when the back lose traction. So it doesn't have to be in active 4 wheel drive to activate, am I understanding this correctly? is this system known to be problematic?
Old 12-08-2015, 03:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 liter inline 6

Hey HMU when you wanna sell that AX-15 transmission...
Old 12-13-2015, 08:06 AM

I test drove it yesterday, overall it seems to be an awesome buy (seller was asking 2k, is willing to accept 1,500).

However when driving it yesterday I noticed the transmission slipping into 2nd gear. From what I’ve read this seems to be a fairly common problem and could just be because it’s been sitting for a while, it’s not his daily driver.

I’ve also read it could be a simple fix as in Just changing out the fluid or could even be the TPS, I’m driving it again today with dad who still thinks it would be a good buy for that price.

Has another here experienced the same problems? I’m hoping its a simple fix I would still like to buy it. Just don’t want to buy it and then have to turn around and replace the tranny.

Only other issue that the seller brought to my attention is the power locks don’t work but all the power windows go up and down fine, passed inspection last May and has just been sitting, he said he drives it to the store now and then. Also checked under the Jeep, couldn’t find any evidence of any leaks or frame/body rust.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

When I worked at a Dodge dealer we a lot of complaints about the transmission slipping on the trucks. It turned out it was only the cooling fan making a lot of noise and it made people think the RPMs were higher than they actually were. May not be the case with this ZJ, but it might be something worth looking into. Smell the fluid, if it looks and smells ok it just might be the fan making excessive noise.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
When I worked at a Dodge dealer we a lot of complaints about the transmission slipping on the trucks. It turned out it was only the cooling fan making a lot of noise and it made people think the RPMs were higher than they actually were. May not be the case with this ZJ, but it might be something worth looking into. Smell the fluid, if it looks and smells ok it just might be the fan making excessive noise.

Don't think it's a fan issue. If you increase the throttle while its slipping the rpms rise but it'll take a second for the transmission to catch. Seller said it only happens when it's cold and once it's been running its fine. I parked it sent it thru all the gears leaving it in neutral and checked the fluid, it was a little low so hopefully that's the only issue, as far as color and smell it seemed fine. Not burnt or anything. And no visible fluid leaks. Says he replaced the speed sensor and the TPS along with some others, which I've read can sometimes appear as a transmission problem when they go bad.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Driving it more often might help the transmission seals soften up and seal better. If my ZJ has been parked for a few weeks it doesn't like to move in reverse the first time, never a problem as long as I keep driving it.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by ZakOlds
Says he replaced the speed sensor and the TPS along with some others, which I've read can sometimes appear as a transmission problem when they go bad.
Was the vehicle parked due to the transmission issue?
Old 12-13-2015, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Was the vehicle parked due to the transmission issue?
No, says he bought it for his daughter for high school/college and she moved and got something better on gas. He didn't want to sell but his wife told him to sell it because of insurance/taxes