Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

long arm diy question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default long arm diy question

So I bought a 98 xj and thought it had a long arm kit, however with my knowledge increasing in this sport I had been fooled. It has long arm lowers, but stock uppers so my question is has anybody has experience in converting something like that into a long arm kit? I notice that iron rock only has one arm that connects to the top from the bottom arm and the other arm is strictly a lower. Has anybody fabbed something like this up? Any pointers?
Old 11-16-2015, 10:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Could you post a picture of your current suspension. What you are talking about is called a radius arm suspension system.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by toasterknight
Could you post a picture of your current suspension. What you are talking about is called a radius arm suspension system.
I will post some tomorrow after work! Enlighten me on this "radius suspension "
Old 11-16-2015, 10:30 PM
CF Veteran

It uses a single arm that connects to the bod and the axle, the lower arm. It also uses an upper arm the connects to the middle of the loser arm and controls pinion angle.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

if your lower arms are of full length long arm type, then it should be pretty easy to just weld on a tab so you can attach an upper control arm creating a radius arm setup quite easily.

but if you have mid length arms, not as easy. you want your lowers to go all the way to the trans cross member, so about 3 foot long arms.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:53 PM

Old 11-17-2015, 06:54 PM

Don't mind the blown out bushings
Old 11-17-2015, 09:01 PM
CF Veteran

Default long arm diy question

Wow those look weakly attached. I would swap it with something like the tnt long arm kit or the serious off-road long arm kit.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 225 Likes on 175 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

What the.....
Old 11-17-2015, 10:34 PM

Wow those look weakly attached. I would swap it with something like the tnt long arm kit or the serious off-road long arm kit.
Weakly Attached how? Like to the frame? To the axle? Where the arm meets the frame? I didn't build this so I'm not going to take offense
Old 11-17-2015, 10:45 PM
CF Veteran

Where the bracket is mounted to the frame. I'm suprised that thing hasn't torn out yet. Seriously take a long look at how the kits are attached and you will see what we are talking about.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:48 PM

Where the bracket is mounted to the frame. I'm suprised that thing hasn't torn out yet. Seriously take a long look at how the kits are attached and you will see what we are talking about.
Maybe the picture is a bad picture but it's tied into the trans mount, c-channeled around the frame bolted and welded...maybe I'm missing something?
Old 11-17-2015, 11:18 PM
CF Veteran

It's a rather small bracket for the amount of load. From your description it is better than the pictures, but its still seems weak.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:45 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: stock I6

You have really bad suspension geometry right now. It's amazing the drive shaft and steering haven't been damaged. Right now when the suspension cycles up and down the axle goes through a huge amount of rotation.
You can make drastic improvement in the way it works by removing the two upper links from body to axle and create links that go from the upper axle brackets down to the lower arms using some type of bearing or flex joint.

In doing that, all the load on the axle will go directly to the only two bolts holding the front on which is the bracket attached to the cross member shown in the image. That is too much for the small bolt and bushing you have in place now and it's been mention that the bracket is sort of small.

You have a good starting point if you can fabricate/weld. You may have difficulty finding a bolt-on solution with out replacing most or all of it.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by ftwelder
You have really bad suspension geometry right now. It's amazing the drive shaft and steering haven't been damaged. Right now when the suspension cycles up and down the axle goes through a huge amount of rotation.
You can make drastic improvement in the way it works by removing the two upper links from body to axle and create links that go from the upper axle brackets down to the lower arms using some type of bearing or flex joint.

In doing that, all the load on the axle will go directly to the only two bolts holding the front on which is the bracket attached to the cross member shown in the image. That is too much for the small bolt and bushing you have in place now and it's been mention that the bracket is sort of small.

You have a good starting point if you can fabricate/weld. You may have difficulty finding a bolt-on solution with out replacing most or all of it.

Thank you! This is the kind of response I was looking for! Any who my original thought in my head was buying some adjustable upper control arms from RE or teraflex and running them to the lowers from the axle. Adjustable so I can still adjust pinion angle. Something you would suggest? At that point it would be full "radius suspension" correct?

Quick Reply: long arm diy question