Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 02:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Need opinions

Okay so about a month ago my xj was totaled in an accident, 2000 4.0 2wd 178,000 miles on it. I bought it for $2400 over a year ago and at the time thought a paid just a little to much for it. But it really was a clean well taken care of xj. Now i've been searching for another xj this past month and man is it hard to find one that is not a pos. I came across this lifted xj that seems maybe it's worth a shot. 2001 4.0 189000 miles 4x4 select trac transfer case black 3 inch lift no rust. He doesn't know the brand lift since he bought it lifted. I really want to find a stock xj and lift it myself but they are so hard to find. I was just wondering if this seems like a good xj to you guys. He wants 4000 for it but i said i don't want the rims and tires he has on it so he said he'll drop it 500$. I haven't seen it yet because it is more then an hour away but i wanted to ask before i went to see if its worth it. I don't want to spend more then 3300$ on it.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/442621381/?ref=Search

Old 03-23-2018, 09:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Clean is nice but I'd be much more interested in the condition of the oil, coolant, trans fluid. How does it sound when running. How sloppy is the handle going down the road. Noises, CEL ??? Price is too high.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Same here. In fact I noticed the valve cover has a oil around both grommets and the filler.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996

This will basically be a "how much is it worth post". Clean, well taken care of XJs are getting harder to find. But people still want them. So their price is rising fairly rapidly. Some folks are still finding "lucky deals" here and there. But in general, they are getting more expensive. I overpaid a bit for mine 2.5 years ago (only had 49k on the clock), and have no doubt I could recoup my entire amount if I sold it today. $4-5k is pretty common here for a good one (lifted or not)...and that's if you can even find one. For fun, after buying mine I watched craigslist for about 6 months consistently, and only about one vehicle every 2 months would show up worth pursuing. Most were rusted out crap boxes, destroyed interiors, super high mileage, chopped to pieces, or parts-only offers.

The days of plentiful cheap decent XJs are over. As in it is behind us and has been for a couple years at least.

If someone is between XJs right now (or wants to get started into it), and wants to be an XJ person for the next decade or so...They should buy one now, or at least start looking hard now and not delay. And be prepared to act quickly if they find one, because the good ones are lasting on craigslist only a few days. There won't be a lot of time for negotiating or back-and-forth. Because there are people actively watching the listings and waiting for the good ones to pop up. I went camping with 4 buddies this weekend, and 2 of them had craigslist bots running on their phones alerting them to every wrangler and cherokee offer that popped up.

Last edited by jordan96xj; 03-23-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 2001

I will definitely check all those things when i see the jeep in person. My main question is that i have over an hour drive to the guy to see it. I just was seeing if you guys would say or not if its worth the drive to see it. From the looks of the engine bay it has some rust in their which is not common for south florida. So it may be from another state. The guy said no major work has ever been done on the engine, so it probably has the 0331 head still on it. Oil pressure is 50 psi at start up he said. And that the cooling system is in good condition. I think around 3000$ would be a good price for it.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)

i'd say its worth $3k at least. clean cherokee's are getting harder and harder to find. if the body is straight and seems to be mechanically solid, it's a good starting point.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:48 PM

Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I've been keeping my eye on the used XJ market nationwide for a little while now. Like Jorden96xj mentioned there is a real demand for good clean XJ's. Actual market value is higher than recommended blue book value. They are going for much more than you might think. Good ones are going fast. for example, I had my eye on a 2001 XJ on ebay in Texas that sold yesterday with 154K miles and in good shape with some minor issues. I was only willing to go up to $5k and it sold for $8400.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ShadowXJ
I've been keeping my eye on the used XJ market nationwide for a little while now. Like Jorden96xj mentioned there is a real demand for good clean XJ's. Actual market value is higher than recommended blue book value. They are going for much more than you might think. Good ones are going fast. for example, I had my eye on a 2001 XJ on ebay in Texas that sold yesterday with 154K miles and in good shape with some minor issues. I was only willing to go up to $5k and it sold for $8400.
How does buying a vehicle on ebay work? Do you have to use PayPal for a transaction that large? You have to go get it yourself?
Old 03-24-2018, 05:01 PM

Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by Martlor13
How does buying a vehicle on ebay work? Do you have to use PayPal for a transaction that large? You have to go get it yourself?
Let me preface this by saying I have yet to actually make a final purchase for a vehicle on eBay. With that said eBay actually a pretty common market place for opening up the used car market nationwide. I know several people who have bought or sold cars on eBay. eBay has pretty well dialed in their system for car shopping. I would only use Paypal myself as it offers a lot of protections but the individual seller/lister sets the terms for their listing. Ebay Motors does offer financing though if you qualify. Most listing even offer an inspection service subcontracted through eBay where the subcontractor will go out and confirm for you that you are getting what you pay for before you commit to sending your payment. As far as collecting the vehicle there are shipping services available also linked through eBay Motors that you can use to pic the vehicle up for you if you can't go get it yourself or hire someone you trust to go get it. Some of the shipping I have seen for vehicles too far for me to pickup myself on a weekend look to be around $1500 to $2000 so if you were going that route you would have to consider that cost added to your bid plus any other fees or required deposits from the listing.