Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need honest opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:41 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Need honest opinions...

Ok I know I have asked similar but I need some help with the final decision...

I have narrowed it down to 2 lift packages....both shipped to my door for right around $790.

Package 1: RC 4.5" kit with RC Adjustable track bar and upgraded to Nitro shocks.

Package 2: RE 3.5 super ride kit with RE Twin tube shocks and RE 1600 adjustable track bar..(the superflex kit is way out of budget by and would put me at the $1000 mark, $800 is my budget..)

At first I was thinking a 3" RC lift..Then eventually 4"-4.5" with a front spacer and rear shackles..Then after some long hard thinking I decided if I did that then I'd want my 4"+, plus I'd want new control arms and an adjustable track bar and when I started adding things up I realized may as well just go bigger.. RC 3" with new track bar and LCA's was errm damn near $1000...

Anyways I narroed it down to 2 lifts. The RE based on everyone I have talked to has neted them around 4" of total lift which would put me pretty close to the 4" mark..With the RE twin tube shocks I could go as much as 4.5" eventually with some spacers and shackles.. Plus I'd get the nifty RE trackbar and such, plus I could likely get away without an SYE or TC Drop by adding a wedge to the rear...Now the RC 4.5" would start me out right about where I eventually want to be but would require the tc drop and eventually SYE..

So now I come to you guys for your insight and opinions of what I should do..Basically help me think out the pro's and con's and so on.. One thing to keep in mind is I am running 30" tires and won't be changing them till next year...So I know either lift will look a touch odd with 30's but it's gonna have to be that way for awhile..Plus I am going to get some new 4" bp rims to they tires will stick out a bit further and hopefully offset the small looking size on a larger lift.. So toss me your thoughts and so on..Again I appologise for yet another lift thread but I need to talk this out to make my decision a tad easier incase I have not thought of something...I have read every lift thread on this site so far.. Thanks again..
Old 07-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

If my only two budget choices were RC or RE I would opt for the RE b/c it has a better ride and if this is your everything vehicle then you also have better flex as well. JMHO!!
Old 07-07-2008, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990 2dr base
Engine: 4.0L

Personally, I would go for the 4-1/2” lift. From my experience, every time I put a lift on something, within a month I wish I had gone with a higher lift.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Renix Super Guru

You know Colorado I always thought that too, but 3.5 is as high as I want to go with a dual purpose vehicle. Now 4.5 or higher with long arms is what I would want for a trailer queen.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:59 PM

Yeah I am leaning more towards the RE 3.5....It's dual purpose for awhile and once it's not I can always add a long arm conversion and go taller...Hmmm such decisions..I am betting I can get away without a tc drop and or SYE but we'll see...I am going to the bank and transfer the cash tomorrow so I have to make my mind up by then..I hate these decisions...
Old 07-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
Ok I know I have asked similar but I need some help with the final decision...

I have narrowed it down to 2 lift packages....both shipped to my door for right around $790.

Package 1: RC 4.5" kit with RC Adjustable track bar and upgraded to Nitro shocks.

Package 2: RE 3.5 super ride kit with RE Twin tube shocks and RE 1600 adjustable track bar..(the superflex kit is way out of budget by and would put me at the $1000 mark, $800 is my budget..)

At first I was thinking a 3" RC lift..Then eventually 4"-4.5" with a front spacer and rear shackles..Then after some long hard thinking I decided if I did that then I'd want my 4"+, plus I'd want new control arms and an adjustable track bar and when I started adding things up I realized may as well just go bigger.. RC 3" with new track bar and LCA's was errm damn near $1000...

Anyways I narroed it down to 2 lifts. The RE based on everyone I have talked to has neted them around 4" of total lift which would put me pretty close to the 4" mark..With the RE twin tube shocks I could go as much as 4.5" eventually with some spacers and shackles.. Plus I'd get the nifty RE trackbar and such, plus I could likely get away without an SYE or TC Drop by adding a wedge to the rear...Now the RC 4.5" would start me out right about where I eventually want to be but would require the tc drop and eventually SYE..

So now I come to you guys for your insight and opinions of what I should do..Basically help me think out the pro's and con's and so on.. One thing to keep in mind is I am running 30" tires and won't be changing them till next year...So I know either lift will look a touch odd with 30's but it's gonna have to be that way for awhile..Plus I am going to get some new 4" bp rims to they tires will stick out a bit further and hopefully offset the small looking size on a larger lift.. So toss me your thoughts and so on..Again I appologise for yet another lift thread but I need to talk this out to make my decision a tad easier incase I have not thought of something...I have read every lift thread on this site so far.. Thanks again..
I would say rubicon expres all the way but then again theres nothing like a 4.5" lift... trust me 3-3.5 doenst even compare but if oyu do hit 4.5 be ready for an SYE
Old 07-07-2008, 11:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

I'd go RE.

With the 3.5" RE, if you ever need to go a little higher, you can easily add 2" to it and retain ride quality and end up with 5.5" of lift. Also don't forget how high RE lifts sit for the first few month/miles(and some don't ever sag down to their intended height)
Old 07-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
You know Colorado I always thought that too, but 3.5 is as high as I want to go with a dual purpose vehicle. Now 4.5 or higher with long arms is what I would want for a trailer queen.
I run a 4.5 daily on 32s and i love it... for a daily drive its even better, half the reason i love my jeep is simply the looks i get haha
Old 07-08-2008, 12:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind with a 4.5" lift your CA's will be at a much harsher angle then the 3.5" causing a much harsher ride. Just something to consider.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I started out with an RE 3.5" kit and went up from there. Still running RE coils up front (5.5").

FWIW I've built and installed a set of long arms on a rig with an RE 3.5" kit.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 2.5L I-4

I have the RE 3.5" Superflex kit on my DD, and I've been riding it that way for over a year now and absolutely love it. I was actually weighing the same options as you, but sprung for the SF kit due to the addition of the sway bar quick disconnects and SF LCAs. Still, I think I made the right decision. My thoughts were - RE parts are of the utmost quality, and while RC parts last, I know I'm getting the best of the best with RE, and there's no sense in cutting corners on things as important as suspension. Also, the RE 3.5" kits leave a lot of room for growth. I'm perfectly content with my 31" tires at the moment, but when I can afford to regear and buy an SYE and new driveshaft, I'd like to go 33s. RE already has a perfect 2" addition to my 3.5" kit that would put me at 5.5".

Also, FWIW - my lift netted me 5.5" in the rear and 5" in the front just after installation. A year later it's evened out to 4.5" all around (but my engine's about 200 lbs. lighter ).
Old 07-08-2008, 09:17 AM

Yeah I'd go with the SF but issue is I also have to get rims...so ...I have to stay on budget as well since the wife will throw a fit if I don't..THe jeep is already about $1500 over original budget after the new motor and all the new sensors and what not that went along with that..
Old 07-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Renix Super Guru

I had my lift on this Jeep for about 6 months before I changed wheels. Budget your improvements in steps. That is what I had to do.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:36 AM

I dunno these white honeycomb style wheels are pretty darn ugly and shot..I think 2 are out of round and can't be completely balanced..That happens when they sit for 2-3 yrs on flat tires..
Old 07-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Renix Super Guru

Well mine came with those same ugly wheels but mine were gold to match the limited's theme. All the chrome is not chrome but gold in color.

Quick Reply: Need honest opinions...