Sponsored by: DashLynx

Exhaust Ideas/preferations

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Exhaust Ideas/preferations

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I just have a few question about my first vehicle, 1999 4.0 i6 Jeep Cherokee Classic, it has a few problems but I am wanting to get started on modifications soon and I figured the exhaust should be first since it has a leak anyway, I am looking for something fairly cheap and easy to do, less than $200 i think is fair, was considering straight piping it but I want more opinions on what I should do, thank you in advance

sincerely,
_xjcrawford
Old 12-27-2017, 01:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

I have a 2.5" mangaflow muffler and tail pipe I ordered from performance curve along with a stock size 2.25" high flow cat I also ordered from performance curve, I am extremely happy with it and it cost a little under 200 plus I had to buy some adapters and clamps from autozone, but you could order that online too. It's not super loud, but I love the way it sounds, fairly modest but still a nice rumble. If you got a cheaper/different muffler you could save some money and maybe it would be louder. Also where is your exhaust leak at? That effects what you would want to do.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by _xjcrawford
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I just have a few question about my first vehicle, 1999 4.0 i6 Jeep Cherokee Classic, it has a few problems but I am wanting to get started on modifications soon and I figured the exhaust should be first since it has a leak anyway, I am looking for something fairly cheap and easy to do, less than $200 i think is fair, was considering straight piping it but I want more opinions on what I should do, thank you in advance

sincerely,
_xjcrawford
read this thread
Old 12-27-2017, 03:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Just get one from Performance Curve, prebent and easy to install in the driveway though I usually have an exhaust shop weld it up.

You can get a muffler + tailpipe for just under $150 before shipping. Do the catalytic converter too if it is rattling or clogged

Borla sounds the best but is pricy, Magnaflow IMO sounds way better than any Flowmaster. I hate the sound of Flowmasters on a Jeep 4.0

http://performance-curve.com/84-01ch...lpipe-1-1.aspx

Catalytic converter (NOT CA/NY emissions compliant, those are a few bucks more):
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by investinwaffles; 12-27-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by kyle96xj
I have a 2.5" mangaflow muffler and tail pipe I ordered from performance curve along with a stock size 2.25" high flow cat I also ordered from performance curve, I am extremely happy with it and it cost a little under 200 plus I had to buy some adapters and clamps from autozone, but you could order that online too. It's not super loud, but I love the way it sounds, fairly modest but still a nice rumble. If you got a cheaper/different muffler you could save some money and maybe it would be louder. Also where is your exhaust leak at? That effects what you would want to do.
The exhaust leak is right in front of the muffler, the people who had it before me tried to patch it up with hose clamps, didn't work though because the hole got bigger
Old 12-27-2017, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
read this thread
I apologize, again I am new to the forum but I wish to continue this thread so I don't lose track of comments
Old 12-27-2017, 08:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

I apologize, again I am new to the forum but I wish to continue this thread so I don't lose track of comments
i just said to read it lol, well some.... Get some ideas
Old 12-29-2017, 04:03 PM
CF Veteran

The exhaust leak is right in front of the muffler, the people who had it before me tried to patch it up with hose clamps, didn't work though because the hole got bigger
How close to the catalytic converter? if the rear outlet of the converter is rusted completely through, you might just want to throw another one on instead of trying to patch it up.

Pics would probably help a lot.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
How close to the catalytic converter? if the rear outlet of the converter is rusted completely through, you might just want to throw another one on instead of trying to patch it up.

Pics would probably help a lot.
I am not wanting to patch it, wanted ideas for what I should do to upgrade the sound, such as muffler delete and straight pipe, getting ride of the problem
Old 12-29-2017, 05:27 PM

Year: 1997

If the cat is still in good condition, Dynomax has a cat-back that has great bang-for-buck especially when you catch it during one of their many rebate times.

Performance-curve.com has some cat-backs that they sell which are also solid bang-for-buck (though I don't like FM 40's and 44's on the 4.0). They are also where you should buy a cat from if you do need one. They have some very inexpensive but quality cats.

Don't straight pipe it.

If I was you? I'd buy a Dynomax cat-back when they're offering a rebate. I did that with my previous XJ and didn't regret it one bit and would do it again if I got a second XJ. It cost me something like $100 then and took me like 30 min to swap the parts out in my driveway with nothing but a screwdriver, dremel, and hammer.

Honestly, you can just pick a muffler and have a shop make you a tailpipe if you want. We don't have long, complicated tailpipes. I personally redid my entire exhaust. Thorley header, shop-made downpipe and tailpipe out of stainless, stainless spun cat from Perf-curve, stainless FM 50 muffler. Mine cost significantly more than your budget, however.

Last edited by mschi772; 12-29-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:06 PM
CF Veteran

I am not wanting to patch it, wanted ideas for what I should do to upgrade the sound, such as muffler delete and straight pipe, getting ride of the problem
Well, I'll be honest - I don't like the sound of a straight piped Jeep 4.0, it sounds really ricey to me like a lawn mower or an old worn out pickup truck

As stated, best (subjective) sound is the Banks exhaust system. Then Magnaflow. Get the muffler with the tail-pipe section from Performance Curve. The Dynomax sounds pretty good too, but Magnaflow would get my hard earned money.

Get the catalytic converter I listed above from wherever is cheapest.

Order a
Walker 5277 Downpipe Walker 5277 Downpipe
, which connects the exhaust header to the catalytic converter. Make sure your motor and trans mounts are in good condition as well.

And finally, if you want to replace your header, get a good quality one like Gibson. Apparently Banks, ATP, PaceSetter, JBA, and especially the cheap ebay ones tend to crack at the collector, and swapping headers is not something I personally want to do every 10k miles. I would be leery of throwing a cheap header in with the kind of abuse my rig gets, but on a street only rig you will probably be OK with anything to be honest.

That is pretty much the full exhaust system, minus o2 sensors. Either weld it up at home or have an exhaust shop weld the cat and cat-back exhaust on (the downpipe just bolts up to the header). Use anti seize on all the bolts too

EDIT:
It will sound like this;

Old 01-02-2018, 09:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994

Originally Posted by kyle96xj
im running the same and love it
Old 01-02-2018, 02:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996

my old Renix 87 model, has just a cat and a straight pipe rest of the way out the back.
its not obnoxius but you know its around.
not a magnaflow fan.
If your cat is missing, I love the sound of the Thrush Sonic turbo, nice rumble sound.
what I put on my Wrangler, 258/4 barrel/Header.
Its on my next to fix list.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Here is the unpopular option. I run a Spintech muffler. They will make anything sound bad ***, even a 2L Subaru engine. I don't have a poser flick, but here is one in action

Old 01-03-2018, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by mschi772
If the cat is still in good condition, Dynomax has a cat-back that has great bang-for-buck especially when you catch it during one of their many rebate times.

Performance-curve.com has some cat-backs that they sell which are also solid bang-for-buck (though I don't like FM 40's and 44's on the 4.0). They are also where you should buy a cat from if you do need one. They have some very inexpensive but quality cats.

Don't straight pipe it.

If I was you? I'd buy a Dynomax cat-back when they're offering a rebate. I did that with my previous XJ and didn't regret it one bit and would do it again if I got a second XJ. It cost me something like $100 then and took me like 30 min to swap the parts out in my driveway with nothing but a screwdriver, dremel, and hammer.

Honestly, you can just pick a muffler and have a shop make you a tailpipe if you want. We don't have long, complicated tailpipes. I personally redid my entire exhaust. Thorley header, shop-made downpipe and tailpipe out of stainless, stainless spun cat from Perf-curve, stainless FM 50 muffler. Mine cost significantly more than your budget, however.

https://youtu.be/imKGwoIGPnw

Never really had a desire to do my exhaust but man that sounds really good!